Gibson Brands Forums

1990 SG Identification

So, I snagged this beauty a few weeks back, but am having a hard time figuring out what it it. I've been told it is an SG Standard and I've been told it is a '62 Re-issue. So, I'm just trying to figure out what I have AND trying to figure out what the pickups are. With it being a 1990, Shaws were out and Circuit board BL's were out. So, are these maybe an early '57 Classics? Inquiring minds want to know, lol.

DSCN0616.jpg

DSCN0617.jpg

DSCN0605.jpg

DSCN0607.jpg

DSCN0633.jpg

DSCN0630.jpg - 93510459

Any help would be MOST appreciated. Thanks!

So, are these maybe an early '57 Classics?

NO! 57 Classics would have the repro "PAF" stickers. What you have are standard issue Gibson humbucker, run of the mill, patent number pickups. Not to say they may not sound great, but they are not any sort of special issue pickups.

NO! 57 Classics would have the repro "PAF" stickers. What you have are standard issue Gibson humbucker, run of the mill, patent number pickups. Not to say they may not sound great, but they are not any sort of special issue pickups.

Thanks for the help. I'm dumb when it comes to ID'ing pickups, so, forgive this next question, lol. With them NOT being '57's and just run of the mill pups, would those be considered PAF's, 490's or are they just generic Gibson pups?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, but they are '57 Classics. Got tired of trying to get an answer and e-mailed Gibson directly, "Thanks for sending the pictures. The instrument does appear consistent with a 1990 SG ’61 Standard model which would have ’57 Classic humbucking pick-ups. The letters “HCH” are the code the factory used to indicate that instrument was to receive the Heritage Cherry finish."

Cheers.

Archived