Gibson Brands Forums

Musiciansfriend Purchase

RXXX20

I'm going to put this out there to relieve some minor anxiety...

I think I got a good deal...time will tell. I became a major Gibson acoustic convert when I got my J-45. Two weeks ago, I went to Guitar Center and played all of the gibsons (there were a lot more in stock than when I bought mine): Hbird, AJ, 07 J-45, SJ and perhaps one or two others. But, I have to say I was very impressed by the Songwriter Deluxe...visually and play-wise.

Fast forward to last week: Musiciansfriend.com...they had one listed as Scratched or Dented. Plus I got an additional 20% off via coupon...I paid $1350 and it has the Lifetime Warranty (versus $1999 plus tax in the store). Plus, if it is scratched to the extent I can't live with it, I can send it back within 45 days. My reasoning is that at best, it may not be anymore 'played' than a guitar you buy off the rack in the store that has been previewed by ten people per day for a year.

So now I am waiting with trepidation for it to arrive...a bit of a gamble but one that has a safety net.

Thoughts?

RX,

Buyer's remorse. It is a difficult psychological phenomenon with which to contend. Nonetheless, though biased in my opinion, I think you will ABSOLUTELY LOVE your Songwriter. I too have experienced Buyer's remorse....and, it involved a Songwriter. Go figure.

In the end, it all worked out....as it will for you too! $1,350 for a Songwriter ! RX, you could not have done better !

Enjoy !

I wouldn't lose any sleep. Not only did you get a great deal, but if you aren't completely satisfied, Musician's Friend is as good as gold on their return policy. I bought a J-45 Rosewood that i returned(I found that I don't like short scale, so I got my AJ). Just treat it really nice until you decide for sure. You'll probably love it.

I wouldn't lose any sleep. Not only did you get a great deal' date=' but if you aren't completely satisfied, Musician's Friend is as good as gold on their return policy. I bought a J-45 Rosewood that i returned(I found that I don't like short scale, so I got my AJ). Just treat it really nice until you decide for sure. You'll probably love it.[/quote']

Is it the sound you didn't like about the short-scale? Is there that much of a difference between the lengths, in terms of physically playing the two?

Congratulations on your excellent deal and new guitar RX

Thanks for all the reassurance.

I have no doubts about the instrument, having played one. A little hesitation about the 'deal,' so to speak. Seemed like too good a deal to pass up...

Due to arrive on 1/04. I will post some pics shortly after.

I just recently purchased a Songwriter from a local store and I love it! As far as MF goes, don't worry. I bought a Breedlove AC25SR+ from them a while back and when it arrived it looked like someone had stepped on the top and crushed it. I called and had no problems returning it. The next one they sent actually came with the case they promised me the first time and everything was in mint condition. You will love the Songwriter.

Congrats on what will be an great purchase. IMHO not enough people sing the praises of the SW, so I did a little tribute to the SWD on the UMGF the other day--spreading the Gospel so to speak, ... no that's not right, that's a whole other model...oh well.:D

swdvs-1.jpg

You made a great choice RXXX20. The Songwriter Deluxe is an amazing guitar and a bit of a sleeper. But its devotees are growing. Plus, as others have pointed out, you can't miss with MF's return policy. But I suspect you won't need it.

Nid2007 -- awesome 'burst SWD.

Pics will be up soon!

Here's the rundown:

At first glance, the songwriter seemed perfect. Keep in mind it was a MF "Blem" item to begin with.

No blemishes on the front or back.

I did notice that the battery broke loose during shipping. I know this is not that uncommon. Anyone have experience fixing that? It looks like it was secured by a piece of masking tape or something.

Sounds phenomenal plugged or unplugged. Very different sound than my J45, and also has a very fast fretboard; virtually plays itself. It also looks great. I was totally swayed by the pearl inlays on the fretboard.

And now the bad part: There is a 4 inch crack in the finish on the bottom (the part that rests on your lap). With the deal I got, I am still intending to keep her. I may have the luthier look her over before my guarantee period is up, but overall I am very pleased. I will post pics of the blemish, which is pretty hard to see.

No blems on the front....this is good. 4-inch blem on lower side.....that's hard to see, I think you're in good shape.

Having a luthier take a look is a good idea though - just to protect your warranty concerns.

Your comment about plays itself............could not have said it any better ! This is one of the incredible things about this model - playability is extreme. I suppose that's why it's called the Songwriter - everybody needs help every now and then.

Congrats Again !

Gibson went through a period where they had a bad batch of Velcro (that's what your battery is atached with if it's in a black case). I had it happen on several of my guitars. I solved the problem by buying some Industrial Strength Velcro at the store and replaced my original Velcro. Worked like a charm. It didn't cost much and was sure cheaper and easier than returning the guitar to Gibson for repair.

99.9% certain I am keeping...This is shaping up to be a major guitar playing weekend.

I did indeed find a black velcro battery case inside. I have fixed the battery setup for now, although I will perhaps go back in later to sure it up with some better velcro, etc. No glues, of course. I got a good look inside via mirror/flashlight. Looks good to me. I verified the finish crack on the bottom is merely on the finish. Also, I polished the exterior and gave it a very thorough going over. It is otherwise perfect.

Regarding the cracked finish: The more I play this guitar, the more okay I am with the minor blemish. It is not visible under normal circumstances (as it is on the bottom). My concern is whether this can worsen or spread. Can it be sealed somehow? (Not for cosmetics so much as preventative care).

Perhaps if you could post a photo of the finish crack, we'd better know what we're dealing with. Is it an actual crack or a scratch? Some scratches can be rubbed out.

If you happened to get one with the "bad Velcro", it will probably come loose again. If that happens, then I'd replace the Velcro. There's a possibility that it just got knocked loose during shipping.

(Is it the sound you didn't like about the short-scale? Is there that much of a difference between the lengths, in terms of physically playing the two?)

It was just the feel of short scale. I played it very gently for several hours, and never really thought about the difference in feel before then. I played an old Epiphone forever which had a long scale neck. When I finally treated myself to my dream guitar, I made sure that it felt right to me. That J-45 rosewood was a VERY nice guitar and sounded fantastic. My AJ was equally fantastic in every way. I like it so much that I bought a Brazilian AJ too.

Update...

I can't get the crack to appear in a pic...too much glare and the crack is too small.

I have been playing the new guitar all day. I also brought it to the luthier when I picked up my other guitar tonight. He can fix the crack for about 75-150 depending on how aesthetic I want it to be. He also offered to fix the recurring loose battery issue as a bonus. The crack, he said, is in the wood.

Given the awesome setup/saddle job he just did on the J-45 I think it seems like a pretty good deal.

RXXX20-I think you got yourself a beautiful guitar there my friend. The more I see of these Songwriters, the more they grow on me. I think you might just be lucky with the scratch on the bottom. You got a great price and now you don't have to get all weepy, like myself and others, when you get the first owie on a pristine instrument. When I got my J-45 it had very light little swirls on the back from the original owners sweater. He pointed this out before I bought it, and I have to hold it up at a slight angle to see them clearly. I now just pretend I put them there and you surely can't see them when you're playing the thing anyway. I hope you keep it and enjoy the heck out of it!

Nid2007-I agree. That is one handsome Songwriter 'burst you have there too!! I'm gassing for a J-200 'burst but yours has given me a case of cognitive disonance. Better than the trots. I guess! Keep pickin' those Gibbys!!

Archived