Gibson Brands Forums

DAW

the dog

I dabble. I use Reaper/x64 with Win8.1/x64

I've never tried Mixcraft. I used Cakewalk from Pro 8 thru Sonar 8.5.

I use Ez Drummer 2 for drums. A handful of softsynths and I'm considering Ez Mix 2.

For hardware I have an M-Audio Delta66, Zoom R24, THR10, GT-001 and a Samson Graphite 49 keyboard/controller.

Most of my playing is done with this system thru Event PS8 monitors.

Tons of fun. My first single is a way out yet though :)

I use Apple's GarageBand and an Akai EIE Pro 4x4 interface.

GarageBand comes free with a Mac, it's stable and flexible, I can record 4 tracks at once but GarageBand can record up to 16 at once.

I recently learned how to clip, move, adjust and make changes to tracks.

I am working on my EQ, mixing and mastering skills. The software has plenty of flexibility for that too.

This maybe not be a big deal but I was impressed by the fact that MP3 files can be imported so easily and even in the same track.

I struggled for a while with recording programs but once it clicked I made progress right away.

I use Apple's GarageBand ... I was impressed by the fact that MP3 files can be imported so easily and even in the same track.

Same here. It does everything I need it to - though admittedly that's not much. I keep it pretty basic - a few vocal tracks and a couple of guitars mostly. Though I did a collaboration with forumite Shred Astaire once (remember him). He emailed me a track and I wrote lyrics, recorded vocals and sent it back. Pretty cool to be able to work with someone in Canada that easily from down here in Florida. [thumbup]

For a while Guitar Center had free lessons for GarageBand, 4 rotating lessons every Saturday morning. The class can be great or not so much depending on the instructor.

I looked at the GC calendar for free lessons and looks like there was one this past Saturday and looks like they have condensed it to a sigle class instead of 4 but I bet it is the basics leaving out loops and other stuff that you may not even need.

I'm starting to like Mixcraft....It seems easy enough...haven't added any effects yet....I'm using 5 tracks and rendered to a WAV and an mp3....

drums

bass

rhythm guitar

lead guitar

vocal

I've done video editing for about 9 years so I'm looking forward to working with audio.....

My biggest problem recording is drums, don't have a drum set neither know how to play.

I have to mold my riffs to whatever drum loops I have on hand and it is hard to do that...for me.

I tried one of those non-computer based track recorders and I never got past recording single tracks, I would rather learn how to record on tape 70's style. But can't beat a computer these days.

My biggest problem recording is drums, don't have a drum set neither know how to play.

I have to mold my riffs to whatever drum loops I have on hand and it is hard to do that...for me.

I think that's a problem for everyone. Back when I used a tape 4-track, I used a Boss Dr. Rhythm that you could program or play in real time with the buttons. It was a giant pain. I hear drum programming has come a long way. I just haven't the patience to learn it.

I tried one of those non-computer based track recorders and I never got past recording single tracks, I would rather learn how to record on tape 70's style. But can't beat a computer these days.

It's tough with out a drummer...I'm lucky the friend I record with is a drummer,lead guitar player,some piano,and singer.He lets me play bass and rhythm guitar.

He can do everything himself but it's more fun with some one else.

We haven't played out in years/decades...and were having fun recording.

Oh I bought the drummer upgrade for GarageBand for a few bucks you get a bunch of programmable smart drummers and virtual instruments but still, not as interactive as a drummer.

I do have drummer friends but I have no place for a drum set, I may end up buying a decent electronic drum set.

EZ Drummer from toontrack is a great tool for non-drummers. Check it out.

EZ Drummer is Ok. I do prefer Addictive Drums. But they both work nice.

I write the drums on Encore (one staff for each drum part), save it as MIDI and then I import it from Cubase 5 (also use Nuendo 4).

Some may think it's a lotta work to do but works for me.

With version 2, EZ Drummer became a lot more tweakable too. I'm AD and some of the others are way better, but for a bedroom recording guitarist, get a 'pretty darn good' drum track *quickly* is great.

Cool thing about EZD, and I'm sure others as well, is that it can still be used if/when you decide to pound out your own stuff on a MIDI box or pads.

Archived