Gibson Brands Forums

Think i blew my amp out..

Gibson Artist

So, ive been rocking that Orville this week. The pups are so hot and fantastic, then i did not play for a couple of days and had the urge to play a little stratocaster action. So, i asked my daughter if i could borrow her Squier to play. When i plugged it in my speaker kept fading in and out. I thought for some reason the guitar was malfunctioning so i switched to the Orville and that too was fading in and out.

My girlfriend keeps suggesting it was the orville that blew out my little 2 watt microcube but the irony is i never had the master volume above 4?? Could this mean there is some electronic problem with the guitar? It is a 24 year old les paul so any number of problems could have arised or do you believe it is just the amp dying or the speaker dying because it is 10 years old? Should i ask a guitar tech to check the electronics/pups on the les paul along with buying a new amp? To me, it doesnt seem worth it to fix an amp that's only 120 new.

On a tight budget but considering an Orange CR20LDX amp as a replacement until i someday get either a blues jr or handwired marsh. But, any thoughts about the fading on the amps is greatly appreciated.

I've noticed the same issue with my Fender SS amp this week - volume keeps dropping off significantly. I suspect the volume control itself as tapping or slightly shifting the knob seems to bring back the volume level - other suspect is the cheapo lead I'm using for home practice...

Hoping its not an issue needing repairs as amp is not worth much but I do like it and use it a lot (including shows).

Any suggestions for fault identifying and/or easy fixes/maintenance are appreciated.

As was mentioned, if it happened with both guitars, it's the amp. I'm not too familiar with that amp, but i understand it is relatively inexpensive and any sort of work done on it will equal about what it is worth.

Sounds like it is time for a new amp. If I were you i'd save up for the amp you actually want and either deal with your amp sort of working for a while, or try to find a cheap used practice amp for under 50 bucks to use until you can get the blues jr. or what have you.

I had an old Crate 15 watt SS practice amp that would 'fade out' and make awful noises after about 20-30 minutes of playing especially if it was a warm day. I just dealt with the amp until i had the money and found a suitable replacement.

As was mentioned, if it happened with both guitars, it's the amp. I'm not too familiar with that amp, but i understand it is relatively inexpensive and any sort of work done on it will equal about what it is worth.

Sounds like it is time for a new amp. If I were you i'd save up for the amp you actually want and either deal with your amp sort of working for a while, or try to find a cheap used practice amp for under 50 bucks to use until you can get the blues jr. or what have you.

I had an old Crate 15 watt SS practice amp that would 'fade out' and make awful noises after about 20-30 minutes of playing especially if it was a warm day. I just dealt with the amp until i had the money and found a suitable replacement.

The one i want the most is a Marsh Trem king, custom made and handwired with all top quality parts like mercury magnetics. Its like 900 bucks, not cheap but the tone is amazing, especially on clean sounds. There are some nice midrange Fenders i like too but ill probably just get a cheap practice amp instead At least for now anyways, after christmas ill have more cash to spend.

Good point, i just assumed he would have tried another cable, but a bad cable could explain a drop in volume.

Well, my 2 watt microcube has served me well for a decade but i upgraded to an Orange 20 watt amp. Got it cheap for only 143 it was time for an upgrade and didnt cost me much. I dont gig so really no need for a giant 100 watt amp anyways.

I hope it is just a faulty cord, that way i can sell the cube for the 60 i paid for it originally. Either way, it was time for an upgrade and ive given that amp a few listens on youtube and sounded good. Will be in Tuesday.

Archived