Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting new post from Gibson

Rabs

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now THAT is the correct link to the correct dealer! [wink]

THose are just the high-end models. Many of the new 2015 models are very affordable. Been thinking of a Les Paul Special Double cut.... but not sure now. I already have a great P-90 guitar (see avatar to the left).

...Thank God I already own the Gibson guitars I have. Looks like they've just priced most working class folks out of owning a Gibson....

My thoughts exactly.

There are no fewer than seven things which would stop me from buying a 2015 Standard and that isn't even including the ridiculous price. SEVEN!

I've no idea what Gibson is aiming at here but if this is an indication of their future direction then 2013 will be the cut-off date for me anytime I go out on the hunt.

Unbelievably stupid features.

A couple I could forgive and, probably, eventually overlook but some others?......

2015 might just be the least successful year for sales since Henry took over.

I don't want to wish Gibson ill-will but I do wish they'd stop ruining the Les Paul Standard.

Unbelievable.

P.

EDIT : I know no-one ought to have to pay full-price but out of interest - the MSRP for the L.P. Standard Premium in the UK equates to $8,843.07.

A ba'-hair off $9k for a LP Standard!

The actual price asked for even the basic Standard here is a mere $11.05 short of $4,000. Is that crazy?

My thoughts exactly.

There are no fewer than seven things which would stop me from buying a 2015 Standard and that isn't even including the ridiculous price. SEVEN!

I've no idea what Gibson is aiming at here but if this is an indication of their future direction then 2013 will be the cut-off date for me anytime I go out on the hunt.

Unbelievably stupid features.

A couple I could forgive and, probably, eventually overlook but some others?......

2015 might just be the least successful year for sales since Henry took over.

I don't want to wish Gibson ill-will but I do wish they'd stop ruining the Les Paul Standard.

Unbelievable.

P.

EDIT : I know no-one ought to have to pay full-price but out of interest - the MSRP for the L.P. Standard Premium in the UK equates to $8,843.07.

A ba'-hair off $9k for a LP Standard!

The actual price asked for even the basic Standard here is a mere $11.05 short of $4,000. Is that crazy?

So Pippy, what are the seven things? I'm actually rather glad that I don't need any new guitars.

Ian

So Pippy, what are the seven things?...

The biggest is the G-Force system. As an option? Yes. As a compulsory fitment? No.

Apart from that in no particular order;

Asymmetric neck profile; Compound radius 'board; Fret-over-binding; Wider neck/'board; Fancy wiring set-up.

Oh, and that silly Toy-Town peghead silkscreen.

There are a few more 'improvements' I'd like to see for myself before I comment on them and there are also certain smaller cosmetic touches which I utterly detest.

So I sorely doubt I'm a part of their 'Target Audience Demographic' this year...

P.

The biggest is the G-Force system. As an option? Yes. As a compulsory fitment? No.

That electronic tuning system nonsense would totally rule it out for me. Throw in no nibs as well and it finishes Gibson off for me in terms of ever buying a new one except exact copy reissues.

Apart from that in no particular order;

Asymmetric neck profile; Compound radius 'board; Fret-over-binding; Wider neck/'board; Fancy wiring set-up.

Oh, and that silly Toy-Town peghead silkscreen.

There are a few more 'improvements' I'd like to see for myself before I comment on them and there are also certain smaller cosmetic touches which I utterly detest.

So I sorely doubt I'm a part of their 'Target Audience Demographic' this year...

P.

Amen. Amen and Amen [cursing]

Loaf of store bought stale chemical bread was $1.89 this morn at Kroger. What happened to the 2/.39 era ? Must have missed a decade or four ...... [sad]

Imitataion fish frozen log sandwich and a coke (Pepsi only now days) at Friches ..$10.00

Just gald I have all the guitars I need and hope to avoid GAS.

It all blows me away anymore.

Now THAT is the correct link to the correct dealer! [wink]

THose are just the high-end models. Many of the new 2015 models are very affordable. Been thinking of a Les Paul Special Double cut.... but not sure now. I already have a great P-90 guitar (see avatar to the left).

Yes same here.. I will obviously want to try one first and check these new changes out but if I like it (and I can ever afford it) I REALLY want one of those dark burst doubecuts.. hmmmmmmmmm double cuuuuttttt ;) If I do like it, I will get over the headstock logo (I think :blink: )

61tJKjTIkJL__SL1500__zps7fc4868b.jpg

3759, taken back to 1975 and in our dollars then, would have bought two brand new Les Pauls in cases out the door, a full tank of gas, dinner at Deptford Diner, a six of Michelob ponies, a carton of Newports, and a small bag of groceries for the next few days.

I'm not kidding.

rct

I think this is a sign of the times we live in. And I don't think we should jump the gun in saying it as ALL choice on Gibson's part.

I would like to know more, though.

For one, if Gibson was to follow the example of every other manufacturer in the USA, what they would be is Epiphones that say Gibson on them. Gibson, by definition and customer demand, is MADE IN USA.

As far as that goes, I would encourage poeple to look deep, look around, and even check tour pay stubs and such.

Another thing I point out, is it isn't accurate to just say, "in yesterdays money, it would have cost..." What is the real number, is "In past times, the cost to manufacture in the USA was this..." I think the REAL ratio at work here is what is the cost of building here compared to importing. In other words, how much MORE does it cost to build here compared to importing a few years ago. 10 years ago. I suggest this ratio make have gone through the roof.

Another question: How many companies still build here? What are the price increases for them? Do we even notice?

And here is the big one: It is one thing to notice and accept that most things are made overseas, and to accept that it is for more profit. But do we actually ask how much that profit is? And if so, WHY?

Another thing I point out, is it isn't accurate to just say, "in yesterdays money, it would have cost..." What is the real number, is "In past times, the cost to manufacture in the USA was this..." I think the REAL ratio at work here is what is the cost of building here compared to importing. In other words, how much MORE does it cost to build here compared to importing a few years ago. 10 years ago. I suggest this ratio make have gone through the roof.

There is no comparison on that level, because there was no imported Gibson in 1975, to use my example.

And our economy is driven by the consumer. Sure, you can question the costs of making something, that is the smaller part of the Economics equation. It's the buying power of the dollar in the hands of the final user that matters, because that buying power can be used across the spectrum of suppliers, labor, taxes and fees, etc. that it takes to make the thing the consumer is buying.

It is accurate to say "in yesterdays money it would have cost...", because yesterdays money takes into account what it cost to make it in yesterdays money, that's why it cost what it cost then. And that's why the underlying maff it takes to arrive at constant dollars and figure out what things cost when Ford was stumbling around the White House* give you such a headache. Me such a headache. Somebody.

rct

*NOT a political sentence, a Chevy Chase sentence.

There is no comparison on that level, because there was no imported Gibson in 1975, to use my example.

And our economy is driven by the consumer. Sure, you can question the costs of making something, that is the smaller part of the Economics equation. It's the buying power of the dollar in the hands of the final user that matters, because that buying power can be used across the spectrum of suppliers, labor, taxes and fees, etc. that it takes to make the thing the consumer is buying.

It is accurate to say "in yesterdays money it would have cost...", because yesterdays money takes into account what it cost to make it in yesterdays money, that's why it cost what it cost then. And that's why the underlying maff it takes to arrive at constant dollars and figure out what things cost when Ford was stumbling around the White House* give you such a headache. Me such a headache. Somebody.

rct

*NOT a political sentence, a Chevy Chase sentence.

I think you are correect in what you are saying, but it isn't the question.

But then again, you answer the question when you refer to what a headache it is to answer such questions as I have posed.

Sure, there is the supply and demand thing at play. But I am trying to make the point that what we have been "demanding" is imported goods.

The question of what it cost to make here as opposed to the past, I DO mean to suggest that, adjusted to dollars, the cost is MUCH higher than it was. And, I purposely suggest, that if in 1975 Gibson had the same "cost" in taxes, regulations, etc. as they do now (and I mean any other American company), what you would have paid then would have been much more.

Now, I ASK these questions why? I realise this may be partly political. But rather then a D vs R thing, I mean to point out that this "increased cost" of making in the USA has flown below the radar as a result of the normality of imports.

Thus, the demand for lower prices for American made goods that would have occured in the past is not likely to be adressed unless something like this occurs.

Archived