Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody own a Midtown Kalamazoo?

mountain2012

If so could you please measure the depth of the guitar (front to back)?

Also, are the spaces between the frets smaller than a Les Paul because of the shorter scale? With fender's short scales they pretty much chop off the body-end of the fretboard giving you the same length between the frets but less frets altogether. It looks like the Kalamazoo has the standard 22 frets and the short scale.

If so could you please measure the depth of the guitar (front to back)?

Also, are the spaces between the frets smaller than a Les Paul because of the shorter scale? With fender's short scales they pretty much chop off the body-end of the fretboard giving you the same length between the frets but less frets altogether. It looks like the Kalamazoo has the standard 22 frets and the short scale.

Front to back is 1-3/4"

I compared my fretboard with a Fender Santa Rosa that has 24 frets, fret placement is identical to starting at the 2nd fret and cutting off the 1st fret.

A good idea of what it feels like to play can be had by detuning your guitar a half step then capo on the first fret, it should be easier to press down the strings with just a touch less finger space. I had no trouble switching to my Kalamazoo and I've played for over 30 years. I play at a church every couple weeks and I always use the Kalamazoo, it's like an easier to play LP to me.

I put flat wound 11's on it and didn't like them, so I took off the E, A, D and wound G and replaced them with a set of 10's, leaving the B and high E from the 11's. Perfect combination for that guitar, the high strings are just so easy to compress at the short scale that the 11's work well.

Archived