Gibson Brands Forums

Travel guitar recomendations

DennisB643

I have the Martin and I find it odd to play. The neck is just about a normal size and entirely too heavy for the tiny body. It almost requires a strap to be used to have any comfort. If you are trying to play sitting down, good luck...

The sound is acceptable, but not great. You can't really expect a dreadnaught sound from a tiny travel guitar but it still sounds weak. I have played the Baby Taylor more than once and I find that to be a better trade off as far as travel guitars go. The size is definitely bigger than the Martin, but the playability, balance, and sound of the instrument are leaps ahead. I have also heard of a Washburn travel guitar that reviews well but I have never played/seen one.

I have been considering a travel guitar and have been considering either the Martin or Taylor. Should I consider the EL 00 Pro?

You should definitely consider the EL-OO Pro. You should also consider the Recording King Dirty 30's RPH-05 Single O. Both are great. I have the Dirty 30's and love it so much I'm getting one of the Dreadnoughts, too.

9689022.jpg

That picture is very much what mine looks like (only differences being my bridge is a bit darker and the burst has the proper yellow/orange middle). It's a very beautiful guitar that looks very, VERY old from day one and sounds wonderful.

IMO the Martin Backpacker is the one...a truly innovative design... [thumbup]

But how about a Yamaha Silent Guitar?...particularly if for solo practice...

Or with a small battery amp

Packs away small...and again, a bold innovative design... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

hi. You haven't given a price range but if you are considering a Martin or Taylor...and have the extra money...A 100% RainSong Carbon Graphite guitar is the ticket but they are not cheap. I own one of these and they are incredible. They are 100% impervious to both heat and humidity fluctuations. Totally unaffected by both. Play it in Alaska at 20 below 0...or at the Equator at 125 degrees. They stay in tune, are water proof essentially except for the strings, and they never require adjustments for life once they are properly set up, and they are extremely light weight. A perfect beach guitar, or a porch guitar at 40 degrees on cool nights. Best of all...the sound is not compromised..they sound like a $2000 premium guitar....the catch is that they ARE $2000 and up. Deep base, delicious mids, rich sweet crystalline trebles. Browse them on the link I have provided here. Oh and one more thing...they LOOK KILLER...jet black carbon graphite, every eye will see it...every guitarist will ask you to play it! They are the best travel guitar because short of dropping them down the stairs..they can be played anywhere..any time..any temperature...and any humidity range with zero negative effects...here is the link to RainSong Guitars. http://www.rainsong.com/

I just checked out some footage of the silent guitar. While it is interesting, it left me thinking the following:

Some things just shouldn't be done.

Haha. That was kind of my take on it when I first checked it out.

I guess I don't think of any of them necessarily as a "travel guitar." The baby Martin and Taylor are small parlor instruments; the EL00 pro is a bit bigger. Put any of 'em in a hard case and they weigh like ... a guitar.

The oddly-shaped Martin and a dozen or so odd-body or bodyless guitars of various prices can be good for practice. Some of the "guitar shaped outline with a neck" deals may be better for practice if they are a relative fit for what one plays regularly. That's to keep overall playing geometry consistent, which should aid practice more than something like the odd-body Martin.

All of that said, I guess my bottom line is a matter of figuring what time of use is projected. If it's pickin' on the seashore, I'd personally tend toward the Baby Martin AE or the Epi EL. The Martin is smaller with the short scale and comes with a fiberboard top that should handle being splashed with something better than the solid top. The Epi's plywood body and solid top are fine, but it's a bit bigger.

If it's just practice and hauling on an airline in a suitcase, I think I'd get one of those "guitar outline" jobbies.

Right now if I've gotta toss something in the back of the Jeep, it's likely to be the PR5e; second choice the EL00 Pro.

m

Thanks for the recommendations. I stopped by GC after work (something I never do) to play a few of the recommendations. Because of the O's playoff game tonight the place was dead so I had the run of the acoustic guitar department, so I took full advantage. Here's my observations...

Martin travel guitars (LX1E, LX1), - sound like toys, pass...

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany- the best of the travel guitars... if you wanna drop $499 on a 3/4 size instrument. Incredible sound though, I almost bought it.

EL00-Pro- The first thing I encountered when I walked into the acoustic department, right there, smack dab in the middle of the floor in a stand. I got excited because I have been wanting to play one for a while. I know it has a lot of fans here in the forum but I was decidedly underwhelmed (perhaps my expectations were too high). Perhaps it sounds better plugged in??? Worth $300 for sure, I just expected more (Masterbilts have me spoiled???) Fit and finish were very nice but the sound let me down.

The rest

Gibson J-45, J-45 True Vintage- I'll put my AJ-500 up against either of them all night long.

Taylor 656ce Maple- one of the nicest guitars I played. Right after tonight's winner...

Martin D-35- I played a D-28 and an HD-28 and a D-18 Authentic ($5400). No denying their pedigree but the D-35 was awesome and played very easily and sounded fantastic

Epiphone inspired by 1964 Texan- a new set of strings again might have helped tremendously. I thought I would like it better than I did (again my apologies to it's fans out there).

Conclusion

I'll stick with my DR500 as my go to instrument although the Taylor Maple was very very nice. Travel guitar is on hold for right now.

I think the thing with the EL is that it depends a lot on how you play the thing.

One of my guitar students back in the early '70s had a similar-sized Gibson. Compared to a larger body instrument played like a larger body instrument, yup, disappointing.

I think that's 80 percent of it. "We" have this tendency to want/like bigger body instrument because we've kinda been accustomed to how to play 'em. Getting the most out of a small body instrument is another deal.

I did a review once on the "cheapie beginner Epi PR4e" and noted that a lotta folks would figure the little plywood thing sounds like a cigar box guitar - especially with 9-42s. But it worked fine for several kiddie concerts I did, either electrified or not. And if it were smashed... no big deal.

I did sorta leon Redbone type material; the boxiness wasn't a problem for that sorta thing. But anyone expecting it strummed to sound like an AJ or D-Martin would be full of prune juice or the effects thereof.

m

If it's purely a travel guitar, to take on a jet plane and not have guitar withdrawal while on a trip, but it's not at all convenient to bring a guitar...my solution is to bring a uke instead. Fits well in my checked luggage suitcase (although I suppose it could also be carried on.) It satisfies having a playable instrument with to practice on and dang it's fun and challenging to play (and interesting to adapt my playing to 4 strings). If it's convenient to bring a guitar (as in no airline flight, but a car trip), a decent playing guitar comes along. Which one? Any from the collection. No such thing as a beach guitar or a travel guitar to me. I bring any one of them and of course take care of it, as they are meant to be to be played. Travel guitar, that's what ukes are to me. Many good ones are inexpensive although a mid priced one is really pretty darn good. I have an Ohana long neck soprano uke. Also a 6 string Yamaha Guitele (which is a uke only with 6 strings). Will probably add a regular tenor uke at some point.

Works for me.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

I think the thing with the EL is that it depends a lot on how you play the thing.

One of my guitar students back in the early '70s had a similar-sized Gibson. Compared to a larger body instrument played like a larger body instrument, yup, disappointing.

I think that's 80 percent of it. "We" have this tendency to want/like bigger body instrument because we've kinda been accustomed to how to play 'em. Getting the most out of a small body instrument is another deal.

I did a review once on the "cheapie beginner Epi PR4e" and noted that a lotta folks would figure the little plywood thing sounds like a cigar box guitar - especially with 9-42s. But it worked fine for several kiddie concerts I did, either electrified or not. And if it were smashed... no big deal.

I did sorta leon Redbone type material; the boxiness wasn't a problem for that sorta thing. But anyone expecting it strummed to sound like an AJ or D-Martin would be full of prune juice or the effects thereof.

m

Your point is well taken. Perhaps it was old strings or maybe that one was a dud? I did take playin style into consideration and since I'm a 99% fingerpicker I thought I would love the EL.

You didn't try the Recording King? They usually have the Dirty 30's RPH-05 in stock at just about every GC.

I didn't try it this time, although they did have it in stock. I tried many more guitars than I wrote about...I just ran out of time...

Archived