Gibson Brands Forums

Whats was the best Beatle Album?

daveinspain

Abbey Road. I thought it was their finest musical contribution, to all of their other fantastic albums. It also released in 1969, that turned out to be a significant time in my life. lPcodIX.gif

I voted for Rubber Soul, but revolver is a close second..

Why? I just happen to like most of the songs on both of these albums.

I Think Abbey road is probably choice #3

Like a quite a bit of The White Album,, but there's just a few too many on that one I don't enjoy hearing, so I don't find it entirely appealing.

I had to go with Sgt. Pepper as it just transformed the pop and rock musical landscape.

Incidentally, and thi sis totally off topic, but I had once heard from one of my band mates, (who probably knows more about the Beatles than anyone possibly could) that Sgt Peppers was an idea that they got from Elvis when he sent a Cadillac on tour, instead of "him"

So they pushed out Sgt. Peppers, but never toured as a follow up? (some of the details may be cloudy,, this was some years ago he mentioned this, and I've not seen him in a few years now to ask)

Anyone that knows more care to elaborate?

I had to go with Sgt. Pepper as it just transformed the pop and rock musical landscape.

Incidentally, and thi sis totally off topic, but I had once heard from one of my band mates, (who probably knows more about the Beatles than anyone possibly could) that Sgt Peppers was an idea that they got from Elvis when he sent a Cadillac on tour, instead of "him"

So they pushed out Sgt. Peppers, but never toured as a follow up? (some of the details may be cloudy,, this was some years ago he mentioned this, and I've not seen him in a few years now to ask)

Anyone that knows more care to elaborate?

Not sure where I saw it, but I remember a video clip of Macca, saying that he came up with the concept of a "band within a band" if you will. The Beatles, performing but not as the Beatles, hence "Sgt Peppers." As for rushing it out, I remember him saying that it took so long to record Pepper, that people were saying the Beatles had peaked and run out of ideas, to which Macca replied "You just wait!".

I'm thinking that video clip was from Scorcese's "Living in the Material World", but I could be (and probably am) wrong on that.

For the longest time, this Beatle Fanatic went back and forth between Rubber Soul and Revolver as his favorite (and hence, "best") Beatles album.

But recently, I finally settled on Revolver.

With Revolver, we saw the band reach a milestone as masters of the recording studio as well as songwriters. I also think that they were at the height of their career as a band. Following that album, they began their slow drifting apart.

What I want to know is...

Where is Yesterday & Today in this poll??? [flapper]

Ah, yes... U.K. vs. U.S. albums. A subject I have gotten into some very heated debates over with fellow Beatlemaniacs. Perhaps for another time in another thread. [wink]

Now, back to our regularly-schedulde program!

I was listening to the young, hip, morning show on the local rock station the other day. Their format is mostly hard rock and modern rock with some old classic like Zep, Hendrix etc. Rarely if ever play Beatles. Well they played a clip of (just to make fun of it) a cover "Lucy in the Sky..." by The Flaming Lips. Then they played the original Beatles and were all saying how great it is.

I thought it was cool how these young dudes were all praising The Beatles and the one guy even said he doesn't trust anyone who says they hate The Beatles. He said, you might not like them and that's fine. It's just an opinion of music. But if you actually hate them , there is something not right with you. :-k

Abbey Road because the long Medley on side 2 is superb - actually from Because through the Medley plus Her Majesty is like a rock symphony to me.

Notes

PS I'd make Rubber Soul and Magical Mystery Tour two runner-ups - but don't forget Sgt.Pepper with A Day In The Life. Best was easy, second best is hard.

What I want to know is...

Where is Yesterday & Today in this poll??? [flapper]

Ah, yes... U.K. vs. U.S. albums. A subject I have gotten into some very heated debates over with fellow Beatlemaniacs. Perhaps for another time in another thread. [wink]

Now, back to our regularly-schedulde program!

But an entirely valid point. The content differed significantly, but so did the mixes.

I've got an original 45 of Day Tripper (1965 release, orange & yellow Capitol swirl label, so definitely intended for the US market). I have NEVER heard that mix anywhere else. For awhile I believed it might have been mono, but when the bass comes in the second time they play the main riff in the intro, it's balanced toward the left, but not hard-panned like every other mix I've ever heard. Couple of differences in the cymbals too. Most people wouldn't even notice, but I MUCH prefer this mix to any other. MUCH heavier.

I actually prefer the US mix of Help! (with the "James Bond" intro) too.

Yup, valid point indeed...

I love them all and it is very hard for me to pick which one I like the best but I ask myself "if I was stranded on a deserted island which one if I could only pick one would I take" ?? So by that logic I voted for the White Album for its diversity but also and mainly because it is a double album. may not be scientific or artistic but it is logical..LOL I do love them all

But an entirely valid point. The content differed significantly, but so did the mixes.

I've got an original 45 of Day Tripper (1965 release, orange & yellow Capitol swirl label, so definitely intended for the US market). I have NEVER heard that mix anywhere else. For awhile I believed it might have been mono, but when the bass comes in the second time they play the main riff in the intro, it's balanced toward the left, but not hard-panned like every other mix I've ever heard. Couple of differences in the cymbals too. Most people wouldn't even notice, but I MUCH prefer this mix to any other. MUCH heavier.

I actually prefer the US mix of Help! (with the "James Bond" intro) too.

Yup, valid point indeed...

In that case - Hey Jude (The Beatles again).

Archived