Gibson Brands Forums

GASing for a 2015 SG Special

sjruvolo

Can't wait for my local GC to have a 2015 SG special in the translucent ebony to try out. Just have to see for myself what the finish looks like, the new zero nut sounds like and the ease of tunimg with the G-Force is all about. Have to admit I will give all this new technology a try even if I am reluctant to do so. Sometimes you have to change with the times. The new Special looks like a really nice guitar for an a somewhat afordable price, given the modern tech, gloss finish and hardshell case. I will let you know if I buy one to add to the collection.

Hope you have a positive experience with it.

Yes, there has been a lot of trashing of the 2015 line around here... and I appreciate others' opinions—and might even agree with them on some counts.

But, in the end, it's a Gibson and you can't really go wrong. That translucent black finish has me intrigued, as well. Looks great on the SG. I am going to bide my time and wait it out a bit before I seriously consider a 2015. If and when, it will be a Cherry LP Special double cut, or a translucent black SG Special.

Keep us posted!

Good luck and keep us posted

EDIT:

Inspired by you post i went out and tried a Sg Standard '14 with min-etune.

The robot tuner was quit nice really [blush]

In 10 second it was in decent tune.

The guitar felt nice to. Good set-up, a tad to high maybe. Heritage cherry with a nice grain, one piece body.

No binding at the nut, and fret buzz i did't hear. Fret board looked a bit dry, but that would lemon oil cure.

The 120 inlay at the 12 fret did't bother me

All in all i got the F..... GAS, even talked to the store guy how much down in prize when the '15 models come in stock. He could't tell but i guess 300-400 $.

Only drawback was that the store guy told a story about a friend buying a Gibson with Min-etune where one of the tuners went bad a couple of month ago, and Gibson hadn't sent a new one or reacted yet. Hmmm why would he tell me that?

So if any Gibson customer service read this, whats the policy, if one tuner goes bad. Do you ship a new one. Do you have to replace the whole system if one tuner goes bad? When the G-force system comes, will you still have parts for those with Min-etune? Will the G- Force fit '14 models?

Archived