Gibson Brands Forums

new 3 point bridge for 2015 models

rd_artist

Has anyone seen the new 3 point bridges for the 2015 models? it appears to be a more substantial bridge, I wonder if we will be able to retrofit it on our existing instruments.

I've seen the pics of the 2015 bridge. It looks good. I'm guessing, but I think it would retrofit to the earlier 3-point setups. [thumbup]

BASG15HCCH1_MAIN_HERO_01_zpsdaf3239e.jpg

this should show you what I am talking about

Those are the new Babicz full contact 3 point versions and are direct drop-ins.

http://www.fullcontacthardware.com/fch-3-point-four-string-bass-bridge-gibson-style.htm

They look real sharp. I have a couple of Babicz bridges on J basses and I like them a lot. Very well made and easy to use. I might've gone for one of these vs the Hipshot Supertone I got for my JC Sig.

Those are the new Babicz full contact 3 point versions and are direct drop-ins.

http://www.fullconta...ibson-style.htm

They look real sharp. I have a couple of Babicz bridges on J basses and I like them a lot. Very well made and easy to use. I might've gone for one of these vs the Hipshot Supertone I got for my JC Sig.

Nice to have another 3-point option.msp_thumbup.gif

Nice to have another 3-point option.msp_thumbup.gif

Just wanted to mention that one very cool feature of the Hipshot is adjustment for string spacing. It was good to have with the Epi Casady I mounted the Supertone on - a small tweak went a long way to making it really work out well.

The Babicz doesn't offer that.

• 3 months later...

I've been lusting after one of these bridges since RD first posted them. I really want to put one on the EB3L Swamp Rat and get rid of that old 3-point. The Babicz site said they'd be available in mid-January. Well it's definitely mid-January, but they're still not for sale yet eusa_wall.gif I emailed their distributor; hopefully they'll be able to give me a date. I can't imagine why Babicz wouldn't want to make these available asap msp_confused.gif. I guess I'm getting impatient in my old age...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I checked the Babicz page today, and they're ready to ship! I hope my beautiful wife is as happy about that as I am! eusa_listen.gif

Well..... She's Not!

I can't really blame her, because we made a deal about equipment 35 years ago - I can buy anything I want - as long as music pays for it. Both of the bands I'm in have been on hiatus since December and I haven't made any money playing lately. I have jobs starting the end of this month and I'm selling some equipment on ebay, so I'll have to wait a few days.msp_unsure.gif

The Babicz on my 2015 SG Std.

5sNV6jN.jpg

Good close-up of the Babicz. It looks like the bridge on the SG has the bottom shim installed; that gives me hope that the bridge will be low enough for the EB3L without the shim. I have the old 3-point bottomed out, and it could still be a tad lower for my tastes. The Hipshot Supertone works great on my '05 SG, but it's too tall for the EB3L. The Babicz should work; if it doesn't, I'll have to have it milled down a bit.

I ordered one on Monday, but have not received any confirmation from them as far as payment received or shipping/tracking goes msp_confused.gif. I sent them an email this morning, and hope they respond soon. I can't wait to get this thing!

I ordered one on Monday, but have not received any confirmation from them as far as payment received or shipping/tracking goes msp_confused.gif. I sent them an email this morning, and hope they respond soon. I can't wait to get this thing!

Sent another email yesterday, and still no reply. I tried calling, but their recorded message says they don't return calls as quickly as they respond to emailsmsp_scared.gif.

I'm getting a little impatient here. Maybe their internet connection is frozen...eusa_wall.gif

I finally got an apologetic email from Babicz... They had a water pipe freeze and break last week, and are playing catch-up. The extremely low temps here in the rust-belt have put a damper on many businesses - mine included, so I understand. The bridge will be shipped Monday, I should have it for next weekend msp_biggrin.gif.

I finally got an apologetic email from Babicz... They had a water pipe freeze and break last week, and are playing catch-up. The extremely low temps here in the rust-belt have put a damper on many businesses - mine included, so I understand. The bridge will be shipped Monday, I should have it for next weekend msp_biggrin.gif.

That's good news for you, not too good for Babicz. I think you're going to like the bridge. [thumbup]

I finally got it! No instructions, but it was easy to set up, and was just what I needed for the EB3L. Plenty of height adjustment, or in my case - lowth adjustmentmsp_cool.gif. I was surprised to see that it was "Made in Taiwan" , but the quality seems to be excellent. The cams and the saddles have locking screws, so once it's set up, nothing will ever move. Overall - a great design. I do have to get some different mounting bolts; the inserts for the old 3-point are a different thread. The bolts from the 3-point work just fine, but stick up due to the adjustment slot.

Every bridge manufacturer promises "better tone" and "more sustain", and I have noticed slight improvements with the Hipshots I've used (over Gibson 3-points, and Fender "bent-metal" bridges), but this Babics really delivers msp_thumbup.gif. Without even putting it through an amp, the bass is noticeably brighter and has much more sustain; plugged in - Wow! Huge improvement to an already great sounding bass. I'm very happy with this bridge msp_biggrin.gif.

I finally got it! No instructions, but it was easy to set up, and was just what I needed for the EB3L. Plenty of height adjustment, or in my case - lowth adjustmentmsp_cool.gif. I was surprised to see that it was "Made in Taiwan" , but the quality seems to be excellent. The cams and the saddles have locking screws, so once it's set up, nothing will ever move. Overall - a great design. I do have to get some different mounting bolts; the inserts for the old 3-point are a different thread. The bolts from the 3-point work just fine, but stick up due to the adjustment slot.

Every bridge manufacturer promises "better tone" and "more sustain", and I have noticed slight improvements with the Hipshots I've used (over Gibson 3-points, and Fender "bent-metal" bridges), but this Babics really delivers msp_thumbup.gif. Without even putting it through an amp, the bass is noticeably brighter and has much more sustain; plugged in - Wow! Huge improvement to an already great sounding bass. I'm very happy with this bridge msp_biggrin.gif.

Yeah Sure. JUST KIDDING! I like the Babicz Bridge on my Gibsons. I'm really glad you finally got it, and like it. When I saw Gibson was going to use it on the 2015 SG Std., and Thunderbird, I waited to acquire them until then.

I Sill am amazed at the difference this bridge made in the tone & sustain. Anyone with the old 3-point needs to get a Babics. The bridge inserts that were installed when someone changed it from a 2 to a 3-point are 5/16" - 24 unc, the chrome bolts supplied with the bridge are 5/16"-18 unc; so off to the hardware store... On this old beast it probably doesn't matter, but I'll have to live with the black heads until I can find some SS bolts.dry.gif

IMG_0317.jpg

I Sill am amazed at the difference this bridge made in the tone & sustain. Anyone with the old 3-point needs to get a Babics. The bridge inserts that were installed when someone changed it from a 2 to a 3-point are 5/16" - 24 unc, the chrome bolts supplied with the bridge are 5/16"-18 unc; so off to the hardware store... On this old beast it probably doesn't matter, but I'll have to live with the black heads until I can find some SS bolts.dry.gif

IMG_0317.jpg

Looking good. That fits well on the EB3. Is your EB3 now an EB3L? The bridge looks somewhat lower. I like the SG STD. with it too. It does seem to hold the tones a bit better, and more clear.

Archived