Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard for SG special..??

SG Mark

Howdy everyone..

First post for me in here.

I have a new Gibson SG Special (120th anniversary) and love it... one thing about my SG that kinda irritates me is lack of Pickguard !!... what the heck..??....I have never had a Electric Guitar without one and was wondering how do others feel about lack of it..?? I think lt would have looked awesome with it but,.. not about to modify my Guitar !

Has anyone added his own pickguard to a SG Special..??

BTW, She is my very First Gibson ever... [biggrin]... been with "F" brand for 40 years now !!

Hi Mark! Welcome to the forum. [biggrin]

I just recently got my first Gibson also, although I have owned epiphones for years. I also own some fenders too.

I got an SGJ and really like it. It is like your Special; without the PG.

When I got it, I thought I might end up putting a PG on it. But after getting it, and seeing how wonderful the finish is, and the excellent grain in the wood, I don't think I am going to be able to do it. It's just too beautiful to cover up with a black piece of plastic.

Let us know what you do. And hey, how about a pic or two of your new SG?

Hi brad, Thanks for your reply.

I will not do anything to my Guitar...all my guitars are stock and as is... I just pick what sounds good to me and stay with it !

Here's a picture of my SG.

CHEERS [thumbup]

I like that color!

Looks very nice, especially next to that tele. [thumbup]

Speaking of the Tele....that one I just picked up on a business trip last week in Albany. N.Y.... it is a "California series", USA Telecaster made in 1997, in Fiesta Red with 5 way selector to split the Hunbucker on the neck...

she is a replacement for a Crimson Red "Telecaster Special" (Identical Mexican made cousin) stolen from my car after a recording session in L.A. back in 2006.....:(

post-67719-040389700 1411618761_thumb.jpg

Howdy everyone..

First post for me in here.

I have a new Gibson SG Special (120th anniversary) and love it... one thing about my SG that kinda irritates me is lack of Pickguard !!... what the heck..??....I have never had a Electric Guitar without one and was wondering how do others feel about lack of it..?? I think lt would have looked awesome with it but,.. not about to modify my Guitar !

Has anyone added his own pickguard to a SG Special..??

BTW, She is my very First Gibson ever... [biggrin]... been with "F" brand for 40 years now !!

Same here. I have a 2014 SG Special. I found a site that will create a custom pick guard for it. I created the template in AutoCAD and printed it as a PDF file for them to use as a template. I would be happy to send you the template. You can print it out full size on an 8.5x11 sheet and cut it out to make sure it will fit on your SG before you commission them to create it for you. I used the SG Standard half face as prototype and modified it since the Specials have 24 frets. I don't think I can get an exact match to the pickup rings (those cream colored rings..)so I will probably replace them with black rings and a black poker chip on the switch.

Speaking of the Tele....that one I just picked up on a business trip last week in Albany. N.Y.... it is a "California series", USA Telecaster made in 1997, in Fiesta Red with 5 way selector to split the Hunbucker on the neck...

she is a replacement for a Crimson Red "Telecaster Special" (Identical Mexican made cousin) stolen from my car after a recording session in L.A. back in 2006.....:(

What a nice Tele! Thanks for posting it.

I love them with a bucker in the neck. I have a Squier with a mini in the neck and love it.

What a bummer about that one being stolen.

So that makes this new one a "Telecaster Extra-Special"! [thumbup]

Hey Mark welcome,

Well I have the SG Standard HC and to tell you the truth I'd prefer it didn't have the pickguard but I'm not going to remove it because it does capture lots of scratches. I just like to non-pickguard look. But if you're worried about scratches then by all means add one. Heck some guys even like the full batwing. Jim

Archived