Gibson Brands Forums

I feel bad for this kid

Gibson Artist

I guess someone stole his xavierre les paul guitar and for like over 2 months he's been posting on Craigslist for someone to help him find it. Doubt anyone will, but it would be cool if someone wealthy gave the kid a les paul, if i had the cash i would. Still, i admire his persistence, kid must really want his guitar back because its going on 3 months and he hasnt given up yet.

http://providence.craigslist.org/msg/4742792216.html

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Duane. [thumbup]

I must have missed something cos when I read it I would have assumed the guy had pawned it or sold it on at some stage and was wishing he had it back so trying to track down the current owner. You see that with cars sometimes where people try to track down 'Dad's old car'.

But if it was nicked thats bad and good on ya Duane as we say in these parts =D>

Sent a message.... Offered to buy the kid a 500 series.... I couldn't find a 700!series... Will see if he pings me back

That's very generous of you Duane, thieves suck but its always heartwarming when someone wrongs a right. I wonder if the person flagging his posts is the thief themself?

Nice one Duane. [thumbup]

I must have missed something cos when I read it I would have assumed the guy had pawned it or sold it on at some stage and was wishing he had it back so trying to track down the current owner. You see that with cars sometimes where people try to track down 'Dad's old car'.

But if it was nicked thats bad and good on ya Duane as we say in these parts =D>

He said he lost it, kinda sounds to me like its stolen lol. You could be right, but people dont usually lose a guitar, its either sold/traded or stolen.

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't read that that was stolen. Sounds more like he sold/traded it and lost track of it or just lost it which seems weird.

I don't read that that was stolen. Sounds more like he sold/traded it and lost track of it or just lost it which seems weird.

Same here...plus he does not look like a kid to me...at all.

Looks like he is looking for that guitar in particular and not just "a" guitar, since it looks like he had that Strat behind him too.

The "Had coil taps when I had it" comment makes me agree with what farns says.

Not taking anything away from Duane's kind gesture.

• 4 weeks later...

Sent a message.... Offered to buy the kid a 500 series.... I couldn't find a 700!series... Will see if he pings me back

I got an email back from him, he said he traded with a guy who gave him a strat copy that fell apart the day after the trade then the guy said he sold it and but does not know whom he sold it too.

So the kid got burned in a trade and is trying to trade to get his guitar back, he got screwd on a bad deal. He never did get your email, he says the spam folder might have deleted it.

i am 45, but i felt bad for the guy/kid whatever he is, i just figured he was young because he kept begging for help for months and wouldnt give up lol.

I am 45 too, the link is dead but I remember the dude looked pretty rugged (cigarette in hand and all). An the guitar was not stolen.

I am sure he'll be fine, like I said before he seems to have remorse for having traded that particular guitar and it is not like he is looking for anything else other than that particular guitar. Hard to help somebody in that situation.

It's not like he does not have a guitar to play.

• 7 months later...

Also, its not the fact of if I have another to play or not. Its the principal of what happened when it left my possession and the way I was cheated. Fact is, I made a trade, which I never said it was "stolen" although technically it was. I acquired two Strat copies in trade for the Xaviere. However, within a week they fell apart. Electronics fried out, hardware fell apart, etc. I tried to contact the person I traded with and he disappeared. He knew he was giving me junk. And he knew that when we did the trade, I wouldn't be able to test things out, so he just made them "look good". I got ripped off. And, to me, that's just as dishonest and low as stealing. I want what is rightfully mine, back in my possession.

In a lifetime of guitaring I've seen all kinds of mistakes and bad trades and bad sales and bad buys. It happens, it happens to all of us. Move on, get the next guitar and play it and love it.

rct

Fact is, I made a trade, which I never said it was "stolen" although technically it was...

...I want what is rightfully mine, back in my possession...

No, it wasn't "stolen". You made a trade.

Furthermore you could get into serious legal trouble if you insist on insinuating the person with whom you made the trade was 'technically' a thief; he wasn't. You made a trade.

What's "rightfully" yours are the two Strat copies. The Xavierre is rightfully his. You made a trade.

What part of all this do you not understand?

P.

please excuse my ignorance, but is this referring to the $200-$300 Chinese made guitars sold through guitar fetish? if so, hopefully selling the 2 strat copies on ebay would go some way toward covering the cost of getting a new one if they are still available (or a second hand one)

Which part of my post was incorrect?

The fact that YOU made a lousy trade is YOUR FAULT.

Deal with it.

P.

Sorry to say bro, but he's right. I would tell you it is also the ***-hat's fault that gave you the lemon, but that's what you get when you don't test something out. It's definitely your fault for not testing it further.

You have every right to be pissed off and if you see that guy again he deserves a good punch in the face, but there's not much you can do.

Caveat Emptor- let the buyer beware! SO VERY hard to do especially in the 'heat' of the sale, especially over the internet.

Truly sorry for your bad deal. In my opinion I go the route of (shudder!) EBay- unless the item is intentionally mis-repesented, refer back to the Latin at the beginning of the post.

We've all been there and oft times the mind, being fixated on an item, overrides due diligence. My recent acquisition LP Studio; the sales guy brings it out- I am immediately enamoured BUT I force myself to sit quietly and put it through it's paces, seriously reminding myself that if ANYTHING is wrong whatsoever to put it aside. Happily, there was nothing lacking in the 'must have' department. But often there was and "regret soon follows impulse." (Saying I made up to remind myself the order is "Ready, Aim, Fire" not "Ready, Fire Aim"!)

Brian

Actually its not. If someone screws someone over, its their fault and makes them the bad person. Period. As I said, in my eyes its his fault. Which is my opinion. And I am entitled to it. If you don't agree, that's fine, but there is no need to keep trying to change my view on it. I am going to continue to search for what is rightfully mine. There have been plenty of times where I made trades, and the person I traded with decided they wanted to "undo it" for whatever reason, and I have always been alright with that. End of it.

It's a three hundred dollar knock-off. Imagine how righteous you will feel about the next guitar. Move on, bro. Move on, your XV whatever isn't here, and this being a Gibson forum you would be hard pressed to find anyone actually looking for an XV whatever I would think.

rct

Archived