Gibson Brands Forums

Lowballin'

Cougar

I was watching this guitar on ebay, figured I'd throw in a lowball bid, and ended up coming away with it! I did do a little research on it. Nobody sells it new anymore, so I wasn't quite sure what it went for new. As it turns out, there are quite a few old threads right here that talk about it, mainly about troubles with its electronics, lol. If I'd done more research here, I probably wouldn't have gone for it. But the description said it's in "excellent condition" and the electronics "work perfectly," so maybe I got lucky. It's a 2011 Epiphone Performer ME Venetian Jumbo, translucent black, kind of flamey all lam mahogany, with the eSonic2 pickups, and a like-new case. And yeah, the abalone. I wasn't really looking for any more abalone, I swear. [biggrin] Regardless, I sniped in at $207.11 and got it for $202.50 and 20 bucks to ship. How is that not a stupendous deal?

..... but remember the saying, "you get what you pay for!"

No no no, a lowball bid is going after more than what you pay for. ;) I figure the case is worth $80-100, so the guitar comes in at less than $150. Yeah, it's an all-laminate acoustic guitar. Not a highly desired item, lol. It won't be replacing my mahogany, maple, or rosewood Masterbilts. Or my Dot or 339. I'll see if it fits somewhere in the middle. :)

Although I will admit, one of my favorite guitars is a 50's Silvertone archtop I paid $50 for.

There you go!

I get what a lowball bid is and yeah its not a masterbuilt but from what I understand its a nice guitar for those times when you know it might get damaged accidently or by the elements, campfire guitar.

I hope the case is a nice fit for one of the masterbuilts. If not I can take one off your hands for your convenience. lmao

I hope the case is a nice fit for one of the masterbuilts. If not I can take one off your hands for your convenience. lmao

Haha. I'm doubting it'll fit. My Masterbilts are all EF-500s. The shapes seem marginally compatible, but I'll see. If so, I'd switch cases and put a Masterbilt in this nice Epi case, but then I'd need the other case to put this fine Performer ME Venetian Jumbo acoustic guitar in. :rolleyes:

I know they're a bit lower end, but anybody know what these guitars went for new?

MRSP $699

LA Music $529.99

Haight Ashbury Music Center $499.99

Guitar Center $429

You the man! I don't know how you find what GC used to sell it for, now that it's "no longer available" most places. Most of the big stores and internet outlets will leave up a discontinued model's "page," with specs, etc., but it seems they all take down the price. I had seen that LAmusic figure before. I recall thinking at the time, "That can't be right." Hahaha. I guess there's currently a used one at GC for $280. Without a case. That's probably a good measure. Hey, after playing it awhile, maybe I can take this Performer with case over to my local GC and see what I get for a trade-in on a new IB64 Texan? [woot] Or at least an EL-00 Pro? I guess it couldn't hurt to find out!

Well, give us a report when you get it...... but remember the saying, "you get what you pay for!"

Although I will admit, one of my favorite guitars is a 50's Silvertone archtop I paid $50 for.

Hey, if nothing else the Silvertone is all solid wood. It may be birch but it is still all wood.

Anyway, not sure I see this as lowballing as much as just be willing to pay more for it than the others. But that is how you win auctions. It all depends on how much interest there is. In this case it was low enough for the OP to get the guitar at a good price.

Anyway, not sure I see this as lowballing as much as just be willing to pay more for it than the others.

Yes, but I didn't just bid $300 to make sure I got it. I put in $207.11 with 11 seconds left. I wasn't going any higher. The next highest bidder put in a max bid of $200 several hours before, but only $165 was showing with a half hour left. I ended up getting it for $202.50, a ridiculously low price, seems to me.

It all depends on how much interest there is.

Exactly. And one can usually get a pretty good gauge of that interest by checking ebay's completed listings. But I think they only show the past month, and there may not be many examples of specific models.

If GC is selling this used for $280 then you won't get your money back with a trade in.

Yeah, I understand GC has to buy low and sell... well, competitive. I wonder if they have a "formula": Determine the 'blue book' value, subtract, like, 33%, that's what they offer? Still, that's $280 at GC with no case. So they might sell it for $360 with case. I'm only in it for $220, so I'd expect to get at least that, maybe 20 bucks more? That would give them a 33% markup. That doesn't even reach an EL-00, for which I'd also want a case. On second thought, I think I'll see how responsive my local craigslist is to a nice guitar or two.... [smile]

The Texan is a better guitar, but wait til you get your new Performer and see what you think. You may just really love it.

Yes, I'd try it out for some weeks. You're right, I may like what I can do with that eSonic2. And then start looking to lowball a like-new Texan off ebay. 8-[[wink]

You the man! I don't know how you find what GC used to sell it for, now that it's "no longer available" most places. Most of the big stores and internet outlets will leave up a discontinued model's "page," with specs, etc., but it seems they all take down the price. I had seen that LAmusic figure before. I recall thinking at the time, "That can't be right." Hahaha.

Here's where I got the $429 GC price:

http://www.polyvore.com/epiphone_performer_me_venetian_jumbo/thing?id=59940960

So that price is assuming that polyvore got it right.

Regardless, I sniped in at $207.11 and got it for $202.50 and 20 bucks to ship. How is that not a stupendous deal?

I guess it all depends on what you're after. The Performer has a laminated maple top. Typically that would mean it should be rugged, but the acoustic tone might be less than stellar (while plugged in it might shine).

If you're primarily after a good acoustic tone, one of Epi's Pro models (EL-00, Hummingbird, Dove) at $299 minus the very common 15% discount would bring it in at $254, and all three have solid spruce tops & soundhole electronics.

So for $32 dollars more, you could locally search out a good example of one of the Pro models, and know exactly what you're getting tonally (or order online & ship free), with full return options.

If you don't like the Performer, you'll have to hassle with selling it, and hopefully you'll wind up in the neighborhood of breaking even.

Certainly there may be other factors for you to personally consider, but that's my armchair take on it, and you did ask!

Hey, if nothing else the Silvertone is all solid wood. It may be birch but it is still all wood.

From what I recall seeing and/or owning, a '30s or '40s archtop Silvertone would very likely use solid woods (probably a pressed top), but a '50s or '60s model would quite possibly be laminated. In the '30s, some of these mail orderish archtop beauties utilizied carved solid spruce, such as the Harmony Cremona, and even a Gibson-made Wards with X-bracing.

Yeah, I understand GC has to buy low and sell... well, competitive. I wonder if they have a "formula": Determine the 'blue book' value, subtract, like, 33%, that's what they offer? Still, that's $280 at GC with no case. So they might sell it for $360 with case. I'm only in it for $220, so I'd expect to get at least that, maybe 20 bucks more? That would give them a 33% markup. That doesn't even reach an EL-00, for which I'd also want a case. On second thought, I think I'll see how responsive my local craigslist is to a nice guitar or two.... [smile]

Yes, I'd try it out for some weeks. You're right, I may like what I can do with that eSonic2. And then start looking to lowball a like-new Texan off ebay. 8-[[wink]

Generally speaking, used is worth about 50% or 60% of new SELLING price. (not retail, but the common price).

Trade in would be roughly half of used selling price.

All adjusted for market, of corse.

Example: retail: 1000.

selling price: 650

used: 325

trade in: 163

Obviously, if it is something that is something everyone is wanting or looks like an easy sell, they may give a little closer to the margin for trade in, or, if it isn't, not take it at all. Or if it is a guitar that is very popular, you might get more for it on the used market because poeple are actively looking for it.

From what I recall seeing and/or owning, a '30s or '40s archtop Silvertone would very likely use solid woods (probably a pressed top), but a '50s or '60s model would quite possibly be laminated. In the '30s, some of these mail order archtop beauties utilizied carved solid spruce, such as the Harmony Cremona, and even a Gibson-made Wards with an X-bracing.

Harmony never made a guitar with laminate while still in Chicago. Even the cheapest of the cheap Stellas were all wood. Laminate probably became the order of the day though when production was moved overseas in 1975. And yeah, pressed tops were common.

Kay did build quite a few guitars with laminate at least in the 1960s. On the other hand though, they also produced some very nice carved top archtops like the Television guitars in the late 1930s. These sold for about 1/3 what a Gibson L-50 would run you but having played both if I ran across them today I would without hesitation pay more for the Kay than the Gibson.

Harmony never made a guitar with laminate while still in Chicago.

Then I must be recalling the Kay's. I would frequently see them with laminated tops, but I did have one that appeared to be from the '40s with a baseball bat neck & solid pressed spruce top, maple back & sides. Refinished it for a project. Nice tone!

How long will it take for you to get it?

Huh. Just got home from playing golf and checked the tracking. "On FedEx vehicle for delivery." They had previously said Monday. There's no note on the door, so I haven't missed it. Should be here pretty soon!

....but the acoustic tone might be less than stellar....

I expect it will be. I've got some nice Masterbilts for good acoustic tone.

....(while plugged in it might shine).

Yes, I'm a bit intrigued by the nanoflex/nanomag setup.

If you're primarily after a good acoustic tone, one of Epi's Pro models (EL-00, Hummingbird, Dove) at $299 minus the very common 15% discount would bring it in at $254, and all three have solid spruce tops & soundhole electronics.

I'll pass on the birds (I'd take a Byrdland, though [smile]). I may pick up an EL-00 eventually, as you suggest. Seems like a super deal right there. And short scale.

So for $32 dollars more, you could locally search out a good example of one of the Pro models, and know exactly what you're getting tonally (or order online & ship free), with full return options.

I wonder if I could get the discount with an online order and avoid the sales tax I'd pay if I just went to the local GC store. (No problem going there to pick it up.)

If you don't like the Performer, you'll have to hassle with selling it, and hopefully you'll wind up in the neighborhood of breaking even.

Yep, it's a bit of a hassle to sell it. I expect I could get some profit out of it though. Maybe not.

...that's my armchair take on it, and you did ask!

Always appreciated!

Generally speaking, used is worth about 50% or 60% of new SELLING price. (not retail, but the common price).

Trade in would be roughly half of used selling price.

In other words, forget trading it in. That was a bad idea. [bored]

Archived