Gibson Brands Forums

doubt j-45 true vintage originality

Gianlucagt125

I'm about to buy a j-45 true vintage 2008 used. How can I tell if it is original. the serial has to be necessarily stamp on the neck block or may not even be there? how to recognize what an original? please help me i have to buy it tomorrow:( anyone has any photos or information very seriously as it was done in 2008 that model?

They started making the J45-TVs in 2007. I bought one used off a guy a few years ago, and was myself concerned whether the model I had was in fact a "true vintage". It did not say so on the label on the inside. As it turns out, I called the factory with the serial number, and they confirmed it. Here are things you should look for (and I will include pictures of my old 2007 J45TV to help you):

1)

Look for an orange label on the inside, instead of a white one. Here is my blurry label. It says J45 only. Not J45TV. However the orange label means "true vintage" Anyway, the label in your soundhole will say J45-TV or J45 only. Dont worry if it doesnt say J45-TV; just make sure it is an orange label.

IMG_2983_zps5f43b25b.jpg

2) The headstock should not have the big metal grover tuning machines; it should have tuners that look like these ones. And the headstock will have the "banner logo" (only a Gibson is good enough)

IMG_2984_zps74db9366.jpg

3) It should have a tan case; not black.

IMG_2979_zps25582bae.jpg

In general, I hope your guitar is like mine was; it was an awesome guitar:

IMG_2982_zps988844f4.jpg

[IMG_2991_zps2871306b.jpg

IMG_2990_zps8d2a1489.jpg

IMG_2989_zpsf278722b.jpg

IMG_2987_zps1f9914a3.jpg

IMG_2985_zps4c55e5a2.jpg

Call Bozeman with the serial number as others have said. Mine, which I sold. had the orange label and the words True Vintage were actually part of the black circle that surrounds the inside of the label. The serial number is the only way to go for certainty.

TV-ism can be gray around the edges. ThemiSal is correct in all his observations. On the other hand - an Orange Label is not reserved for TVs only, but I believe all TVs have them. The H'Bird TV does not fit the criteria ThemiSal identified. Additionally, before the official 'TV" designation was created by Marketing - there were models made that were for all intents and purposes - TVs without the tag. I have a 2004 SJ200 that appears to have all the bells and whistles. But, I am not worried - it sounds, feels and plays fantastic, so that is all that matters. G'Luck.

TV-ism can be gray around the edges. ThemiSal is correct in all his observations. On the other hand - an Orange Label is not reserved for TVs only, but I believe all TVs have them. The H'Bird TV does not fit the criteria ThemiSal identified. Additionally, before the official 'TV" designation was created by Marketing - there were models made that were for all intents and purposes - TVs without the tag. I have a 2004 SJ200 that appears to have all the bells and whistles. But, I am not worried - it sounds, feels and plays fantastic, so that is all that matters. G'Luck.

[thumbup] I can relate. I have a 2007 Southern Jumbo TV with the orange label that does not have "TV" printed on it, but everything else, (the pick guard, banner headstock, keystone tuning gears...which I have since replaced with the buttons), etc. matches the specs for the TV.

I bought it used and mine came with the "non-original" black case, but it was represented to me that way by the seller (a GC in Chicago) so I didn't have a problem with that. Most importantly, I love how it sounds!

[thumbup] I can relate. I have a 2007 Southern Jumbo TV with the orange label that does not have "TV" printed on it, but everything else, (the pick guard, keystone tuning gears...which I have since replaced with the buttons), etc. matches the specs for the TV.

I bought it used and mine came with the "non-original" black case, but it was represented to me that way by the seller (a GC in Chicago) so I didn't have a problem with that. Most importantly, I love how it sounds!

Obviously, my 2004 SJ200 came with the standard black case. I wonder if the official declaration of the TV was driven in part by when TKL made the brown cases available?

Look for an orange label on the inside, instead of a white one. Here is my blurry label. It says J45 only. Not J45TV. However the orange label means "true vintage" Anyway, the label in your soundhole will say J45-TV or J45 only. Dont worry if it doesnt say J45-TV; just make sure it is an orange label.

This info might cause some confusion, as the labels for all models were orange up to some point in the 2000s. I've owned six standard Gibson models from the early 2000s (including the two I still have) and played many more, which all had orange labels.

This info might cause some confusion, as the labels for all models were orange up to some point in the 2000s. I've owned six standard Gibson models from the early 2000s (including the two I still have) and played many more, which all had orange labels.

My '03 OJ has an orange label. And a black case. This is Gibson we're talking about the only thing that is consistent is their inconsistency. If it has all of the features listed above - orange label, butter bean tuners, banner, (big neck?).... I think you can be sure it's not a standard. It's a historic. Or a Legend. Or a True Vintage. Or a....call Montana with the serial number if you need to know. Or if it's just a great guitar, clearly not a Standard and worth, in your estimation, the asking price, buy it and sort it all out later.

P

I thought (maybe incorrectly) that orange labels were for guitars that came from the factory without a pickup installed. In other words acoustic only guitars had orange labels and acoustic electrics had white labels. Maybe I dreamed that or something????

I thought (maybe incorrectly) that orange labels were for guitars that came from the factory without a pickup installed. In other words acoustic only guitars had orange labels and acoustic electrics had white labels. Maybe I dreamed that or something????

you've dreamt that :)

mine has orange label and a pickup

I defer to you bobouz...

I think what I gave him should help him ascertain that his target guitar is the real mccoy. I am sorry if it caused confusion for others about what they have.

No problem Sal, just wanted to add a clarifying note.

I also was recalling that on these older orange labels, the modern Gibson logo is surrounded by the same round decorative piece that appeared on cases as well, which says Tone-Feel-Appearance. Pulled out the 2000 J100-Xtra to confirm, and indeed that's what is on the orange label.

I don't know for sure when this particular label first came to be used, but it quite likely was 1999, a year in which the acoustic catalog prominently displays the same Tone-Feel-Appearance logo, along with a significantly revamped model lineup.

No problem Sal, just wanted to add a clarifying note.

I also was recalling that on these older orange labels, the modern Gibson logo is surrounded by the same round decorative piece that appeared on cases as well, which says Tone-Feel-Appearance. Pulled out the 2000 J100-Xtra to confirm, and indeed that's what is on the orange label.

I don't know for sure when this particular label first came to be used, but it quite likely was 1999, a year in which the acoustic catalog prominently displays the same Tone-Feel-Appearance logo, along with a significantly revamped model lineup.

And, of course, the modern orange label is simply an update of the pre-1970 higher-end Gibson label, which was itself an orange version of the earlier white oval label. I'm not sure when the original orange label started. I have a 1947 guitar with the white oval label, and a late 1960's guitar with the orange oval label ("union made" version), as well as modern guitars with the current orange label (from both the Nashville and Bozeman shops). None, fortunately, with the purple/white "harlequin" Kalamazoo label, which I associate with the dark years.

Archived