Gibson Brands Forums

SG - unwound strings unraveling at stop bar

namklak

I have a new Angus Young Signature SG. I've used GHS Boomers on my Strats for years. With my 9 month old SG, I've had 5 strings unwind (mainly E and B ) at the bobbin (the string part in the stop piece). Can a stop piece cause this? Although the GHS Boomers are my #1s, I use Ernie Balls for my individual replacement strings, and haven't had a problem with these. I had one GHS unwind during a gig Friday night, HELP!!!

Thanks,

-Bob

Hello and welcome here, Namklak.

It's not a problem of the guitar or the stopbar but an improper attachment to the ball end. This problem repeatedly occurred with strings of various brands, and there are reports in lots of web fora.

After years without encountering this problem, it happened to me several months ago with some E1sts of a certain batch of my favorite strings. They unwound on stopbars, TP-6 finetuner tailpieces and bushings on Telecaster backs as well. In my cases, B2nds were never affected.

The dealer I bought them from replaced them without charge. Anyway, it's not funny, in particular when having no appropriately crafted replacement at hand. [crying]

Hey Namklak welcome!

I use Boomer CLs on my SG and have never had that issue with them but I would agree with capmaster it has to be a string issue. I have seen this with cheap replacement strings but never in a 6 pack of Boomers or EBs or D'Adario or Martin or Gibson. Having it unravel during a gig would definitely irritate me and make me look at another brand. Jim

• 1 month later...

Archived