Gibson Brands Forums

Whats was the best Beatle Album?

daveinspain

Just finished a long road trip and was able to listen to lots of music I hadn't heard in a long time and it made me wonder…

For you young guys who haven't listened to all the albums, listen to them before you cast your vote… No rush to answer :-"

I'll start it off with a vote for Sgt. Pepper's

Even though there are other great albums< remember in the 60s they were called albums> my favorite is Rubber Soul.

I am a Huge Beatle fan and actually like 95% of their tracks, I keep going back to Rubber Soul and listen to it the most.

Huge Beatles fan. Loved everything they did, but I keep going back to Abbey Road. The creativity and technique were still in full bloom, but the recording & mastering finally caught up with what they were hearing in their heads. Still sounds like it was recorded last week. Kudos to George Martin...

Huge Beatles fan. Loved everything they did, but I keep going back to Abbey Road. The creativity and technique were still in full bloom, but the recording & mastering finally caught up with what they were hearing in their heads. Still sounds like it was recorded last week. Kudos to George Martin...

I totally agree. My second would be Revolver followed closely by Sgt. Pepper.

But they're all good. :)

For you young guys who haven't listened to all the albums, listen to them before you cast your vote… No rush to answer :-"

What about the old guys who have heard them but don't remember so well?

Having a hard time with this one. Keep changing my mind. So far, those posting seem pretty sure. But me, I have always gone from one to another as to which is the "best".

Do I go for "Hard Day's night" when they were just coming into their own while still diplaying the raw talent of their youth? Or the polished flow of "Sgt. Peppers"? or do I choose the most heartfelt of "Let it Be"?

I bet you thought I was going to bring up the Stones, didn't you?

Hard to argue against an album certified 12x Platinum in 1991 before selling 5 million more copies & was the best selling vinyl album of 2011!

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my oldest son's girlfriend (in 2006) was a Beatles fan.

Abbey Road is a "Tour de force." Side 2's "Medley" is 16 of the best minutes in music!

As far as number 2...I can't decide between Sgt. Peppers and the "White Album."

Revolver would be next.

I would have to say that for me, there is no "best". I like them all and I think you have to take into account the time frames that some of these albums were recorded, and what was going on at the time. Lennon has said something to the effect of "Rubber Soul" was the marijuana album, "Revolver" was the cocaine album, etc.

I've always been a bit partial to Rubber Soul (you're not alone brc LOL), Abbey Road, and Sgt. Peppers, but that takes nothing away from my enjoyment of their other works as well.

"A Hard Days Night" I've often considered a forgotten Gem. , "Magical Mystery Tour" is often over looked, because it came out while the world was still reeling from "Sgt Peppers". And side 2 of Abbey Road is about as brilliant as a band could ever hope to be. But all that said, Revolver is still my all time favorite., IMHO.

Very difficult question but I've voted for 'Revolver' as it distilled everything they had been into what they would become if you see what I mean. Pop became rock, perhaps.

Nevertheless 'Pepper' was another giant leap....the White album would have made a brilliant single album but is uneven....'Abbey Road' is the thrilling finish, really the end of the game and only came into being because the abortive and turbulent 'Let It Be' sessions made them realise they could no longer record together as a band without overdubbing parts separately.

But 'Revolver' caught them still on the ascent and just coming up to the peak.

I was born in 1954 so they were and always will be the biggest heroes of my childhood (along with Jimi Hendrix) and I now strongly believe that they broke up at exactly the right time, and that Yoko was not responsible either. Lennon predicted his band would break up, immediately after the death of Brian Epstein in 1967.

Great topic!!

regards to all

JohnM

I had to go with Sgt. Pepper as it just transformed the pop and rock musical landscape.

I think that pretty well sums up their entire body of work, not just "Pepper."

I played in a Beatles tribute band for about 4 years, and even with sampling keyboards, 4 vocalists, 2 guitar players, me on bass, a drummer and a dedicated full-time multi-instrumentalist, it took 6 (and occasionally 7) of us to pull off their sound live (we used no tape loops and were damned proud of it). Clearly, we were NOT of the "dress-up" variety of tribute bands, but we did endeavour to faithfully recreate their sound live, on-stage for 3 hours a night.

Probably the best band I'd ever been associated with, no drama, very successful financially and personally rewarding and enjoyable due to my love of the material, but I can tell you first hand, it's MUCH easier said than done...at least if you're trying to respectfully recreate the music and not just thrash out a recognizable cover.

Archived