Gibson Brands Forums

SG Supra Pictured

capmaster

Long announced, finally delivered: Here are some shots of my SG Supra. They may show that simple flash pics won't do her justice. There's a photo studio with nice lighting gear nearby - think I will have to hire the guy someday.

Front_1_zps027a60c0.jpg

Front_2_zps2f1a3415.jpg

Top_1_zpsaa0d4bad.jpg

Top_2_zpsc0ab18c4.jpg

Back_2_zps1e694e7b.jpg

Back_1_zps97ab732c.jpg

Some detail pics - sorry for having left that much dandruff on pickups and hardware, hadn't seen that on the small camera display. [blush]

Whatever, it comes from me playing the hell out of that thing... [biggrin]

Peghead_zpsad4026e7.jpg

Fretboard_Detail_zps4d894af6.jpg

Neck_Joint_zpsb209bc52.jpg

Pickups_zps90704807.jpg

Controls_zps497ddc53.jpg

Fantastic guitar there [thumbup]

I have a thing for 3 pickup SG's and LP's.

Also very nice flame on there.

Does it have a TogPot on that model? If so what do you think of it?

Also, call me dumb, but why does it have an unusual shaped back cover plate?

Thank you for the compliment on her, Cody. [smile]

The TogPot works fine, has 500 kOhms, but its three cables move with the toggle switch. [unsure]

The back cover also hides the battery under its extension. Battery replacement calls for removing it.

CAP! [drool]

That is absolutely stunning!!!!! Whoa! Well worth the wait brother!! That is just beautiful in every way possible! Woo Hoo! I am happy for you! Enjoy the hell out of that one my friend! Dang! [wub]

Thank you very much, Reverend. To be honest, I can stare at her unable to decide what's prettier, graining or figuring. [rolleyes] Then I stop gazing and beat the hell out of her to make her tell me, but in an instant tone is all what counts then. [biggrin]

For those interested, here's a pic of the electric cavity:

circuit_1_zps448eeae4.jpg

I put two additional felt cushions between battery and compartment on top and right hand to prevent moving, but didn't stick them to the wood. Noises from a battery bumping walls or cover would be transduced by the piezos, and I also want the battery keep from marring wood.

Hello Bence, and thank you very much.

Yes, these are four pieces of maple, top rated AAA, back rated AA. It's a "cross-section" body so to say, but I think they had no other choice for routing the piezo cable canal.

Cheers,

capmaster

No GForce? I'm crushed.

rct

She has that poorly designed locking Grovers. Too short shafts, next to no space left for putting .050" through. Additionally, due to poor tolerances I had to swap D4th and E6th tuners to get stringing anyhow done. <_<

She has that poorly designed locking Grovers. Too short shafts, next to no space left for putting .050" through. Additionally, due to poor tolerances I had to swap D4th and E6th tuners to get stringing anyhow done. <_<

Dang. But, we are pretty used to having to fool around with the machines on our Gibsons in one way or another. That's a beautiful guitar Cap, enjoy it long time in good health!

rct

Very interesting...

A pancake all maple 4-piece body... (2 book-matched pieces pancaked together)

I wonder how the tone and resonates differs from the standard Mahogany SG solid 1-piece bodied guitar... I bet it's got some serious bite & snap!

It sure is sharp lookin'!

Very interesting...

A pancake all maple 4-piece body... (2 book-matched pieces pancaked together)

I wonder how the tone and resonates differs from the standard Mahogany SG solid 1-piece bodied guitar... I bet it's got some serious bite & snap!

It sure is sharp lookin'!

Thank you for the compliment on look.

Yes, you're right about tone, and it produces very fast transients, too, allowing for rather fast action without buzz. This is the more remarkable since the piezo sound is very bright and would make buzz extremely annoying. Compared to Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess, Fender Nashville Power Telecaster, and MIM Fender FR Stratocasters modded to the Graph Tech Ghost bridge and electronics the Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess uses, the SG Supra has the trebliest piezo tone by far.

As you said mahogany and one-piece body - this is not so common with SGs although two I own seem to be that way. To my experiences, most of them are two-piece or, like my 1978 S-G, three-piece bodied.

• 2 weeks later...

cap that there is a beauty [thumbup] [thumbup] ...congratulations...I see this thread is a few days old but I just saw it....I'm not familiar with that type of bridge...

What type would that be?

I would like to go to the website and give it a looking over...

It is a Fishman Power Bridge featuring six piezo pickups for acoustic tones:

http://www.fishman.com/product/tune-o-matic-powerbridge-pickup-1

To my own surprise, the bridge body says Made in Germany engraved on the bottom, but I can't say if Fishman have them made by Schaller or ABM. The electronics say Fishman.

I've got one of these too. But in Trans Black. It is a thing of beauty! Love the 57's in her and love the extra flavor you can add with the piezo bridge. The thing that REALLY disappoints me about this particular guitar is if the batterey dies, you have NO output. Maybe mine has a flaw but the first time my battery died, I thought the darn thing was broken. I could only get the center pup to have output if I cranked the togpot. Plus, I hate the fact that you have to removed 7 tiny screws to get to it. Picture trying to do that back stage in poor lighting. I can't bring myself to sell it because I love playing it and I love the neck on this one. I read that this neck is different than any other SG made.

I've got one of these too. But in Trans Black. It is a thing of beauty! Love the 57's in her and love the extra flavor you can add with the piezo bridge. The thing that REALLY disappoints me about this particular guitar is if the batterey dies, you have NO output. Maybe mine has a flaw but the first time my battery died, I thought the darn thing was broken. I could only get the center pup to have output if I cranked the togpot. Plus, I hate the fact that you have to removed 7 tiny screws to get to it. Picture trying to do that back stage in poor lighting. I can't bring myself to sell it because I love playing it and I love the neck on this one. I read that this neck is different than any other SG made.

The battery change thing is a bit poor indeed. Replacing in advance would be best. They live around 250 hours typically with the Fishman Power Pot circuits. On the other hand, I understand well that they couldn't mount a flush countersunk battery case to a body with SG depth. The most convenient battery compartments are those on the Fender Nashville Power Telecaster backs. Replacing the battery takes a few seconds only, and there is a red light warning before the out put goes dead.

There are seven hybrid guitars in my arsenal which I love, all of them active what I think is best, and so they all would go dead with a dead battery. The Supra is the only one where battery replacement takes more than a few seconds, much more, but I can live with it.

I also dig both the electronically switched output configurations. When practicing, I use my hybrid guitars mono and select my amp & speaker emulations according to pickups, i. e. bypass when using piezos. Playing with the band I use them stereo, all controls open, with dedicated volume pedals for acoustic tone and magnetic tone amps.

Thanks Capmaster for your thoughts. I was actually thinking about cutting the cover to separate out the portion that is over that battery. That way I'll only need to take off 2 screws. Any thoughts there? I can't imagine I'd have any vibration issues. The only thing I could think of is that it might create a higher potential of contamination or the split edge might catch on clothing.

Thanks Capmaster for your thoughts. I was actually thinking about cutting the cover to separate out the portion that is over that battery. That way I'll only need to take off 2 screws. Any thoughts there? I can't imagine I'd have any vibration issues. The only thing I could think of is that it might create a higher potential of contamination or the split edge might catch on clothing.

I think it would call for four more screws to keep edges from catching, so I leave it. Admittedly, I would have loved adding thread bushings to the dedicated battery lid mount positions for using ISO metric screws.

Thank you very much, Reverend. To be honest, I can stare at her unable to decide what's prettier, graining or figuring. [rolleyes] Then I stop gazing and beat the hell out of her to make her tell me, but in an instant tone is all what counts then. [biggrin]

For those interested, here's a pic of the electric cavity:

I put two additional felt cushions between battery and compartment on top and right hand to prevent moving, but didn't stick them to the wood. Noises from a battery bumping walls or cover would be transduced by the piezos, and I also want the battery keep from marring wood.

That cavity is so clean you can practically eat out of it!!

That cavity is so clean you can practically eat out of it!!

They had left some reddish residue after buffing, and before taking the picture I thoroughly removed it. I used soft tissues, cotton buds and nitro-safe contact cleaner. It worked nicely as always. [biggrin]

Archived