Gibson Brands Forums

Maple top thickness on 60s 70s Tributes

SOVA_2014

I was comparing a Les Paul 60's Tribute with a Les Paul 70's Tribute (not the Studios) . They are the same vintage sunburst color. Obviously there were the differences in pickups, neck, control knobs but I figure they are essentially the same guitar as far as the body goes. Well I noticed that the maple cap on this 60's Tribute is thicker than on 70s Tribute it was being compared to. Actually the 60s Tribute seemed to be made better though they were both made in 12/2012. The color of the neck is closer to the color of the body and the paint is better on the 60s, though the edge of the rosewood fretboard isn't as neat as it should be. Does anyone know if the thicker maple was done to achieve a different tone between the two or not? I thought they would be the same. Has anyone noticed a major variance in the quality between the series of 50s,60s,70s,Future Tributes? Just curious.

Thanks for the info but these are not studios. It is actually the top I held them side by side and there is a considerable difference.

Hello!

The body of Studios is 0.5 cm thinner opposed to the rest of the Les Paul range.

It's not the top.

Cheers... Bence

... these are not studios. ...

Yes, basically they are studios. No binding. Thinner bodies. Here's a quote from Gibson's 50s Tribute website: "In honor of the decade that gave birth to rock and roll Gibson USA is proud to present the acclaimed Les Paul Studio in a unique new package." The 60s Tribute webpage calls it a "es Paul Studio '60s Tribute". All the decade tributes are Studios dressed up to represent the decade the Tribute - although there were no Studios in those decades. . B)

The top's carved down edge thickness has little to do with the actual thickness of the maple blank that glued to the mahogany back, so it's pointless to compare edge thicknesses.

I don't agree. You have the Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute, etc, etc, and then you have these. The Studios have a pick guard and other differences. I think the weight relief is different too.

Measured in about the same place the 60s Tribute's maple cap edge is 1/4" and the 70s Tribute is 3/16".

Also it doesn't matter if there were no studios in those decades because they are a tribute not a copy. The bring forward notable aspects of these decades in a guitar that is more affordable.

I followed the link. Those are studios, that's not my guitar.

Yes, basically they are studios. No binding. Thinner bodies. Here's a quote from Gibson's 50s Tribute website: "In honor of the decade that gave birth to rock and roll Gibson USA is proud to present the acclaimed Les Paul Studio in a unique new package." All the decade tributes are Studios dressed up to represent the decade the Tribute - although there were no Studios in those decades. . B)

The top's carved down edge thickness has little to do with the actual thickness of the maple blank that glued to the mahogany back, so it's pointless to compare edge thicknesses.

Thanks for the link SB. And sorry for the mistake SOVA.

But it looks like Gibson hasn't changed the formula much - to me these newer tributes appear to be weight relieved (swiss cheese) Studios with a black Corian nut. The previous models were chambered Studios with a white corian nut. And these are all at the Studio price point.

Regarding quality: I would expect some variance between models and individual guitars.

Regarding cap measurements - are you talking about two guitars, or a meaningful sample of 60s and 70s tributes? . Because .0625 of an inch (1/16") on the carved down edge would be an expected variance to me.

Archived