Gibson Brands Forums

Got to try out a 2015 SG Standard at GC

Greg1967

SGS15HCCH1_MAIN_HERO_01_zps97d3848d.jpg

The new specs

New and Improved in 2015

GFORCE Tuning System: Faster, more accurate, additional tunings-"Could i do without"

Zero Fret Adjustable Nut (patent applied for): Added action adjustment- "If it works good , Cool"

Upgraded Tune—o—matic bridge with titanium saddles: Ease of height adjustment and sustain- "Very cool"

Wider neck and fingerboard: Increased playing area with same string spacing- "I'm sceptical"

Comprehensive wood selection and grading: Rarest and finest materials for best instruments- "Cool if it's true"

Thicker Rosewood Fingerboard: Increased mass for sustain- "Sounds promising"

Pearl Inlays: Better appearance and value - "nice"

Smoother sanded, buffed and oiled fingerboard: Improved playability and feel- "Nice"

Comprehensive Point Setup (Lower Frets, Improved Plek, Intonation): Silky smooth action and bending, improved intonation- "Very Nice"

Improved contact output jack: Secure contact and uninterrupted signal-"ok"

More robust cables: Stronger signal strength - " yeah"

Les Paul 100th birthday signature: Honoring a true inventive genius-" **** i don't like it :(

Les Paul Hologram: Authenticity and tribute

New & Improved Hardshell Case: Improved protection (up to 15 foot drop), sleek, ergonomic, Made in USA

I think (as has been said in the past on several occasions), people are generally fine with "innovation" when it comes to advancements and features on their guitars...so long as it's an OPTION, not made mandatory.

And I don't mean as in "hey, you DO have an option: you can spend twice the money on a Custom Shop/Historic so-called 'reissue' if you want a somewhat-traditionally-equipped guitar". I mean as in, "hey, we have this nifty automatic tuning system option, an optional adjustable nut and a funky custom branding/inlay if you'd like...or you can just buy a proven, simple, effective classically-styled guitar that you've been wanting with appointments that people normally want on their Gibson."

Whomever is making, supporting and approving some of this malarkey at Big G needs to (at the VERY least) lose their jobs. What I don't understand is how can a company make some astounding moves in one year (the SG Original, the reintroduction of the sideways-vibrola-equipped SG/LP '61, affordable Melody Makers, etc) and then turn around and go all "Firebird X" or "Dusk Tiger" on us, scooping a big ol' handful of the brown muddy and flinging it in our faces? And to add insult to it, it's the attitude of "this is what you get...now buy it."

I spoke with my dollars in 2013, as the SG Original is still THE finest SG "reissue" to date till they fix their "Historic" Custom Shop models' horns and offer them in NEW finishes instead of the tired, bogus "VOS" (which is in NO way "Original Spec"); first new Gibson I bought in over a decade. I am speaking louder once again by purchasing an "Original 2" in the darker cherry finish as well. I'm even on the fence about the '61 SG/LP "Tribute", but seeing as how it's going to be another fruitless year as far as I'm concerned, I might as well. I spoke loud and clear this year, and will next year, by making no Gibson guitar purchases.

2014...12th fret "120th Anniversary" inlay. Gross. Could've been a tasteful (and replaceable) truss rod cover. If so, I would've bought a black SG Std. for live use. But no. That inlay's terrible. Who bothers with their 120th year? You want to release a 120th Anniversary MODEL? Perfect. That's awesome. But that inlay on every guitar (like the Flying V I wanted?) made me buy another Telecaster instead.

2015 looks to be more of the same mandate, except this time it's with the Min-E-Tune, adjustable metal nuts/zero-fret nonsense and corner-cutting finishing tactics which TECHNICALLY should LOWER the cost of production, yet we're hearing about no more low-end models, and price hikes on everything else? Does this mean the 2015 Historic SG's will finally be fixed and will be shiny, red-finished guitars with the right shaped horns and hardware that wasn't damaged in the flood? If not, one thing's for sure: I guess I can keep the MasterCard holstered again. My wife appreciates that.

I've read where a lot of Les Paul fans are less than pleased about these and other changes to their fave model as well. Some of us are thankful we already own some of the rare, discontinued gems (and/or a true vintage piece that we always wanted), but we always still look to see what's coming, and is there something "closer to perfection" on the horizon. I guess the answer to that is a big fat "nuh-uh".

The Fender lineup should really be an example of how to make everyone happy and still not have 100 different submodels of the main favorites. Have your US Custom Shop/Historic ACCURATE reissues, both in truly NEW and "aged" versions (because some of us think VOS, relic'd or pre-aged guitars are not "premium" or desirable items), a mid-level line of reissues (which may feature a few modern improvements, like better bridges/tuners but are otherwise fairly period-correct), a line of "standard" issue, off-the-shelf very basic versions, a "modern" line featuring the innovations and novelties, and the import line (in Gibson's case, Epiphone. Although, to be fair, some Epi models, particularly the SG models, are FAR different than their Gibson sisters, unlike the Squier/Fender comparisons, where the models are actually in most cases scary-close in terms of construction, and even quality in some cases).

I think the powers-that-be at Gibson need to ease off on the drugs, and hire some players and TRUE FANS of the company's golden years to rework their brand. Sure, these new things have their place, and there will always be people who will buy the name on the headstock and not ask too many questions. Then there will be people like yours truly who will only scratch their heads when we see more "new Coke" nonsense going on, and we'll find something interesting elsewhere. I think it's sad that overall, Epiphone's offerings interest me more than Gibson's, and I'm quite content, if Gibson is going to continue jumping the shark, to coddle my '65 SG Standard and my SG Original and call it a day.

It's just sad watching this happen. I remember this car company called Pontiac....

Good to see you back, hbomb! Been awhile! Hope all is well, with you?! [thumbup][biggrin]

2013 was a banner year, for me, as well...for SG's! Purchased 4, after

a 40 year hiatus.

270fd228-450f-46b0-8544-1f5411651592_zps53a03e0b.jpg

40c2bb04-abc6-47fa-922c-75cf782669e8_zps24629224.jpg

Nothing since, however.

WHY did Gibson decide the "les paul 100" signature needed to be put on 2015 SG Standards?

Especially, since Les didn't even like the SG versions? It's bad enough, they put that

"scrawl" on the Les Paul's, but the SG's??! Pffft!!

CB

Good to see you back, hbomb! Been awhile! Hope all is well, with you?! [thumbup][biggrin]

2013 was a banner year, for me, as well...for SG's! Purchased 4, after

a 40 year hiatus.

270fd228-450f-46b0-8544-1f5411651592_zps53a03e0b.jpg

40c2bb04-abc6-47fa-922c-75cf782669e8_zps24629224.jpg

Nothing since, however.

WHY did Gibson decide the "les paul 100" signature needed to be put on 2015 SG Standards?

Especially, since Les didn't even like the SG versions? It's bad enough, they put that

"scrawl" on the Les Paul's, but the SG's??! Pffft!!

CB

Meh...been working too much, not playing enough...moved to a new home, had all flavors of drama...finally getting settled in somewhat.

Well, I know you love my Original's "twin", and I've gotta' ask how you're digging the Capt. Kirk and the LP/SG (is the "newly engineered" tailpiece a functional device, unlike its predecessor?).

I really, really don't understand their R&D (if it even really exists) or marketing. It was looking like they were heading in some good directions (aside from some weird stuff like the "Future" guitars with the weird reverse banjo tuners, etc), and then they up and go making some very, very odd choices. You would think SOMEONE (shareholders, people who want advancement in their career at Gibson, etc) would take a look at what works (and what DOESN'T) with other companies, and that they'd use that to their advantage. You'd think. [glare]

Meh...been working too much, not playing enough...moved to a new home, had all flavors of drama...finally getting settled in somewhat.

Well, I know you love my Original's "twin", and I've gotta' ask how you're digging the Capt. Kirk and the LP/SG (is the "newly engineered" tailpiece a functional device, unlike its predecessor?).

I really, really don't understand their R&D (if it even really exists) or marketing. It was looking like they were heading in some good directions (aside from some weird stuff like the "Future" guitars with the weird reverse banjo tuners, etc), and then they up and go making some very, very odd choices. You would think SOMEONE (shareholders, people who want advancement in their career at Gibson, etc) would take a look at what works (and what DOESN'T) with other companies, and that they'd use that to their advantage. You'd think. [glare]

Yeah, your "SG Original's Twin" is just fine! Outstanding, in every way...truly! I really love ALL my SG's,

and they all play (and sound) Great! The '61 Tribute Sideways vibrola is ok...I'm not sure how much better,

than the original '61 version it is...but it seems to work ok. (I never owned a 1961 version with the sideways

vibrato...just the Lyre Maestro.) So, I don't know if it works well, just because it's just new, or if they did

in fact re-engineer it, for better performance? But, I like the "look," and since I don't really use vibrato bars,

that often, it's no big deal, to ME. [tongue][biggrin] Other's thought's and evaluations, may be different. :rolleyes:

And, they're ALL very nicely balanced...no "neck dive," at all! The "Captain Kirk" Custom is outstanding!

CB

Yeah, your "SG Original's Twin" is just fine! Outstanding, in every way...truly! I really love ALL my SG's,

and they all play (and sound) Great! The '61 Tribute Sideways vibrola is ok...I'm not sure how much better,

than the original '61 version it is...but it seems to work ok. (I never owned a 1961 version with the sideways

vibrato...just the Lyre Maestro.) So, I don't know if it works well, just because it's just new, or if they did

in fact re-engineer it, for better performance? But, I like the "look," and since I don't really use vibrato bars,

that often, it's no big deal, to ME. [tongue][biggrin] Other's thought's and evaluations, may be different. :rolleyes:

And, they're ALL very nicely balanced...no "neck dive," at all! The "Captain Kirk" Custom is outstanding!

CB

Yes, the Original got it all right in my book. I had hoped they would take cues from the response to it in order to tweak their Historics better, but whatever. Mine is pretty much everything I've ever wanted in a "reissue" SG. I figured the Douglas signature was pretty cool. If it had the period-correct late-60's neck joint, I probably would've picked one up as a companion to my Angus Young signature. The old sideways units functionally were terrible. Just terrible. Even after servicing them (oiling/cleaning) and checking the saddles and nut, you still would have issues due to the old pot-metal innards. I just wanted to get one of these since they're limited run dealies, and are quite novel to look at (if the unit actually worked, even better!). Neck-dive would never be an issue with SG's if they're vibrola-equipped, as they were meant to be. Not that I keep my hands off the guitar that long anyway, but that extra counterbalance of the tailpiece goes a LONG way to evening out the weight for sure.

Yes, the Original got it all right in my book. I had hoped they would take cues from the response to it in order to tweak their Historics better, but whatever. Mine is pretty much everything I've ever wanted in a "reissue" SG. I figured the Douglas signature was pretty cool. If it had the period-correct late-60's neck joint, I probably would've picked one up as a companion to my Angus Young signature. The old sideways units functionally were terrible. Just terrible. Even after servicing them (oiling/cleaning) and checking the saddles and nut, you still would have issues due to the old pot-metal innards. I just wanted to get one of these since they're limited run dealies, and are quite novel to look at (if the unit actually worked, even better!). Neck-dive would never be an issue with SG's if they're vibrola-equipped, as they were meant to be. Not that I keep my hands off the guitar that long anyway, but that extra counterbalance of the tailpiece goes a LONG way to evening out the weight for sure.

Well, I understand the vibrato tailpieces contributing to prevention of "neck dive," but even my

"Satin" 61 SG Standard with the stop bar tailpiece is very well balanced! 2013 was (indeed) a very

good year, for Gibson SG's!

CB

Hbomb is back!! Your rantings inspired me to buy these:

11091276156_c65234753f_o.jpg

Good Choices! [thumbup][biggrin]

So, CJ..how do you like your "sideways vibrola?" Did you own an original

version, years ago? Or, is this your first experience with them? Mine

seems to work just fine, really. As I stated previously, I don't use it

that often, but when I do it seems to be fine. How about your's?

CB

Good Choices! [thumbup][biggrin]

So, CJ..how do you like your "sideways vibrola?" Did you own an original

version, years ago? Or, is this your first experience with them? Mine

seems to work just fine, really. As I stated previously, I don't use it

that often, but when I do it seems to be fine. How about your's?

CB

I'm like you, never had one, always liked the look, don't use it much. I just shake the neck when playing chords for vibrato, that's the beauty of an SG.

Hbomb is back!! Your rantings inspired me to buy these:

11091276156_c65234753f_o.jpg

Glad to see I led you in the right direction, padawan! :)

Lookin' good! And lemme' guess...no "sustain" issues whatsoever like people whine about, right? :D

You guys are the reason I bought a 2013 Standard. I was very skeptical because the only one I had ever played, in 1984, had terrible action. After reading what CB, CJ, hbomb, capmaster, rabs, etc. had to say about the '13s being back to what an SG should be I decided to try one out. Awesome guitar!!! Thanks guys!

I'm waiting to pounce on a Firebird next. Come on Gibson it's desperation time. Too many 2014 Firebirds out there in stock. Time for the 40% off sale and I don't mean 40% off list!

Chris: Totally! I think (like with the general public's preference of Strats over Teles) people underestimate the bark and bite of the SG; I used to love when this one guitarist I played in a cheesy cover band with would try to argue about "tone" with me. He'd whip out his vanilla Les Paul and plug up to his Marshall tube head, and I'd be standing there with my SG (sometimes even one of my EPIPHONES) and would walk over to my Marshall AVT (hybrid) and alter the EQ ever so slightly, and boom. You could blindfold someone, spin them around and tell them to listen and tell who's who, and the only way they would be able to tell is by the fact that I played the intro to "Sweet Child O' Mine" more smoothly. [tongue] Seriously though, and I really think Gibson should push this fact more than they do, that's one good thing about most Gibsons in general, a few tweaks and you can make any of their mahogany-based, 2 humbucker-equipped guitars sound almost identical. Me, I like the look and the full fretboard access on SG's better, so that's always been my choice. I know a guy who's the same about Explorers. They just "fit" him, and he stuck with them. There is no "right" or "wrong" answer, after all.

Jim: I've played some turkeys myself, but mostly it's either been grotesque factory flaws which you don't normally run across (binding issues, bad neck sets, faulty components) or just terrible setups that make them play like $h!t; like aforementioned LP-guy I used to play with---dude's action on his guitars was higher than on a guitar someone would set up for exclusively-slide playing, so high you bent notes sharp simply by fretting (he would pick up one of mine and note how much better it felt). But that was his fault, because in his 40-something years of playing he never learned how to adjust a truss rod or lower a bridge. Sad. It wasn't the guitar's fault in that case, it was the owner's stupidity and laziness. But I digress. Yeah, a poor playing example of a guitar can turn you off to the species, so to speak. Sometimes, like for example with a scalloped fretboard or too flat a radius or something, it's a legit problem for some players. Glad you took a chance and got one of the "good ones" while the window was open. Welcome to the club. [thumbup]

Super happy with my two 2013s -- one standard tuning, one C#. Had a choice between these and 2014s and the computerized tuning gizmos ruled out the 2014s. Maybe years down the road I'll laugh at my resistance to this particular change, but for now they're a total non-starter. Does anyone know if any of the big-name endorsers are playing with them live, or are they all still on the traditional set-up?

post-67283-006889900 1412555263_thumb.jpg

I don't know I seen many shows this year and many SGs but none with the recent innovations. I'm surprized the electronics on the Kirk wasn't repeated or the SG for that matter. Best sounding SG I have heard. The middle pick-up with the blend is stellar. Maybe on the next one no batwing and an ebony board. I would have to buy another one. lol.

The new 2015 headstock decal is seriously ugly. I'm kinda surprised by it. Is the ES series affected? I can't imagine that, I would be disappointed in fact. Not that it shouldn't matter as much for all the guitars but for classical and jazz, strikes me as odd with the innovations.

I don't know I seen many shows this year and many SGs but none with the recent innovations.

Not to say I'll blindly follow what the top guns are doing, but when I see Slash or Zakk with tuning-gizmo-equipped LPs on stage, or some other top player doing the same, I'll think about it. Until then, in my mind it looks like a 1980s video game console on the back of the headstock.

Archived