Gibson Brands Forums

Where is the SG/Les Paul Custom?

ALFA ROMEO CORSE

Is the Gibson SG/Les Paul Custom discontinued? I don' t find it on Gibson.com...?? :blink:

Gsju0q.jpg

They have stopped making some of the reissues such as this one as well as the 1957 Les Paul Custom sadly. This is due to the problems with them having a lack of Ebony for the fingerboards.

They just brought out a Les Paul VOS 3 pickup Custom with a Rosewood board, so maybe they will end up doing the same with the SG/LP in time.

If they're offering LP Customs w/Richlite, I don't see why they wouldn't start offering the SG Custom the same way...

I suspect it's more of a manufacturing run cycle thing more than any other issue for the delay.

Gibson is the only guitar company in the world having "trouble" with ebony.

rct

They were also the only company in the world that was raided by automatic weapon armed federal agents of their nation's government to have wood supplies confiscated...

The baked maple boards are great and certainly do have a feel that is more similar to ebony, as you say.

I have a Les Paul Junior Special with a baked maple board and it feels great, similar to the ebony board on my '57 Custom Reissue. I think it would be better suited to the LP & SG Customs rather than the few I've seen with Rosewood, but I've never tried the Richlite Customs so can't comment on if they feel more like ebony or not.

They were also the only company in the world that was raided by automatic weapon armed federal agents of their nation's government to have wood supplies confiscated...

So, beyond the obvious jack booted thugs knee jerk, what does that tell you? Remember, this isn't about ideology, left <> right, any of that stuff. The stupid methods used are for another forum, another debate. It isn't about whether we agree with what was done about their wood supplies or how it was done or the age of the Wood Act or whatever it was. It's about making guitars and suppliers and how it all works. It's about companies with what we can assume to be way less capital, way less overhead, less margins, still managing to secure supplies of "tonewoods" without being even scrutinized. All them guys had no problems, haven't had any problems, and aren't squawking about wood supplies, or allowing some mysterious shortage to become rationalization for silly prices. That should tell you something, probably not a very good something.

rct

So, beyond the obvious jack booted thugs knee jerk, what does that tell you? Remember, this isn't about ideology, left <> right, any of that stuff. The stupid methods used are for another forum, another debate. It isn't about whether we agree with what was done about their wood supplies or how it was done or the age of the Wood Act or whatever it was. It's about making guitars and suppliers and how it all works. It's about companies with what we can assume to be way less capital, way less overhead, less margins, still managing to secure supplies of "tonewoods" without being even scrutinized. All them guys had no problems, haven't had any problems, and aren't squawking about wood supplies, or allowing some mysterious shortage to become rationalization for silly prices. That should tell you something, probably not a very good something.

rct

It tells me alot more about those that ordered such a raid here in America upon American citizens, in complete disregard for American liberty and our Constitution! There were no armed dangerous violent felons, or Islamo-Fascist terrorists hiding in the Gibson factories during normal working shift hours requiring such an assault...

Simple Sheriff Deputy served court-orders and/or legal motions and injunctions would have sufficed...

Lord knows how dangerous those shippers and receivers are... Hell a box cutter took down flight 93 and The World Trade Center towers, that packing tape can be just as lethal, oh and them forklift drivers coulda done some damage... Couldn't risk it after 9/11 hadta go in with full SWAT regalia in perfect para-military form for those dastardly Gibson workers...

If you think it wasn't political, that's intellectually dishonest!

Puh-lease!!!

The baked maple boards are great and certainly do have a feel that is more similar to ebony, as you say.

I have a Les Paul Junior Special with a baked maple board and it feels great, similar to the ebony board on my '57 Custom Reissue. I think it would be better suited to the LP & SG Customs rather than the few I've seen with Rosewood, but I've never tried the Richlite Customs so can't comment on if they feel more like ebony or not.

I've heard alot of great things about baked-maple boards and they have garnered themselves a cult following and should be come a regular offering that would alleviate alot of the "lacking" in the problem Gibson has sourcing Ebony...

It tells me alot more about those that ordered such a raid here in America upon American citizens, in complete disregard for American liberty and our Constitution!

Simple Sheriff served court-orders and/or legal motions and injunctions would have sufficed...

I am still wondering how the publication of a research by the zoo of Zurich, Switzerland, could give way to these raids.

It tells me alot more about those that ordered such a raid here in America upon American citizens, in complete disregard for American liberty and our Constitution! There were no armed dangerous violent felons, or Islamo-Fascist terrorists hiding in the Gibson factories during normal working shift hours requiring such an assault...

Simple Sheriff Deputy served court-orders and/or legal motions and injunctions would have sufficed...

Lord knows how dangerous those shippers and receivers are... Hell a box cutter took down flight 93 and The World Trade Center towers, that packing tape can be just as lethal, oh and them forklift drivers coulda done some damage... Couldn't risk it after 9/11 hadta go in with full SWAT regalia in perfect para-military form for those dastardly Gibson workers...

Puh-lease!!!

Again, without all of that stuff. Think about it. Everyone else gets the same wood as Gibson. Everyone else uses the same suppliers. Everyone else ships and receives exactly the same way. Everyone else, regardless of their politics, DIDN'T GET RAIDED. And Gibson, regardless of their politics, if they didn't have something in mind(hey, lets stop using that 'spensive Ebony), if they secured and shipped and received their woods the same as everyone else, regardless of their politics, THEY WOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN RAIDED.

Take all the other stuff out. That's the only way you can look at it, because now, after the big kerfluffle and the guns drawn and pcs taken and all that other crap, they get to point at it and cry about how they don't have any ebony and it is just so hard for us so we'll use this cheaper stuff over here! Everyone else well, they just keep using ebony.

Pretty weird, don't you think?

rct

• 1 month later...

A 30th Anniversary Series is in my panic room.

Welcome here back from your panic room, mate. [biggrin]

Seriously, take care of this beauty. [wub] Since she looks like TV Yellow, I guess she is brought to light very often, assuming she initially had been an Alpine White one. Or did she come in TV Yellow from the start?

Again, without all of that stuff. Think about it. Everyone else gets the same wood as Gibson. Everyone else uses the same suppliers. Everyone else ships and receives exactly the same way. Everyone else, regardless of their politics, DIDN'T GET RAIDED. And Gibson, regardless of their politics, if they didn't have something in mind(hey, lets stop using that 'spensive Ebony), if they secured and shipped and received their woods the same as everyone else, regardless of their politics, THEY WOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN RAIDED.

Take all the other stuff out. That's the only way you can look at it, because now, after the big kerfluffle and the guns drawn and pcs taken and all that other crap, they get to point at it and cry about how they don't have any ebony and it is just so hard for us so we'll use this cheaper stuff over here! Everyone else well, they just keep using ebony.

Pretty weird, don't you think?

rct

I totally agree. Every other manufacturer out there seems to be getting tonewoods and making guitars as usual while Gibson is the only company to receive charges of illegal importation and get their raw materials confiscated. That pretty much tells you right there that they were doing something they weren't supposed to - then they go and play the victim when they get caught and are forced to use inferior materials to make their guitars while still charging the same and now even higher prices. I won't even consider buying a new Gibson Guitar for a long time [-X

Well, even IF Gibson was not totally above board, with the exotic woods, there are better ways to make them

comply, than the Gestapo-Storm Trooper tactics, used by the "Government!" Drawn machine guns, on a Guitar

manufacturer??? WTF??? I STILL don't understand the "need" for that kind of heavy handedness! Sanctions,

and/or a total ban, toward Gibson, of the product in question would have sufficed. IMHO. The "Government's"

show of force, was WAY over the top! And, completely unnecessary!

CB

Archived