Gibson Brands Forums

Just picked up this gorgeous girl for DIRT CHEAP

duane v

Smokin' hot flames.

Man, what a beauty. Looks fantastic. How do you like the electronics?

Congrats. . B)

BTW: Did you give up on the Gibson 12 and go with the Songwriter 6?

The electronics are really balanced.... I run my acoustics through a Fishman LoudBox 180 watt and a Zoom A3 Acoustic effects box.... It simulates a 12 string pretty darn good so my search has been soft for a 12 string until the one I want comes up. The Fishman LoudBox works great when my singer and I do acoustic sets at the local coffee shops and small parties.

LOL

I'll come up with a name soon..... The one thing that's throwing me is the bridge and the fretboard wood species [confused] ..... It's either a very dark rosewood or a strange wood grained ebony..... I looked up specs on this year and it states ebony???

LOL

I'll come up with a name soon..... The one thing that's throwing me is the bridge and the fretboard wood species [confused] ..... It's either a very dark rosewood or a strange wood grained ebony..... I looked up specs on this year and it states ebony???

It looks like Indian rosewood from here. More brownish than reddish.

Of corse, if you spent more time on the forum than spending time with your band practicing and playing music, you might know that.

The one thing that's throwing me is the bridge and the fretboard wood species [confused] ..... It's either a very dark rosewood or a strange wood grained ebony..... I looked up specs on this year and it states ebony???

Ebony can have light sections of coloration (brown or white are common).

Martin used to use the term "striped ebony" on many of their instruments.

Btw, congrats!

LOL

Gibson doesn't do much ebony, and unless the pictures lie, that's rosewood. I'm not a big fan of the era of big ol' preamps stuck in the sides of beautiful acoustic guitars, but I might make an exception for that :). If it sounds as good as it looks...well, just let me know when you get tired of it, OK? :)

P

My geetar was delivered, and the fretboard and bridge are ebony.... Also this isnt a used guitar, its a brand new 97 EC30. The frets have never had a string run across it. Not one dent on any of the frets. Not one scratch or ding. All the warranty and case candy is untouched. The case is dusty but not any scratches on the case.... A total time capsule

What I cant figure why a guitar like this would sell for $1399 [confused] .... Also it has a one piece back like the older archtops.

IMG_6282_zps7fdc6f6e.jpg

IMG_6274_zps5f83fa71.jpg

IMG_6275_zps0295636b.jpg

IMG_6278_zpsd4632177.jpg

IMG_6280_zpsa2b2e5ea.jpg

IMG_6279_zps38536bba.jpg

IMG_6283_zps5caffaaf.jpg

thanx brothers and sisters.... It doesnt quite have the punch my J200 standard has, so I'm thinking I might upgrade to ivory pins, bridge saddle and a bone nut to help it out just a little. My J200 sounds perfect with all the stock stuff. Blonde sounds very good, but it needs a little help. I'm wondering if the laminate 1 piece back is holding her back just a little [confused]

I have a 1994 Gibson Gospel Reissue in my collection and my initial reports impression was to also wonder if it's lam back was holding it back. But, I later and still have learned this is not so. The more I played the guitar and grew used to its sound, the more I realized the guitar is an absolute workhorse. It is now my main jam guitar at the bi-monthly acoustic music jams I run as it can cut through 10 other guitars with leads and has a great rhythm sound. I also have used it at a number of gigs where it started as my backup guitar, but ended up often being my gig guitar (though not always).

I did put in a good bone saddle that somewhat raised the action to increase the guitar's volume. I also put in wooden bridge pins to round out the wood sound a bit (as a nuance).

I also use 80/20 bronze strings on it (12s) to give it a darker tone as opposed to phosphor bronze. Plays and sounds great and is solid as a workhorse guitar. I often get folks saying to me what model is that one cause it's not the typical well known model folks usually see. It's got great blonde wood on its top and mahog color back and lam sides. The lam back forms a unique sound chamber.

Not exactly the same model as yours, but in the same genre. Similar pickguard, too.

Gibson has made a number of great models over the years that are outside the realm of their standard well known models. They're great guitars, but sell for less because they're not J45s, Hummingbirds, Doves, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, your model was kind of a predecessor to the Songwriter (as was my Gospel Reissue) both of which seemed to morph into the Songbird at some point and then morphed into the now popular standard modern take on Gibsons, the Songwriter model. They are all kind of in the same lineage, some early in the lineage.

Give it some time you'll find its a great player's guitar.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

Nice tips Jeff [thumbup]

I'm very happy with the instrument. Tomorrow it's going in for a complete set-up as all my instruments do when I first get them. My Luthier has all the ivory and bone upgrades I need and will have it all done by Friday.... I'll also try the 80/20 bronze strings (as you suggested) and see where that takes me.

She's gonna be a keeper [thumbup]

I just opened this black bag and there's a Gibson Humidifier :blink: .... when did Gibson stop doing this???

My '00 J100 definitely came with one, and I think my '02 J45 Rosewood had one too. Not sure because I owned quite a few other Gibson models around that time, and at some point threw all the humidifiers away - except for one to use as a soundhole cover.

If I'm not mistaken, your model was kind of a predecessor to the Songwriter (as was my Gospel Reissue) both of which seemed to morph into the Songbird at some point and then morphed into the now popular standard modern take on Gibsons, the Songwriter model.

Actually, this guitar appears to have turned into the J185-EC in 1999, with all major appointments intact, including the ebony bridge & fingerboard.

The J185-EC remains in production, but assorted specs have changed over the years.

thanx brothers and sisters.... It doesnt quite have the punch my J200 standard has, so I'm thinking I might upgrade to ivory pins, bridge saddle and a bone nut to help it out just a little. My J200 sounds perfect with all the stock stuff. Blonde sounds very good, but it needs a little help. I'm wondering if the laminate 1 piece back is holding her back just a little [confused]

It could be simply that, after all this time, it hasn't been played. Once you get thumping on her she'll open up some.

I also use 80/20 bronze strings on it (12s) to give it a darker tone as opposed to phosphor bronze.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

Great call on the strings [thumbup] ..... Picked up my guitar from my Luthier last night and those string took some of the brightness out of the tone.... Very noticeable difference.

Archived