Gibson Brands Forums

Why are Signature T's so "cheap"?

alexthegreat404

I got one about a month ago and am in love. I got mine in Vintage Sunburst and with Min ETune for $1800 from Zzounds. Now, that isn't cheap and I know its a 2013 model, but that is far less than what most Traditionals and Classics are. In fact, most Signature T's are around $1500 if you get one in another finish without Min Etune. So my question is, why are they so much less than Traditionals and Classics? I can't figure out where the quality would warrant a cheaper price- the granadillo fretboard isn't exactly a step down from rosewood, and the finish and features are pretty comparable.

I know the Standard has the compound radius fretboard and a bit nicer of a finish, but man, under $2,000 for a Les Paul so similar to a Standard? Grab em while they're still around! What do you guys think of the Ts?

I always wondered about the price difference for the T's as well. They looked like great Les Pauls except for the awful T truss rod cover - but that's easily fixed by replacing it with a blank one. I could see why the Trad Pros were cheaper with the cost cutting satin finish back, but the 'T' was all gloss to my knowledge.

Granadillo makes a big difference! I too was wondering why this model was cheaper than the others; missed reading that in the specifications.

Hello!

There is no real reason behind it. It was well-priced to sell, unlike... never mind.

It is a great guitar, with American rosewood instead of Indian.

Cheers... Bence

I remember in the 70s and 80s as detuned cars came out with electronic ignitions and egr valves cataletic converters etc how gear heads were enraged. They would buy cars and rip those things out and quickly have it converted to points and condensers. I will remove my robo tuner and send it to Searcy ASAP because I want something like I have played for 40 years. The Camero is another fine example it is nothing like a 69 other than looks. We knew things would change someday just like cars amps and effects. Its bound to always happen, the Les Pauls of today really are nothing like the 1960 Les Paul and 2060 they will be different again. This is something we cannot fight, change always happens.

LOL! Great comparison as I am a gearhead to the core and started my career as an automotive tech in the mid-70s when the changes started. Although the reason the auto companies started putting all the emission control changes in were mandated by goverment regulations for emissions and increasingly on fuel economy. My summer car is a 2001 Roush Musting that has soo many mods it's not funny. The cats are long gone and with other electrical system mods and thanks to the tune in the PCM, there are no indications they're not there, other than the eye-stinging/rich aroma of the combustion process, a blissful exhasut tone and an extra kick in the arse!

To me it seems like Gibson is making every effort to have available the classic Les Pauls at affordable prices for everyone who does not like the change. Older player like myself do not want to try the change or will maybe try it later, they have anticipated this and have made a ready supply of 2014 and 2013s available at discounted prices. It seems to me they are trying to be fair about it.

I think it's a case of there are a lot of unsold 2013 and 2014 models because people didn't buy them so the retailers are trying to blow them out the door.

I don't believe that some benevolent bean counter planned it that way.

Picture Mr. Burns from The Simpsons, not kindly old Chris Kringle.

I always wondered about the price difference for the T's as well. They looked like great Les Pauls except for the awful T truss rod cover - but that's easily fixed by replacing it with a blank one. I could see why the Trad Pros were cheaper with the cost cutting satin finish back, but the 'T' was all gloss to my knowledge.

When I first saw the Signature T, I immediately put together in my head the old T-Top pickups. The look gave further credence to my misconception as it came adorned with black open-bobbin humbuckers and they looked similar to T-Tops. I had hoped that's what it was for that it was a reissue of a T-Top pickup in a Les Paul... But I was completely mistaken and it had nothing whatsoever to do with T-Tops...

It is a killer looking guitar and I'd go for one without the mini-e-tune in a heartbeat where I looking for a new Les Paul... If I'm not mistaken they are either '57 classics or 490's on that and they are awesome pickups that are actually kind of similar to T-Tops in output and sound anyway, but that is rather coincidental and has nothing to do with the intentions of the "T" model designation.

They are a very affordable and nice looking Les Paul Model. I'd purchase either one of those or a Traditional were I in the market...

Searcy pickup seriously good? I've thought about commissioning him for a tele pickup. Let's just keep talking about him like he isn't here.

Great Les Pauls by the way, you sure do a lot of things to them. I un-do a lot of things like pots and stuff.

rct

I knew it was the epa regulations and fuel economy mandates that caused it all but to the consumer it feels the same. I remember my father and uncles were mad and were replacing things, as a youth I embraced the electronic ignition as my first car was a 76 Monte Carlo.

You had a lot of uncles out there! I was the guy fixing them to run right after they were done taking things off they really didn't understand. [tongue]

And you are 100% correct, to the consumer it appears the same.

Well, I know, you talk this one:

ViUFy60.jpg?1

... but what about some more? [rolleyes][love]

Here is one I took today with most of my new rig! Its hooked up to my Blues Deluxe and a Fulldrive 2!

I also recently removed the pickguard on "Heartbreaker", but I may put it back on her one day!

http://imgur.com/LTFeh9M

And I am loving all of your pics as well, everyone! It is such a shame this was a one year production model, its definitely the best deal on a Les Paul I have yet to see!

Here is one I took today with most of my new rig! Its hooked up to my Blues Deluxe and a Fulldrive 2!

I also recently removed the pickguard on "Heartbreaker", but I may put it back on her one day!

LTFeh9M.jpg?1

And I am loving all of your pics as well, everyone! It is such a shame this was a one year production model, its definitely the best deal on a Les Paul I have yet to see!

Oh, how I love those naked... [scared] ... ahem - those nice LPs without pickguards, I wanted to say. [biggrin][thumbup]

The Signature T is the same guitar as a trad but it had a granadillo board and coil tapping it was basically a classic. The T stood for tuning it featured the mine tune or locking tuners. It was the same price as the classic plus the classic custom and the classic, $1899 it is just a 2013 on close out. The traditional is not weight relieved and had a 50s neck.

Actually, the T stands for "Tribute". It's called the Les Paul Signature T Model as a tribute to Les Paul during Gibson's "year of the Les Paul". I have one in Vintage Sunburst. It's a great guitar. I bought it new with OHSC for $1399.00 at Sam Ash. I have a '96 Classic in Heritsge Cherry Sunburst and a '79 Wine Red Standard. It's really difficult to show equal love to them. if you're looking for a Les Paul, it's the best value going. I will seek out used ones in the future. The coil taps, Nashville bridge, speed knobs and locking Grover tuners are an incredible compliment to the book matched maple plus top. I usually play Seymour Duncan pups. But the '57 classic and Classic + are nice.

Archived