Gibson Brands Forums

Recording Gear Pictured

capmaster

The reason for taking these pictures was primarily frustration. All of our gear was set up for recording after a six months (!) hiatus, and I was so excited. [smile] Then in the late afternoon the car of a bandmate went bad. A marten had bitten a coolant hose not in stock at his service garage, so the session had to be cancelled. [crying]

Then I thought I'd take some pictures. I better warn you because this is a weird setup, too crazy for the faint of heart. :o

But here for those who dare looking:

StudioFront_zpse86b7307.jpg

Recorders_zps14f8d66e.jpg

RackFront_zps58f4bf1b.jpg

RackRear_zpsea300e88.jpg

Wiring_zps75f20642.jpg

My very challenge and pride as well is recording a natural tone to the tracks. Drums and cymbals are a particular task in their own, for either sound and projection, so I start with pictures of their mics.

DrumsTotal_zpsb8f806a6.jpg

DrumsDetail_zps4e80b6c9.jpg

BassDrumMic_zpsb1daa6c0.jpg

SnareDrumMics_zps518b8b25.jpg

TomMicDetail_zps01ac4b6c.jpg

Note: This Marshall 1912 cabinet is powered by a 1980's EVM 12 L as well as my second one of these.

MiconEVMDetail_zps0ad28ea2.jpg

The 4 x 12 cabinet of a bandmate has its 1970's style stock Celestions.

MiconCelestionDetail_zps2b83564a.jpg

Hope you guys are able to get to work eventually...this must have been a lot of work!

I can relate. Had a drummer years ago who was a bit flakey. We'd get set up and ready to rock...then we'd get...the phone call...lol

All the mics except those for vocals stood there and collected dust. One of the recorders, four vocal mics, the upper two racks, UPS, a bunch of headphones, stands and cables were at another location for recording an acoustic band consisting of three beautiful young girls. [love][blush] I have to be careful, two of them are the daughters of our bass player, therefore the connection. [biggrin]

Although it was only about plugging circa 60 of 173 electrical and optical - not personal ;) - connections, it took me about two hours of breaking down, transporting, and setting up again. We hope for next weekend, but the girl group also wants me to record them then, hahaha! [rolleyes]

Setting up from the scratch takes more than four hours if everything is at hand properly and not anywhere far down in a case still nearly full... [crying]

are those all the same mics?

Next to all. There are nineteen SDC mics, eighteen or more exactly nine pairs Behringer C-2 cardioids, and for bass drum a Behringer B-5 with the omnidirectional capsule mounted. We use C-2s for recording vocals live, too.

There are not only budget reasons for using these. First, no dynamic mic can compete soundwise, not even for toms. Second, by far the most condenser mics lack sound pressure handling ability. The Behringers allow for 140 dBSPL or 150 dBSPL with 10 dB pad. All of them except for the cymbal overheads are padded. They don't allow for padding AND low cut the same time, but that's not a serious problem.

For vocal overdubs I record using Behringer B-5 mics, one each cardioid and omindirectional to have options. The vocalist gets all-analog monitoring from the omnidirectional at a distance of about 5 cm or 2 inches in front of her/his forehead. The cardioid is positioned about 20 cm or 8 inches away from the tip of the artist's nose, both levelled and directed to it. Depending on timbre, I sometimes vary the latter's position, albeit very slightly.

The psychological effect is stunning. The forehead mic position contributes nicely to the singer's discipline via monitoring, and the level of the cardiod's signal is pretty consistent this way. Also works for me when singing and recording myself. [biggrin]

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived