Gibson Brands Forums

Handwired ?

dc3c46

"Handwired" Cabinets - what is the difference?

With regards to Marshall and VOX it's not that they are wired in any different manner. It's rather that they match the cosmetics of their hand-wired amp series.

"Complete your VOX Hand-Wired Series guitar rig with the V212HWX Hand-Wired speaker cabinet, providing a stylish cosmetic match to the AC30HWH head ..."

Though Marshall does mention that it is in fact hand-soldered :rolleyes:

"The 60 Watt 2061CX is a hand-soldered, 2 x 12” cabinet designed to be matched with the 2061X handwired head"

A couple thoughts....

My impression of "hand wired" was that rather than using a PCB to make electrical connections, there are actual wires running from Point A to Point B. Is that not the case? In any case, I never put too much stock in the theory that one would sound "better" than the other.

However, it's kinda funny. I was in GC a few weeks ago and wanted to check out an AC15. The young kid there said "do me a favor and try this hand wired one. Hand wired always sounds better". :rolleyes: Well all I know is that thing sounded SWEET. I should have compared it to the "regular" AC15 right next to it for $100 less, but I guess I will never know now if there is a real difference or not. #-o I went back a few days later and the red hand wired one was gone.

Archived