Gibson Brands Forums

New Pups

Karloff

[thumbup] Pearly Gates are definitely my favorite Duncan humbuckers. (Though I haven't tried the Antiquities - too rich for my blood). The Pearlies have just enough gain and a bit of midrange hump.

JC, yep. exactly. me too. I'd like to try the Antiquities some day, but like you said, $. I have PG's in my LP Classic and I really like them, so I thought they'd go well with the SG. Perfect blend of Balls & Sweetness ... just the right output/gain

oh, and anyone that wants to rid their SG of any neck dive, move the strap lock up about a 1 1/2" from the original spot dead center. it creates a lower center of gravity / weight. it'll just hang off your shoulder all night long without sliding down at all.

oh, and anyone that wants to rid their SG of any neck dive, move the strap lock up about a 1 1/2" from the original spot dead center. it creates a lower center of gravity / weight. it'll just hang off your shoulder all night long without sliding down at all.

OH MY GOD YOU MADE ANOTHER HOLE IN IT

I wonder why Gibson doesn't put it there to begin with? :-k

Conrats on the Pearlys.

Tone-chasing can be fun - not to say time-consuming!....

...I haven't tried the Antiquities...
...I'd like to try the Antiquities some day...

I have a matched set of them (signed on the bases by SD himself - are they all like that?) but for day-to-day use I must say I still prefer Gibson's own '57 Classics.

IMX the Antiquities sound perfectly PAF-like (or what I believe to be so!) once they are in the sweet-spot but that sweet-spot has quite a narrow, erm, 'band-width' if you like. They also only really come into their own when the amp is being given a good work-out. 'At Home' isn't their comfort-zone.

The '57s are far more useable and more forgiving if you are slightly outside their own comfort zone.

OTOH it could be argued that The Grail is worth the effort and I Should Try Harder every time I pick up the guitar...

OH MY GOD YOU MADE ANOTHER HOLE IN IT

I LOL'd.........literally.

That's the funniest thing I've read here for a while.

You are a very amusing guy, rct.

[laugh]

P.

Hey, how about a pic so we can see the move? I'm having a hard time visualizing where an inch and a half up is.

you can see it in the pic posted above. and when i say "up", would be when you have the guitar on, the rear strap lock / button is higher up, closer to you. looking at it, it is more to the left of the guitar. might me all in my mind, but it seems to make a difference... maybe i'm just crazy lol.

you can see it in the pic posted above. and when i say "up", would be when you have the guitar on, the rear strap lock / button is higher up, closer to you. looking at it, it is more to the left of the guitar. might me all in my mind, but it seems to make a difference... maybe i'm just crazy lol.

Doh! I got it now. I was thinking of the other button! #-o

Guest Farnsbarns

That's actually very clever. You haven't moved the C of G (excepting the minutiae effect of the weight of the button actually moving the C of G up a little (still talking in your orientation terms)) but you've effectively changed the way the entire mass interacts with its mounting (to you). Taking the button off the center line brings more of the body's mass into the lever that counters the neck's mass. Utterly ingenious! =D>

That's actually very clever. You haven't moved the C of G (excepting the minutiae effect of the weight of the button actually moving the C of G up a little (still talking in your orientation terms)) but you've effectively changed the way the entire mass interacts with its mounting (to you). Taking the button off the center line brings more of the body's mass into the lever that counters the neck's mass. Utterly ingenious! eusa_clap.gif

yea, that's what I meant ... what he said.lol. thanks. I have my moments. though they seem to be getting fewer and farther between these days lol. That SG is a pleasure to play. sure do like it.

Also seems to me like it might lessen the way the SG tilts away from me - and a lot easier than a diet to get rid of what causes the SG to tilt away from me. :rolleyes:

lol, yes it does, now it doesnt want to fall forward. that was an unexpected plus that i found.

Archived