Gibson Brands Forums

Hi there

Wetdog

Okay, so I really like vintage archtop, F-hole Gibsons. Perhaps that is because I myself am vintage. Having played for over 50 years I play a variety of styles, but mostly jazz. I'm a lefty player and finding left handed guitars is not easy. I also have done a lot of instrument repair work and have a decent home shop and hope to build some guitars from scratch.

I recently acquired a 1947 L-7 and have some questions for the forum and I'll get to that later. As far as I know Gibson was not making factory lefties in the 40's but the non-cutaway archtops lend themselves very nicely to conversion to lefty without ruining the integrity of the original guitar. I also own a 1959 330 and a modern Epiphone Joe Pass. So I'll be seeing y'all on the forum.

Welcome.

As you are an archtop guy I am curious as to whether you have messed around with the round soundhole archtops? Reason I ask is I prefer them to the f-hole variety which I have never been able to make peace with them. I recently had a 1930s X braced Gibson L-12 over for a visit. Beautiful istrument which I could have gotten on the cheap. I wanted to like that guitar so much but in the end I passed on it. Folks who know these guitars though tell me it is not the guitar but me - that you need a different touch to play an archtop, that you just can't flail away at them like I do.

I also have a mid-1947 L-7: script logo, A-235 serial number. As you know, with a movable bridge and raised finger rest, it's dead simple to convert a righty L-7 to lefty, and completely reversible when/if the time comes to sell.

While I haven't fully come to terms with playing and archtop, it's still a nice guitar to own. If you have any links to video lessons geared towards acoustic archtops, I would love to get them.

Here's my old L-7, before replacing the out-gassing finger rest:

L-7-1.jpg

I also have a mid-1947 L-7: script logo, A-235 serial number. As you know, with a movable bridge and raised finger rest, it's dead simple to convert a righty L-7 to lefty, and completely reversible when/if the time comes to sell.

While I haven't fully come to terms with playing and archtop, it's still a nice guitar to own. If you have any links to video lessons geared towards acoustic archtops, I would love to get them.

L-7-1.jpg

that's a beauty nick.

what's the round thing on the side of the tree ? :-s

To answer Zombiewoof, no I have not tried a round hole archtop, I presume you mean like the L-1. But I have tried a custom Gypsy guitar which is a type of archtop sort of. They are traditionally made with arch induced by bending the top plate, have oval or large D shaped holes and a LONG scale length. Up to 27". Loud and kind of sparkly but still plenty of bottom.

L-7-1.jpg

Gorgeous.

Archived