Gibson Brands Forums

Why are Signature T's so "cheap"?

alexthegreat404

I bought one in Vintage (faded tobacco) Sunburst with no Min E Tune. It's a great guitar. The nitro finish has issues. But, they usually do. I stole it new for $1399.00 w/OHSC at Sam Ash. I also have a '96 Classic in Heritage Cherry Sunburst and a '79 Wine Red Standard. It's really difficult to show equal love to them. If you're looking for a Les Paul Standard type, it's the best value by far. I will seek out used ones in the future. The 60's neck, coil taps, Nashville bridge, CTS pots, speed knobs and locking Grover tuners are incredible compliments to the book matched maple plus top. I usually play Seymour Duncan pups. But the '57 Classic and '57 Classic Plus are nice pups. But I just got a pair of vintage double creme Duncans for it.

post-68073-091006100 1413737105_thumb.jpg

1378129_4693844480819_2206285828907744296_n.jpg?oh=f1c648569bb69c6c24ba41ddcff91fc6&oe=54AA14F3

I removed robo tuner installed grovers changed speed knobs to amber tophats and installed orange drops. The fretboard was light so I rubbed it with dye oil mix.

You will notice the Les Paul waterslide decal has a flaw in the loop I dont even care. First thing I do is drop kick it then slap it around until it starts moaning and crying and screaming and wailing. When Im done its going to wear its hair the way I say and call me pimp daddy. ;)

None are crooked. Unacceptable.

rct

I guess Donny took the picture before performing his announced "pimp daddy" mod. :P

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Its a cake walk really you put the bottom set left and right on snug them up with nuts and washers on front. Turn kidneys flat, lay a 6 inch steel ruler across the top flats of tuner where it says grover, and line them up square. install the screws. repeat on the middles then tops... gravy.

That's good craftsmanship. Cheers!

I guess Donny took the picture before performing his announced "pimp daddy" mod. :P

Nice ebony Paul. How do the caps sound? I bought a creme Duncan Antiquity neck and a Duncan Custom for my T.

But, I like the black bobbins. The '57 pups are way too bright for me. Maybe caps are worth a try. What do you think? I've heard of bumble bee's and orange. I want an alnico 2 type warm tone. Can you recommend caps to try?

Thanks

Allan

When I first saw the Signature T, I immediately put together in my head the old T-Top pickups. The look gave further credence to my misconception as it came adorned with black open-bobbin humbuckers and they looked similar to T-Tops. I had hoped that's what it was for that it was a reissue of a T-Top pickup in a Les Paul... But I was completely mistaken and it had nothing whatsoever to do with T-Tops...

It is a killer looking guitar and I'd go for one without the mini-e-tune in a heartbeat where I looking for a new Les Paul... If I'm not mistaken they are either '57 classics or 490's on that and they are awesome pickups that are actually kind of similar to T-Tops in output and sound anyway, but that is rather coincidental and has nothing to do with the intentions of the "T" model designation.

They are a very affordable and nice looking Les Paul Model. I'd purchase either one of those or a Traditional were I in the market...

I wish these came with T-Tops. Instead, they loaded the Sig T's with '57 Classic and '57 Classic Plus pickups. They are WAY too bright for me. With the coil taps added, I'm constantly riding the knobs. I don't usually do that. Because, all my vintage Duncan's are so responsive to dynamics. I love the T-Top in my '79 Standard!

Archived