Gibson Brands Forums

Thread Title Deleted by Author

SoundMaster

Some other Gibsons with 498T PUs here, but this is my only LP featuring one.

Alex Lifeson Axcess, 496R in the neck position, 498T in the bridge position, GraphTech Ghost Floyd Rose bridge with six piezo saddles - the piezo volume pot is the one turned down on this picture:

AL_Axcess_zpsab899705.jpg

Nice, cap...could you please explain what all that hardware is and what it does? I would really like to know!

On principal, this is a Floyd Rose vibrato system, and looks close to any of these. In particular, it is a Graph Tech Ghost LB 63 CR with piezo pickups. The Alex Lifeson Axcess LP comes stock with that.

Any Floyd Rose system is based on the double-locking principle for achieving perfect tuning stability, even after pushing down until strings slack. When stringing, the ball ends must be cut off, and the strings are locked at the saddles. After tuning the guitar, the strings are locked at the nut, too. Precise tuning is done with the finetuners on the bridge which in most cases use the locking screws as tuning lever.

Setting up a Floyd Rose guitar takes some patience, in particular adjusting string action. To avoid damage to knife-edges and screw posts, the guitar has to be tuned down completely and all the vibrato springs must be removed. It's a game of trial and error, but it's once and forever when staying with string brand and gauge. I did nothing to my first FR guitar, an Ibanez RG 430, except changing strings since my last change of string gauge in 2001.

Here are links to the guitar and to the FR bridge - I tried to link the Graph Tech Acousti-Phonic, too, but mysteriously it didn't work:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Alex-Lifeson-Les-Paul-Axcess/Specs.aspx

http://www.graphtech.com/products/product-detail/pn-0080-c0-ghost-lb63-floyd-rose-style-bridge---chrome?id=d38d9e98-0c8a-44db-93ee-19ef29cd030a

My AL Axcess LP impressed me that deeply that I had two of my Fender FR Strats modded for this Graph Tech system, too. Later I bought some more hybrid guitars with hardtails, all of them with Fishman systems stock. The AL Axcess LP made me a hybrid guitar addict so to say. No more hassle with changing guitars on the fly, no more feedbacks, and awesome acoustic tones through dedicated acoustic amps.

All of the active guitar outputs are automatically either blended mono or stereo with separate magnetic and piezo outputs, depending on using TR or TRS plugs. The AL Axcess even has two jacks for separate use if desired.

I hope this helps, but feel free to ask further questions, please.

This is a very pretty one, Cjmwrx. [love] A shame they don't make them anymore.

I guess she has a 490R in the neck position?

Thank You. I am very happy with it. Yes, it has a 490R in the neck. I did however swap the A5 magnet in the bridge for an A2 magnet out of a BB3.

2001 Les Paul Standard Double Cut with 498T

76968D8A-249D-402F-9694-4DA3C271EA8F_zps5hpqqq3d.jpg

Oh crap. I so almost bought one of them. Damn. Another one that I shoulda.

NOICE!*

rct

*pronounced like Pippy or Farns or Rabs said it.

Oh crap. I so almost bought one of them. Damn. Another one that I shoulda.

NOICE!*

rct

*pronounced like Pippy or Farns or Rabs said it.

I wanted one of these for a LONG time. And when it showed up used at GC, I pounced on it. I am really glad I did.

Hope you like 'em

The finish is starting to show signs of use now, which I'm strangely happy about. Being thin it was never going to last anyway!

[thumbup] Clearly a "LIKE" from here! [biggrin]

Finish wear is a certain side effect when beating the hell out of them beasts. ;)

Archived