Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a legitimate Gibson banjo uke?

jarchok

I bought this banjo uke at a thrift store. It has a lot of age to it and was played hard. After doing some research I thought it might be a gibson banjo uke ub-1 or ub-2 model. However all the ones I see have 10(Ub1) or 14(UB2) tension rods and mine has 12(one missing). I found an old advertisement for the gibson ub-2 though that looked just like mine and has 12 tension rods as well. Could mine be an earlier model that was changed from 12 to 14 rods or is it just a bunch of banjo uke parts? Unfortunately i read these models did not have serial numbers either and the chip on the back was done recently when being handled by thrift store workers. I attached a folder with pictures of my banjo uke and the advertisement I mentioned.

https://imageshack.com/a/Um2z/1

I bought this banjo uke at a thrift store. It has a lot of age to it and was played hard. After doing some research I thought it might be a gibson banjo uke ub-1 or ub-2 model. However all the ones I see have 10(Ub1) or 14(UB2) tension rods and mine has 12(one missing). I found an old advertisement for the gibson ub-2 though that looked just like mine and has 12 tension rods as well. Could mine be an earlier model that was changed from 12 to 14 rods or is it just a bunch of banjo uke parts? Unfortunately i read these models did not have serial numbers either and the chip on the back was done recently when being handled by thrift store workers. I attached a folder with pictures of my banjo uke and the advertisement I mentioned.

https://imageshack.com/a/Um2z/1

Gruhn sez,

UB-1 6" head diameter, no support rod, unbound flat-plate resonator, 10 brackets, ebonized pearwood fingerboard, dot inlay at frets 5,7 and 9 ( some with 5,7 and 10) introduced: 1926 Gibson logo 1937 discontinued : 1942. UB-2 12 brackets, bound flat plate resonator, single support rod, ebonized pearwood fingerboard , dot inlay at ferts 5,7 and 10. Introduced: by 1926 17 frets 1927. Bound fingerboard, 14 frets slanted The Gibson logo in center of peghead :1930 . Dot inlay at frets 5,7, 10 and (2) at the 12th, fleur-de-lis inlay by 1932. Discontinued 1942. Hope this helps.

Gruhn sez,

UB-1 6" head diameter, no support rod, unbound flat-plate resonator, 10 brackets, ebonized pearwood fingerboard, dot inlay at frets 5,7 and 9 ( some with 5,7 and 10) introduced: 1926 Gibson logo 1937 discontinued : 1942. UB-2 12 brackets, bound flat plate resonator, single support rod, ebonized pearwood fingerboard , dot inlay at ferts 5,7 and 10. Introduced: by 1926 17 frets 1927. Bound fingerboard, 14 frets slanted The Gibson logo in center of peghead :1930 . Dot inlay at frets 5,7, 10 and (2) at the 12th, fleur-de-lis inlay by 1932. Discontinued 1942. Hope this helps.

I forgot to ad that Gibson did do white chalk serial numbers inside banjo type instruments. You might check inside.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived