Gibson Brands Forums

Original Strings

StRanger7032

Possibly a dumb question, but forgive me. Does anyone know what strings they put on a new Epi acoustic from the factory? When I got my Caballero, I was planning to junk the strings and replace them immediately. I never got around to it, and I've actually been really impressed with the ones it came with. I normally put Martins or Rotosounds on my acoustics, and I find the wound strings tarnish very quickly. I've been playing the Cab heavily for a month and the strings are almost like new. I would guess they use Gibson strings, probably .012, but I'd love to confirm what they are so I can get more.

Hmmm ... my DR500mce I believe had d'addario's but man now you have me scratching my head LOL . My guitar luthier sells only the D's and swears that there the best strings out there for even tone and consistency.

There are I like but don't last long like Ernie Ball Earthwoods love the sound they have but only good for a week but man they sing for that short time at least to me ... But the D's have been very good and long lasting.

I have switched from the Martins to them as the man stay but I am trying out the new Ernie ball aluminum Bronze as of yesterday and so far I'm mixed they sing with a pick but seem tp mellow out more then usual when finger picked maybe it's just me Oh and they are a little rough feeling/resistent on the slide just the wounds though Yaaaaaay ........... WD-40 ! LOL .

kind of drifted there didn't I sorry :( ... :)

Possibly a dumb question, but forgive me. Does anyone know what strings they put on a new Epi acoustic from the factory? When I got my Caballero, I was planning to junk the strings and replace them immediately. I never got around to it, and I've actually been really impressed with the ones it came with. I normally put Martins or Rotosounds on my acoustics, and I find the wound strings tarnish very quickly. I've been playing the Cab heavily for a month and the strings are almost like new. I would guess they use Gibson strings, probably .012, but I'd love to confirm what they are so I can get more.

D'Addario 12=53 phospherus

Hmmm ... my DR500mce I believe had d'addario's but man now you have me scratching my head LOL . My guitar luthier sells only the D's and swears that there the best strings out there for even tone and consistency.

There are I like but don't last long like Ernie Ball Earthwoods love the sound they have but only good for a week but man they sing for that short time at least to me ... But the D's have been very good and long lasting.

I have switched from the Martins to them as the man stay but I am trying out the new Ernie ball aluminum Bronze as of yesterday and so far I'm mixed they sing with a pick but seem tp mellow out more then usual when finger picked maybe it's just me Oh and they are a little rough feeling/resistent on the slide just the wounds though Yaaaaaay ........... WD-40 ! LOL .

kind of drifted there didn't I sorry :( ... :)

Im going to try these new aluminum copper ernie ball strings they are suppose to be amazing

Im going to try these new aluminum copper ernie ball strings they are suppose to be amazing

aluminum bronze ? They have copper ones ? hahaha .... I'm trying the 12/54's and only for open tunings , now I'm still not sure if I fully like them or not it mostly comes down to what you want to use them for or how your ear hears them .

There brighter sounding and have more punch but something just does not sit right with me yet compared to the D'addario's the D's are smoother and my hammers and pull offs on the D's ring out better doing the same action on the Alumi bronze it seems hard to get the taps to ring out and sustain, maybe it's just me . They also still feel rough on the slides as well . ..... Nope I did not use the wd-40 yet LOL

But don't let my concerns dissuade you from trying them strumming they sound great ! have not done a recording yet to hear that side of it . Trivia side of it Andy Mckee and one other guy helped develop them and Andy say's that these are what he's using as of now. :unsure:

aluminum bronze ? They have copper ones ? hahaha .... I'm trying the 12/54's and only for open tunings , now I'm still not sure if I fully like them or not it mostly comes down to what you want to use them for or how your ear hears them .

There brighter sounding and have more punch but something just does not sit right with me yet compared to the D'addario's the D's are smoother and my hammers and pull offs on the D's ring out better doing the same action on the Alumi bronze it seems hard to get the taps to ring out and sustain, maybe it's just me . They also still feel rough on the slides as well . ..... Nope I did not use the wd-40 yet LOL

But don't let my concerns dissuade you from trying them strumming they sound great ! have not done a recording yet to hear that side of it . Trivia side of it Andy Mckee and one other guy helped develop them and Andy say's that these are what he's using as of now. :unsure:

lol good call that's what they are aluminum bronze

D'Addario 12=53 phospherus

Thanks, Cliff. I would never have guessed they used something other than Gibson strings. I know what I'll be using from now on. I'll probably move down to 11s, though. I've used Martin SP acoustic strings for years and they don't seem to be as good as they used to be.

Here's what I just got back from Gibson customer service:

Epiphone installs a set of phosphor bronze 12-52 gauge acoustic strings on their Inspired by 1964 Texan model. Thanks.

Here's where to buy them:

http://www.gibson.com/en-uk/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Strings/Epiphone%20Strings/Acoustic%20Guitar%20Strings/

Here's what I just got back from Gibson customer service:

Epiphone installs a set of phosphor bronze 12-52 gauge acoustic strings on their Inspired by 1964 Texan model. Thanks.

Here's where to buy them:

http://www.gibson.com/en-uk/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Strings/Epiphone%20Strings/Acoustic%20Guitar%20Strings/

That's what I suspected all along. Thanks! They're damn good strings, actually.

Archived