Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V - Shark Fin

Hopkins

Hi,

Over the last year I have become increasingly tempted to buy a Flying V. However, the one of the things I have always loved is the strings-through/shark fin tailpiece. The more I look around the less common they seem to be! Epiphone use them a lot, but as for mahogany Gibsons go, they are few and far between. Not only that, but I have found barely any discussion about them on the internet. So, I have two questions:

1) Is it just me who thinks that they look so awesome that I wonder why any Flying Vs would even be made without them?

2) Do they have any tonal quirks which make them less popular? I would have thought that the string-through design should impact the tone in a positive way.

Cheers!

I'm not a guitar manufacturer, but I do play one on the internet.

I think they want to have as many common processes for making a guitar as they can. So if you can imagine a bunch of blanks of mahogany that are going to become guitars, it would be easiest and most cost effective if you could bridge them all up the same way. That'd be a guess though. Not a big fan of Vs so I have no opinion either way, in fact, I haven't played enough of them in my life to think anything of them.

rct

I'm not a guitar manufacturer, but I do play one on the internet.

I think they want to have as many common processes for making a guitar as they can. So if you can imagine a bunch of blanks of mahogany that are going to become guitars, it would be easiest and most cost effective if you could bridge them all up the same way. That'd be a guess though. Not a big fan of Vs so I have no opinion either way, in fact, I haven't played enough of them in my life to think anything of them.

rct

[biggrin] And I'm not a guitar player, but I do play one here. [scared] :P [lol]

All kidding aside, my experiences on Vs don't exceed yours. However, as a player and potential buyer I think a hardtail V should come with a shark fin tailpiece. I agree that it takes more effort compared to drilling for stopbars or through the body for string holes in line, but I think it is worth doing it and buying the required parts. Just my two cents.

Thanks for your opinions! In combination with the general lack of interest in replying to this question, perhaps the answer to one is (1) No, but you're in a minority. (2) remains open.

I think that V players in general are in the minority, but there is nothing wrong with that. I also think, based on my experience, that "tone" is rarely if ever the reason anything is done as far as producing guitars goes. A strung through V prolly sounds just as great as a stop tail V, the difference in "tone" just isn't enough to warrant one over the other, it's how many the can/do sell.

rct

Hi,

Over the last year I have become increasingly tempted to buy a Flying V. However, the one of the things I have always loved is the strings-through/shark fin tailpiece. The more I look around the less common they seem to be! Epiphone use them a lot, but as for mahogany Gibsons go, they are few and far between. Not only that, but I have found barely any discussion about them on the internet. So, I have two questions:

1) Is it just me who thinks that they look so awesome that I wonder why any Flying Vs would even be made without them?

2) Do they have any tonal quirks which make them less popular? I would have thought that the string-through design should impact the tone in a positive way.

Cheers!

I assume you mean like this. I usually see these in korina, not mahogany. Gibson does seem to do special runs with this tailpiece but they are rare. Mine sound great but it might be the Shaw pickups and wiring more than the tailpiece. I have two V's with a stop tailpieces that sound great as well, all have different pups, all sound great.

11348183275_cb0ae29b28_o.jpg

I think that V players in general are in the minority, but there is nothing wrong with that. I also think, based on my experience, that "tone" is rarely if ever the reason anything is done as far as producing guitars goes. A strung through V prolly sounds just as great as a stop tail V, the difference in "tone" just isn't enough to warrant one over the other, it's how many the can/do sell.

Although I agree that sales will drive the products, and sales need not be influenced primarily by tone, surely it underlies many designs? The Les Paul is a classic example, with people often claiming that they have to use it despite the tiring weight because nothing else quite gets the same tone. (Of course, these people may be deluding themselves... I've never played a Les Paul and I've always been attracted to "techy" guitars like Steinberger - "features" rather than "tone"! And I'd love a V because they look cool, so I'm supporting your argument quite strongly here :D.)

I assume you mean like this. I usually see these in korina, not mahogany. Gibson does seem to do special runs with this tailpiece but they are rare. Mine sound great but it might be the Shaw pickups and wiring more than the tailpiece. I have two V's with a stop tailpieces that sound great as well, all have different pups, all sound great.

Yup, that's what I mean. Gibson recently did a 7 string V in mahogony with that tailpiece. It looks superb - it's as if the V was designed for an odd number of strings:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Flying-V/Gibson-USA/Flying-V-7-String.aspx

It was expensive but I sort of wish I'd coughed up and bought it. It's not like it will fall in value much!

I have not had the pleasure of playing a V with the shark fin/strings through the body but if I was going to buy one that's one of the things I'd be looking for. It's just such a great touch.

Excellent! Perhaps if this thread gains some momentum they'll make more of them :D.

The very same one who posted the picture of his older early 80s (?) V in this thread. I remember when they came out but I didn't have the loot at the time and then my interest shifted to Italian motorcycles so I never picked one up.

I would like to see Gibson reintroduce that model at a sane price as just a normal model as opposed to some sort of Historic piece priced through the roof. I think that would be a very popular model and maybe introduce a sibling model with a short vibrato tail piece as well. Make them to the same standards as a Firebird V and VII.

Of course, what I want and what will happen are probably two entirely different things.

The very same one who posted the picture of his older early 80s (?) V in this thread. I remember when they came out but I didn't have the loot at the time and then my interest shifted to Italian motorcycles so I never picked one up.

I would like to see Gibson reintroduce that model at a sane price as just a normal model as opposed to some sort of Historic piece priced through the roof. I think that would be a very popular model and maybe introduce a sibling model with a short vibrato tail piece as well. Make them to the same standards as a Firebird V and VII.

Of course, what I want and what will happen are probably two entirely different things.

Yes, my V is one of the 1982 "pre-Historics" got it new for about $800. That seemed pricey at the time to me but I had just gotten a $5000 inheritance and the money was burning a hole in my pocket. Custom Shop makes these now but the price is crazy.

Flying V

I don't think I'll be spending $4500 on a Flying V anytime soon.

Would you mind posting a picture of the back of the guitar showing where the strings go through? Is there any sort of a metal insert for each string or is it just into the wood?

Hi,

Cheers!

Is it only me or has the V's gotten more expensive the last few years?

I don't think I'll be spending $4500 on a Flying V anytime soon.

Would you mind posting a picture of the back of the guitar showing where the strings go through? Is there any sort of a metal insert for each string or is it just into the wood?

Sure, like on a Tele, ignore the extra screw hole in the pic, that was an experiment in strap placement.

15541805396_4b8a509de3_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived