Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Recording Artist ?

Quake

Is anyone familiar with this model? It is a limited run of 50 in koa/Adirondack which is unusual. I'm not sure what to make of the specs though? It appears to be a Hummingbird Artist with '30's bracing, possibly derived from the AJ? Like the sound and looks though.

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/12094001.php?CategoryID=435&n=9

Another Hummingbird model. Will Gibson ever get it? The public knows the difference between an actual Hummingbird, and a guitar with a Hummingbird sticker inside the sound hole. If you really want a Gibson Hummingbird, by all means get one, they are great guitars...but this model here is simply put,not a Hummingbird. It pays to know the difference when buying these, because Gibson doesn't disclose the fact that they label half a dozen different Gibson models as ..."Hummingbird" ...just so people will buy them. Unsuspecting new buyers often do not realize the difference till it is too late. The guitar you are looking at looks more like a long scale Songwriter, and in a wood not common to a standard classic Hummingbird guitar, which is normally Mahogany..these make huge differences in tone and feel. Good luck in your hunt!

The only thing that matters is whether you like the playability (which is adjustable), tone and (after everything else) the looks. If so, buy it. If not, keep looking. I own and play several Gibsons. At one point several years ago I was demoing Gibsons and OUT OF ALL THE J45'S AND HUMMINGBIRDS I played a Hummingbird Recording Artist came home with me because it was hands down the best sounding Gibson of the more than a dozen I tried. Don't let any Hummingbird purists tell you this guitar is any less than their, or any other, Hummingbird. If it's a great guitar, it's a great guitar - regardless of what it is called.

There's no "purist" tone being attached to this, and even if there were, so what? We're talking about a legendary guitar. If I want a Hummmingbird, I want a Hummingbird. Not a guitar that is a Hummingbird whatever.....Beyond that, I think the Hummingbird Pro and Hummingbird Artist each deserve their own name. They are excellent instruments and can stand on their own. I've played some sweet ones. jThey have their own sounds, specs, woods.

.... They are not Hummingbirds. They are not less/more than Hummingbirds. They are very nice guitars given the Hummingbird name in order to sell more guitars. Plenty of "bird" names that would fit these guitars, but we're talking about making money and the "Hummingbird" name is attached to an iconic guitar. Smart advertising, but a bit mis-leading for uninformed buyers, especially new players who are eager to get an acoustic like Keith Richards plays, or June Carter Cash played, etc.....Not a thing in the world illegal about it, but let's face it, it can be confusing for someone wanting to purchase what for decades has been called the "Hummingbird.".........And I totally agree that a great guitar is a great guitar, no matter what the model name or brand is, but that doesn't get around the confusion.

There's no "purist" tone being attached to this,

First of all - of course there is. No one said that to you (as you came in later) so there is no reason for you to be disturbed or upset at the word. In English, a purist is someone who wants something left in it's original, or unchanged form. So anyone stating that the "Hummingbird Recording Artist" is not a "real" Hummingbird is exactly a purist. That doesn't make them bad, right, wrong or anything else. Accept the badge and move on.

The OP asked about a guitar and was told that whatever it is, it isn't a Hummingbird. Personally I don't care if it is called "Guitar 0001" or "Recording Artist" or Gibson Artist - or anything else - because I'm a guitarist not a blogger. Mustang purist's will insist that a Mustang II is not a "real mustang". Likewise Ovation purists many times cite that import Ovations aren't "real Ovations". They might be right or wrong - but either way it is ONLY their opinion. Nothing more. I evaluate guitars (a guitarist) based on tone and acoustic qualities - then look at the label. If it says Gibson Hummingbird Recording Artist - and I take it home - I have a Gibson Hummingbird Recording Artist according to Gibson and my insurance agent.

I do not own one but I have and it was great. You'll see I answered the OP instead of addressing anyone. Alternatively, you chose to address me instead of the OP. I couldn't care less but at least understand the definition of purist before getting defensive about an adjective your response identifies you as. [sneaky] There is nothing wrong with being a purist but if the "purists" answer to a post is simply stating their opinion that they don't like Gibson's naming of a particular model - instead of answering the original thesis - then maybe it should be done in another thread.

Now, pick up your guitar and enjoy whatever model it is and stop typing.

Kentucky Steve has a mahogany and a quilt maple. Both say Hummingbird. I say mahogany or maple when I reach for either. That stipulation always comes to mind. Then I put either down and go play my beat to death square shouldered Southern Jumbo because it just sounds best.

Thanks for the responses and the passion! I was not familiar with the Songbird as the Hummingbird nomenclature threw me. I'd think with the woods it would be very different sounding anyway. I'd like to play one, for certain.

Gibson Brands can call the guitar whatever the heck they like. It is their company.

In the end it is all marketing. No doubt the instrument has very little Hummingbird DNA in it. Yet the Hummingbird branding is immediately familiar and is very marketable.

Denver, in no way did I try to offend you and if I did I apologize. This is a discussion in a guitar forum. Not a me vs you or anyone else thing. Not a ritual of manhood. This Hummingbird name topic has been discussed at least 3-4 times in this forum. Sorry if what I said offended. None of it is meant that way. Furthermore, please understand that I NEVER suggested that "the" Hummingbird was better than the Artist or Pro. Perhaps someone else did, but I didn't. What I saw was someone saying they are different guitars, and they are. I just believe that to avoid confusion the Artist and Pro deserve their own names. They are not 2nd class Gibsons as some people have suggested the J15 and J35 are because of their price. They are excellent instruments and I've said exactly that in other discussions in this forum. It's on here,,,,, You know, it's difficult to always understnad exactly what is being said in text. We don't hear the voice, tone, laughs, etc. All we have is words, so I typically try to not read something into a comment that is not actually there. I don't always succeed, but I do try. This is just a discussion among people who like guitars. And I'm not offended by the word "purist." No doubt on some things I am a purist. On other things I'm a democrat and on others a republican. On others I couldn't care less ......Anyway, I'm sincerely sorry if I came across as trying to push your buttons (my words), but I wasn't. I don't take any of this as anymore than people voicing their opinions. Your opinion is as valid and important as mine. And we can definitely agree on enjoying and playing our guitars, but that can apply to most any guitar question/issue. I wish you nothing but the very best in life, especially when it comes to health, family, and guitars.

No worries. Please don't think I was offended - just passionate. I am much thicker skinned than that. And, although I have been around here for years (quietly), I may not yet be able to recognize who is also passionate and who is ... not. Play on my friend, play on.

Thanks again for all the responses!

As I was digging through the specs, the nut width is 1.525" with a "thinner" neck profile. I've not played an acoustic with such a thin neck. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm typically very comfortable with the nut width being around 1.7", give or take, as long it is not a pronounced "V" shaped neck.

Nut width is really important to me. It can make or break a deal. I prefer the wider. My fingers are too thick for the narrow nut. Someone with smaller fingers might find the wider spacing inconvenient for their playing. Like most things, there's not just one size that is perfect/best for everyone. As far as neck shape goes I really don't pay much attention to it so long as the guitar is easy to play. Just find what works best for you...........Good luck.

Archived