Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup suggestions for Gibson Tribal Explorer

Alk 89

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions as to which pickups to get for my Gibson Tribal Explorer. I'm playing hard rock and heavy metal, with clean passages here and there. I was thinking about the "new" DiMarzio Illuminator pickups since a friend recommended those, but I'm not sure. I think I should stick with passive pickups though.

Thanks in advance

Hello everyone,

... I think I should stick with passive pickups though.

Thanks in advance

Hello Alk, and welcome here.

Moreover, I think staying stock would be fine, too. To my taste, the ceramic-loaded Gibson 496R and 500T pickups are among the best pickups ever made, in particular for high-gain applications. They have a nice clean tone, too.

Don't know the DiMarzio Illuminators, but at least they feature ceramic magnets, too. All of the ceramic-loaded stock pickups in my guitars are exceptional, Gibsons as well as Ibanezes - "real" and exclusive Ibanez PUs by the way, no DiMarzios. [biggrin] Anyway, it makes me wonder that the majority of pickups have AlNiCos, including those on my axes. [rolleyes]

Consider the Classic 57 for the neck and Classic 57 Plus for the bridge. I am blown away by how heavy and balanced these sound running into a dirty amp or with pedals. Lots of bass and mids without any icepick highs.

Hello Alk, and welcome here.

Moreover, I think staying stock would be fine, too. To my taste, the ceramic-loaded Gibson 496R and 500T pickups are among the best pickups ever made, in particular for high-gain applications. They have a nice clean tone, too.

Agree with capmaster. Stick with them. 496R/500T combination fits perfectly into metal style. Depending on your settings you'll be able to play from blues to metal with them.

Cheers.

Archived