Gibson Brands Forums

'97 Les Paul 1960 Classic

tyler_s

Hey everyone, this is my first post and I have a question that I was hoping some of the more knowledgeable members could help me out with. I was doing a bit of research about my 1960 classic and was wondering why mine has covered pickups while it stays that the classic is supposed to come with uncovered. I'll include some pictures with as much identifying info as possible.

2014-09-30%2021.07.05_zpsfv7vkluj.jpg

2014-09-30%2021.07.26_zpsctx8urn3.jpg

2014-09-30%2021.35.16_zpslriobvbc.jpg

2014-09-30%2023.02.05_zps2zr7c4xl.jpg

Hello and welcome.. that's a great choice of guitar you have there [thumbup] (but then I am a but bias on that as I own one)

And yes.. that model guitar comes with super hot stock pickups which does not seem to be to most peoples taste.. I personally love them and kept them in my Classic. So yes someone probably swapped them out which is not uncommon. (or as Pippy said just added the covers cos they prefer the look).

Is there anything written on the back of the pickups?

Nothing to add about the pickup covers as the previous posts covered that, but it is interesting that a lot of people find the stock pickups on these too hot.

I (like Rabs)have kept the stock pickups in my 2003 1960 Classic and love them, but then I've never been into swapping out pickups and all my guitars have stock pickups, even the couple of Chinese made ones I have. I think it makes them more individual and besides, if you have a good tube amp then most guitars sound pretty good through them.

The Classic 1960 is a fine guitar and that's a nice one you have there [thumbup]

As well I believe the pickups simply have Gibson printed on the back of them. I'll peel them off after work and take a look to confirm!

Yes that is usually the case... That it just has Gibson...

But if this was sold as brand new, unused from a big shop.. I would certainly question it.. It should be uncovered as stock...

I mean if it sounds great and you don't mind then its not a huge deal.. But it would be nice to find out why (and maybe if its been modded you should get it a bit cheaper?)

Well, my 2000 LP "Classic" came with nickel covered Ceramics, stock!

At least, that's the way it was sold to me, new! So...??? [confused]:rolleyes:

CB

You may well be right there.. I assumed that they all came uncovered cos all the ones I have seen (non modded) have been...

So it was an assumption.. there may well have (and probably are) models I haven't seen... :)

Pippy? ;)

You may well be right there.. I assumed that they all came uncovered cos all the ones I have seen (non modded) have been...

So it was an assumption.. there may well have (and probably are) models I haven't seen... :)

Pippy? ;)

Yeah, I don't think the dealer added the covers. But, I never "warmed up" to those pickups,

and later changed them, to '57 Classic's. With a Classic Plus, at the bridge! That simple

change, brought back the sound "I" remembered, and prefer, from my experiences with 50's

and '60's Les Paul's. Never questioned my decision, since. [thumbup]

CB

I had one of those 1960 Classics as well in that Cherry sunburst and the pickups were hot and uncovered. But I liked those pickups as they cut through the mix in a pretty loud band I was playing in. The dealer had three of them and I played them all and settled on the cherry burst. The pickups did give a different flavor to the LP sound I had on previous LP, but only slightly and it was the one that spoke to me when I bought it.

As to why this one would be sold new (and CBs as well) with nickel covers - hey, Gibson does a lot of inconsistent things so it doesn't surprise me that some went out with covers while most did not.

I never had a problem with the pickups being to hot I have more of a problem with the dreadful tone of ceramic magnets compared to AlNiCo 2 3 or 5 so I change the magnets. I also always find ones that say "Les Paul Model" instead of Classic. They are out there you can find them. I always disliked the water slide decal changed. The Les Paul Classic WAS my favorite model up till 2014. Hopefully they return it to classic specs. I liked it until they changed from Kluson style tuners to deluxe vintage and used the ABR-1 on it. The change over to universal drilled pegheads using GIbson Deluxe tuners and a Nashville bridge was a disappointing move in the early 2000's. That was the last of the true vintage spec production models to come out of the factory.

Even though I love my Classic, I know what you mean about the headstock decal. It always annoyed me that is reads 'Les Paul Classic', instead of 'Model'. Mine has an ABR-1 on it from the factory and Gibson Deluxe tuners - I never knew about the change over regarding the tuners. I bought mine new when I was 19 having always loved the look of the 90's Classic 1960. I used to have a 90's Gibson Les Paul range poster on my wall as a teenager with the Plus and Premium Plus models displayed and they looked the nicest and most accurate to the originals so that is why I got mine!

I do think the early 90's models where better than the later ones for sure. After they stopped making them for a while around 2008, I believe the limited ones they produced a few years later had baked maple fingerboards. I also dislike the new ones with the boost switch and tuner, as this is anything but classic!! Like you I hope they return to original specs on these models.

Archived