Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: 77 LP Custom

JM2112

Well, I certainly didn't need this, but darn it was just too nice to let it pass by. It's a 1977 Les Paul Custom with a natural finish. The guitar is very clean with a few light wear marks on the back, but considering its age that's nothing. It plays well and the tone is just awesome. The things GAS does to folks like us. ;)

I've always loved a natural finish. [thumbup]

IMG_0817_zps635890b7.jpg

IMG_0816_zps2c48510e.jpg

IMG_0815_zpsba91416a.jpg

IMG_0814_zps685dd6ac.jpg

IMG_0812_zpsc33c9731.jpg

Very nice!

The 3-piece top has that classic 70's look. Does it have a pancake body too?

Curious, the other customs appear to have rosewood fretboards but the '77 appears darker and does appear to be Ebony...

Are either of the others Ebony too?

Very nice!

The 3-piece top has that classic 70's look. Does it have a pancake body too?

Curious, the other customs appear to have rosewood fretboards but the '77 appears darker and does appear to be Ebony...

Are either of the others Ebony too?

Thanks!!! [smile]

This particular 77 does not have the pancake body, it's a single solid piece of mahogany. The fret board is ebony. I love the three piece top with a natural finish, it's just an awesome look, IMHO. I've also replaced the cream toggle switch to a black one. [thumbup]

The other two LP's do not have ebony fret boards. The burst Custom is a 2013, so it does have a single piece rosewood fret board. The wine red is a 2011 LP Classic Custom which is a Gibson USA model and it has the torrefied maple fret board.

Congrats on this nice buy, JM, HNGD! [thumbup]

One-piece body, ebony board, natural finish - looks like a lucky punch, in particular when considering condition. And what a nice plain top! [love]

You have a beautiful Les Paul trio, and your '77 is the most special one of them I think. They made great guitars during the Norlin years, too. [thumbup]

Congrats on this nice buy, JM, HNGD! [thumbup]

One-piece body, ebony board, natural finish - looks like a lucky punch, in particular when considering condition. And what a nice plain top! [love]

You have a beautiful Les Paul trio, and your '77 is the most special one of them I think. They made great guitars during the Norlin years, too. [thumbup]

Thanks!!! [smile]

Congratulations!!!

These are among the nicest Norlins. [thumbup]

Beautiful! I love these naturals. Even the maple `boarded ones.

I have a Classic Custom in that color, and changed the knobs to these, to make it look more Norlin-like.

Fretless Wonder, by the way?

Cheers... Bence

Love the natural finish. How do you find the guitar compares to your modern customs in terms of sound, feel & workmanship?

Thanks!!! [smile]

In terms of workmanship and feel all three are on the same level: top notch! [thumbup]

They do differ in tone, and that's a good thing because I don't want a duplicate guitar. The burst Custom has Custombucker pick ups and the Classic Custom has Classic 57's. I don't know what's in the 77 Custom, so I need to contact Gibson to find out the specs. The 77 Custom has a sharp more defined tone than the other two, IMHO. At the same amp settings the other two seem to have a bit more distortion to them, but all three have that awesome punch and crunch classic rock tone we all know and love.

The biggest and most notable difference is the WEIGHT!!! With a solid body man does this 77 Custom feel like you got a battleship hanging off your shoulder! The other two have traditional weight relief. It's a good thing I play sitting down most of the time.

I love'em!!! [smile]

Congratulations!!!

These are among the nicest Norlins. [thumbup]

Beautiful! I love these naturals. Even the maple `boarded ones.

I have a Classic Custom in that color, and changed the knobs to these, to make it look more Norlin-like.

Fretless Wonder, by the way?

Cheers... Bence

Thanks, Bence!!! [smile]

Yes, I know your Classic Custom very well because these natural finishes always give me GAS! I bought the wine red LPCC. I had a tough time deciding between the wine red and antique natural when I got my LPCC.

I'm not sure if it's a fretless wonder. I've never played one for a comparison. However, when moving my hand up and down the neck, particularly when doing barred chords, I don't feel the frets as much. Either way, I love it as it is. [thumbup]

I'm not sure if it's a fretless wonder. I've never played one for a comparison. However, when moving my hand up and down the neck, particularly when doing barred chords, I don't feel the frets as much. Either way, I love it as it is. [thumbup]

Those with Fretless Wonder 'board are immediately noticable. The frets are so low, like on no other guitar. Those necks feel like violin boards.

When I bought the Recording, first I felt it very strange, always missed the hand position. Had to watch my hands! The more I played, it became very comfortable and easy on hands. It took some time to adapt, though.

Cheers... Bence

Also worth showing the back of these guitars.

The British Honduran mahogany bodies aren't seen so often these days. ;)

Cheers... Bence

Bence, I'll try to get that done for you later on today. I'll take a pic of it next to my 2013 burst Custom if you want a comparison.

I don't know what's in the 77 Custom, so I need to contact Gibson to find out the specs. The 77 Custom has a sharp more defined tone than the other two

Not necessarily the same as your Norlin but the pickups in my 1978 25 / 50 are known as "Series 7" and have the thick tar sealing. Of course, mine are coil tapped. My understanding (might be wrong) is that Series 7 are the original "Dirty Fingers" pickups but this doesn't mean you can't get clean with them and nor are they (IMO) especially "dirty".

The weight is definitely true. My 25 / 50 weighs nearly 12lb. I simply could not stand up with it all night.

Not necessarily the same as your Norlin but the pickups in my 1978 25 / 50 are known as "Series 7" and have the thick tar sealing. Of course, mine are coil tapped. My understanding (might be wrong) is that Series 7 are the original "Dirty Fingers" pickups but this doesn't mean you can't get clean with them and nor are they (IMO) especially "dirty".

The weight is definitely true. My 25 / 50 weighs nearly 12lb. I simply could not stand up with it all night.

Thanks for the info, and actually one thing I have not tried is how this sounds on a clean channel. I've just been having so much fun with it on high gain.

Here you go, Bence. The 77 is obviously on the left and the 2013 on the right. The "Gibson Custom" logo on the toggle switch cover kind of gives it away, and there's also that three piece maple neck thing, too... ;)

IMG_0901_zps8598d47e.jpg

Hello!

Real beauties - both!

However, did You notice the difference between the density of the two woods (obviously You did by the weight)? But the grain and the cut is different too.

[thumbup]

Cheers... Bence

• 2 months later...

Archived