Gibson Brands Forums

Combo vs head & speaker cabinet

daveinspain

I'm using an amp head with 2, 1 x 12 cabinets… It takes me longer to set up and break down then everyone else. I am happy with my sound though but I'm thinking a combo amp might be more practical for rehearsals and gigs.

The Blackstar Club HT 40 looks like a good option but similar Vox or Marshall combos might also be a good way to go… Any thoughts, pros cons of the various options?

I'm using an amp head with 2, 1 x 12 cabinets… It takes me longer to set up and break down then everyone else. I am happy with my sound though but I'm thinking a combo amp might be more practical for rehearsals and gigs.

The Blackstar Club HT 40 looks like a good option but similar Vox or Marshall combos might also be a good way to go… Any thoughts, pros cons of the various options?

Either choice is a good choice IMO. You will have to play through and compare to hear a difference.....

Speaker vibrations in combo amps tend to eat up valves/tubes. Ringing microphonics of preamp and power stages call for replacement, often after just a short period of use. Furthermore, valve/tube quality has fallen off sharply compared to the 1960s and 1970s, affecting performance in general and lifespan in particular.

I know for sure that I will never buy any valve/tube combo amp again. Been there, done that, and I'm done with them.

Speaker vibrations in combo amps tend to eat up valves/tubes. Ringing microphonics of preamp and power stages call for replacement, often after just a short period of use. Furthermore, valve/tube quality has fallen off sharply compared to the 1960s and 1970s, affecting performance in general and lifespan in particular.

I know for sure that I will never buy any valve/tube combo amp again. Been there, done that, and I'm done with them.

Hmmm, makes sense...

For me it would be a convienance and time saver thing...

Amp top and cabinet weigh more together, but a combo amp has the higher unit weight to it. This makes them uneasier to handle when comparing same amp chassis and speaker assembly either separately housed or in a combo package.

if its a long distance from the carpark to the stage and staircases are involved the combo might be a winner [biggrin]

I cannot imagine taking longer to set up/break down than the drummer - I must be doing something wrong! (which would explain a lot...)

To me, it would be a non-issue.

Fisrtly, the guitar player has it the easiest. Almost every other player has more stuff to deal with. Besides the drummer, there is the bass player (who usually has to have a bigger amp), I won't carry on. But the point of all this is when you are done loading, don't you often feel obligated to help the others?

The other, unless I was designing or had enough to have stuff custom made, the main consideration is the amp itself. Sure there are trade-offs to one or the other, but the main consideration is how it sounds. There are so many considerations that come into play before I would ask myself if I want a combo or separates.

When "seeking" an amp, I don't do it from a catalog, I play it like I would buying a guitar. You don't know until you play it and experience it. And when I do, I take it as it comes. I suppose if the right one was found, it might be possible to then order one in a different configuration, but why bother? This stage of the process is usually dictated by itself-if it's a combo, you have it, but if it's a head, you have to decide if you want a different cab or the one you played it with, if it's available, etc.

The musician who has the least set up time and gear to carry is the trumpet player...

Amp head and speaker take a minute to plugin but luging amp head speakers and cases together with peddles and stuff all adds up... Drummer un doubtabley has the most stuff to lug and set up but we practice at his place so he only has to set up for gigs... And yes we all help...

The musician who has the least set up time and gear to carry is the trumpet player...

Amp head and speaker take a minute to plugin but luging amp head speakers and cases together with peddles and stuff all adds up... Drummer un doubtabley has the most stuff to lug and set up but we practice at his place so he only has to set up for gigs... And yes we all help...

Yea, horn player. Not fair.

To me, sounds like you go all out when you problably don't have too. I respect the fact you are using your full rig for rehearsals, and if it were me, I wouldn't be.

Another option, what about leaving some stuff there? If you trust the place/poeple, and this is the only place you are using the amp/cab, why load? Of corse, there is the question of which amp for which room, so if you have more than one amp....

The other consideration, of corse, is that regardless if you NEED another amp, you need another amp. You should be shopping for a combo just because. You need at least 2 more in my estimation, so settle for one. Then when you have 2 more, you need to look for the 3rd you need. And of corse, once you have those, you might need the head.cab versions of one or the other...

...So on and so forth.

I'm thinking that getting a combo will not significatnly change your set up time. Plus if you like the sound you're getting, don't mess with it!

Is there a way you could set up your pedalboard/rig where you only have to connect a few cables and plug in one extention power cord? I have my rig set up for optimal quick set up and break down.

Hmmm, I have a 20 watt head, I use as a spare, that I could leave with one cabinet at rehearsal… I just never feel good about leaving my gear anywhere. I totally trust the guys and gals in the band but I don't trust the thieves that want to break in and steel stuff when no one is around… [blink]

Hmmm, I have a 20 watt head, I use as a spare, that I could leave with one cabinet at rehearsal… I just never feel good about leaving my gear anywhere. I totally trust the guys and gals in the band but I don't trust the thieves that want to break in and steel stuff when no one is around… [blink]

Oh, now I got you. Setting up and breaking down all the gear for each rehearsal isn't funny.

What about your bandmates, in particular the drummer - do they all move their whole stuff every time, too?

I have never really heard of this but I suppose it makes sense.

Hasn't been my experience though.. I don't gig for a living but they do get hauled around.

In my last combo I think I changed the tubes twice in over 10 years.

And once was because I wanted to try different ones.

And then there is divorce. All bets are off at that point.

I mean band divorces as well as couples. Poeple have been known to change at the drop of a hat when break-ups come into it.

And then there are outside influences no one counts on, like spouses you never had much contact with. Even the best of poeple can get into a situation where someone they are with suddenly acts contrary to what he/she expects. And you don't always see that coming.

And you do right don't trusting. There are lots of thieves out there waiting for your gear.

I know what i'm talking about, i live in Valencia to.

Nice to see a person in the forum that is not that far away. Saw your video sounds good and its funny to.

Un saludo y igual nos vemos por ahi msp_thumbup.gif

Por donde tocais por cierto?

You know even the pros get their gear stolen. I hate thief's. Anyway, insurance is always a safe option for you.

Having nothing but combos for guitar, I'm cool with it. They're all three different as night and day. The Deluxe and the Gibson Les Paul Jr. amps are light weight and both do the job just fine.

The Fender Two-tone is a little heavy but not too heavy to lug around. It's got the 1X10 and the 1X12 in it.

The only head I have is for my bass. I run a 2X10 cabinet with it.

I guess the first thing I thought of was whether the guitar amp is being played behind / foot level or miked through an amp or???

I'm increasingly of the conclusion that miking or a direct-through to a board is the better way to go. It appears that's done by a lot of groups in small to huge outdoor venues regardless.

That cuts the need for a lotta heavier equipment and gives more control over a mix at the same time.

Just a thought.

m

50 years ago, I didn't even think about "which." We unloaded, pushed (or carried)

6 Vox Super Beatle amps, or Fender Dual Showmans, then Marshall double stacks, etc.

Now, if I can't do it, with either my Blues Jr., or HR Deluxe...it doesn't need to

be done! [tongue][biggrin] Mic'd or not!

CB

I haven't used a separate head and speaker cab since about 1974. Gigged for about 20 years with a Fender Twin Reverb combo and had to change tubes once in that time. Occasionally at a really large venue I would use an additional speaker cab for a slightly bigger sound, but most large gigs like that everything is miked and going through the PA anyway.

For rehearsal in my last band I used a little 5 watt Blackstar and it was loud enough to be heard over drums etc in a small practice room. Depends on if your rehearsals are more to get the songs down (timing, chord changes, vocal harmonies etc) or if they are for honing the sound (tone) of the entire band in which case you want to use the amp you will use at the gigs.

Modern equipment has gotten so much more efficient that I just don't see the need for big cabinets.

Just my two cents. [biggrin]

Archived