Gibson Brands Forums

Stones's Monkey Man

MorrisrownSal

Ok, I went harder than I usually go. There is an acoustic in here believe it or not - my LG2AE. It was the first track I laid down so I could keep rhythm well. I recorded this with a cajon, a bass, my tele, my LG2... using garageband and Apogee Mic.

Any comments or criticisms welcome.

I like the song because it kind of shows how real the Stones were. After the idealistic 60s, this song seems to say "hey man... the more things change the more they stay the same... fk it" Or at least it says that to me.

https://soundcloud.com/sal-from-chatham/monkey-man

As a hardcore Stones fan, I love this version of Monkey Man. Sal, you're a much better musician than you give yourself credit. You have a professional's touch and if you could write songs as well as you interpret them (and you didn't have a family counting on you) you could be a performer that people pay good money to hear. As it stands, you could make money as a cover artist at local venues, no problem.

Brilliant. Excellent version. Can I detect a little touch of Neil Young in your vocal style?

More than a little, I'd say. A couple of weeks ago after one of Sal's song postings, I said his voice was a cross between Neil Young and Ray Davies of The Kinks.

I stand by that, although not that many here would know Ray Davies' voice.

Is that true, Nick? I'd like to think Face to Face, Something Else, Village Green, Arthur, Lola Vs. and a solid retrospective...are part of most people's collections.

In the US, licensing finally got straightened out long enough to release the Pye (early) material along with the rest of their catalog. Come November there's a serious box set coming with unreleased tracks from the golden years.

God Save the Kinks!

Is that true, Nick? I'd like to think Face to Face, Something Else, Village Green, Arthur, Lola Vs. and a solid retrospective...are part of most people's collections.

In the US, licensing finally got straightened out long enough to release the Pye (early) material along with the rest of their catalog. Come November there's a serious box set coming with unreleased tracks from the golden years.

God Save the Kinks!

Ahh! Maybe I "mis-underestimated" the catholic musical tastes of my brothers and sisters on the Gibson acoustic forum. Thought it was only the grouchy old farts like me that appreciated the Kinks.

More than a little, I'd say. A couple of weeks ago after one of Sal's song postings, I said his voice was a cross between Neil Young and Ray Davies of The Kinks.

I stand by that, although not that many here would know Ray Davies' voice.

I know!!! And yes, I agree 100% with you!!! Great job Sal! A wonderful cover. As said earlier, that Tele just brings it. Great vibe that just rolls and rolls! Outstanding! [thumbup]

Thanks again everyone... And Nick... I lived on a lot of Kinks, Zep, Who, Beatles, Stones in the 70s.

Apeman should follow Monkey Man!

and for those that may not know Ray Davies, here he is doing one of his best-known songs more than 40 years after it was first recorded.......

Wow, that was really a fun song to hear! Nicely done. I really want to get a grip on GarageBand so my son and I can put some stuff together. He's a drummer and we have a few songs were trying to put down, just having a hard time with the recording patiance!

Archived