Gibson Brands Forums

Best Kluson style machine heads

Scott93

Hi guyssss,

Im looking to replace the machine heads on my 1990 Les Paul standard. I want to go with a traditional looking silver, pearloid button kluson but not sure what to go with. I heard the current Gibson deluxe machine heads aren't up to much so I was wondering what you guys recommend and also If you know what type of bushing and size I will need for a '90 LP standard [confused] ??

thanks!!!! [biggrin]

The best Kluson style tuners already are on your guitar I think. The pictures you linked to your first topic clearly tell they are Schallers, and I doubt you will find any better ones.

Same type machine heads came stock on my 1985 Weimann Blues Bird, and I never had any reason for swapping them. They serve me well in taking up .012" - .054" string tensions since then.

Kluson type machine heads always feel a bit wobbly as open or covered tuners do in general. This is the case in particular when not under tension, they feel rightily loose-fitting which is normal with these. Sealed ones with tightly mounted tuning knobs feel much stiffer which is normal, too.

What exactly makes you think one might be on its way out?

Here are mine, wobbly as always since twenty-nine years. [biggrin] Sorry for the bad reflection around and the dust on the peghead front:

BB_Peghead_Rear_zpsaa15f510.jpg

BB_Peghead_Front_zps806a7dfc.jpg

The Peg for the G-string in particular feels awfully wobbly, I can quite easily wobble it a good, 3-5mm in pretty much ay direction. some others a bit wobbly too, but not that bad.

:( This sounds bad, perhaps something happened to it in the past. Sorry for you, Scott. [crying]

aha Its alright, its not the end of the world, thankfully machine heads aren't super expensive. So would recommend something other than schallers or do you think I should just get some more the same?? I was thinking possibly tonepros??

I don't know where those on my AL Axcess LP and on my Traditional 2013 LP are from, but the ones on my Traditional eat up E1st with their sharp edges, those on my Axcess LP don't.

All of my recent stock Grovers on Gibsons tend to break E1st strings, too, which I never experienced until 2012. Same with the locking tuners of my Fender American Deluxe Telecaster whereas those on my MIM Fenders are fine, Kluson style as well as sealed ones.

I will look for Schaller replacements and even drop the locking capabilities of three sets of Grovers. Ironically, the auto-locking Grovers on my Epiphone are fine.

Archived