Gibson Brands Forums

Weird sticker on my Iommi pickup

PB26

Bought a new Iommi pickup off eBay and everything looks normal -- the pickup, the elaborate packaging, warranty card, etc.

One thing struck me though as I was handing the pickup to the gent at the shop who's going to be installing it: the small white sticker on the pickup itself says "Toni Iommi"

Is it possible that Gibson misspelled his name? Just under the (misspelled) name is this:

860-31242

05/15/14

For what it's worth, I've attached a pic of the packaging.

Am I just being hyper-paranoid about fakes? The guy I bought it from has 100% feedback with 30,000 deals.

Bought a new Iommi pickup off eBay and everything looks normal -- the pickup, the elaborate packaging, warranty card, etc.

One thing struck me though as I was handing the pickup to the gent at the shop who's going to be installing it: the small white sticker on the pickup itself says "Toni Iommi"

Is it possible that Gibson misspelled his name? Just under the (misspelled) name is this:

860-31242

05/15/14

For what it's worth, I've attached a pic of the packaging.

Am I just being hyper-paranoid about fakes? The guy I bought it from has 100% feedback with 30,000 deals.

probably a typo. the number is Gibson's code for the pickup.

Cool, makes sense. Really hard to believe it's a fake given the packaging and the build quality. Still, I bought another one for my other SG but this time I spent the extra $50 to get it from my dealer.

They made bigger typing errors in the past. Vintage PAFs with the wrong patent number on their stickers gained a crazy value though. [biggrin]

Now I don't feel so bad. For a while there I felt like I was in a Seinfeld episode.

Well, it's official: Gibson can't spell.

Just got my second Iommi pickup, this time from my Gibson dealer, and the sticker on the underside of the pickup is just like the one I bought on eBay: "Toni Iommi"

I'm actually glad, because it basically proves the first one isn't an elaborate fake.

Well, it's official: Gibson can't spell.

Just got my second Iommi pickup, this time from my Gibson dealer, and the sticker on the underside of the pickup is just like the one I bought on eBay: "Toni Iommi"

I'm actually glad, because it basically proves the first one isn't an elaborate fake.

Perhaps they are even correct? Tony Iommi is of Italian descent, so his full first name had to be Antonio. [biggrin]

Perhaps they are even correct? Tony Iommi is of Italian descent, so his full first name had to be Antonio. [biggrin]

I can say as a fully certified Iommi fanboy that the Riffmaster's full given name is Anthony Frank Iommi. So either way, we need a "y" in there. [laugh]

Well, I just got the guitar back and I am officially blown away. What an incredible pickup! If you want that early Sabbath tone this thing is a must-have piece of the puzzle. Great job Gibson!

Well, I just got the guitar back and I am officially blown away. What an incredible pickup! If you want that early Sabbath tone this thing is a must-have piece of the puzzle. Great job Gibson!

Glad you're fine with them. [thumbup] Considering inductance, their tone should be very heavy. B)

Glad you're fine with them. [thumbup] Considering inductance, their tone should be very heavy. B)

Thanks, they are heavy indeed. They really deliver that unmistakable growl from the first two Sabbath albums.

And I didn't have the pots changed. I am genuinely perplexed by those who say these pickups are disappointing without changing to 1 meg pots. To each his own, but they are truly fierce with the stock pots in my 2013 SG Standard.

Thanks, they are heavy indeed. They really deliver that unmistakable growl from the first two Sabbath albums.

And I didn't have the pots changed. I am genuinely perplexed by those who say these pickups are disappointing without changing to 1 meg pots. To each his own, but they are truly fierce with the stock pots in my 2013 SG Standard.

The capacitive load of the guitar cable will decrease the pickup impedance along with the resonance frequency. Therefore the loss at the impedance peak is much lower than with using an infinetely short cable to a buffer amp within or close to the guitar. 1 MOhms pots will deteriorate tone significantly when turning down, and the few tenth decibels advantage with all the pots fully open are not that much. There will always be a tradeoff. It could make sense swapping just the tone pots for 1 MOhms ones but I'd leave the volume pots alone. I guess they are 300 kOhms linear?

The Dirty Fingers+ PUs of my Explorer run into 300 kOhms linear pots. No problem here, too, and it would be of same degree as with Tony Iommi PUs and 500 kOhms.

So there's no reason for worrying. The beauty is in the ear of the listener, as always! [biggrin]

The capacitive load of the guitar cable will decrease the pickup impedance along with the resonance frequency. Therefore the loss at the impedance peak is much lower than with using an infinetely short cable to a buffer amp within or close to the guitar. 1 MOhms pots will deteriorate tone significantly when turning down, and the few tenth decibels advantage with all the pots fully open are not that much. There will always be a tradeoff. It could make sense swapping just the tone pots for 1 MOhms ones but I'd leave the volume pots alone. I guess they are 300 kOhms linear?

The Dirty Fingers+ PUs of my Explorer run into 300 kOhms linear pots. No problem here, too, and it would be of same degree as with Tony Iommi PUs and 500 kOhms.

So there's no reason for worrying. The beauty is in the ear of the listener, as always! [biggrin]

Right over my head. But based on past experience I'll assume that whatever it means, it's right!

Archived