Gibson Brands Forums

White Gibson (USA) SG Special Turned Brown

JIMMYGJR

I have a Gibson SG Special. White with gold hardware. I always keep the guitar in the case when not using it. I pulled it out to play and couldn't believe it. The finish looked like the guitar was kept in a smoke filled bar for five years. No one smokes in my house. In addition to the discoloration, there are small areas that are actually dark brown. The stains are under the laquer finish and cannot be removed. Around the tuning keys, the nicotine like discoloration surrounds the hardware. I've owned several Gibsons and never seen such horrid finish change. The guitar was white and now looks cream with dark spots in numerous areas.

Has anyone ever experienced a change in the guitar's finish?

Thanks

There never have been troubles on my instruments, but there's just a single vintage white Fender bass made in Japan among them, no other or "really" white ones. It was made in 2012, so it is relatively young, and the off-white vintage dye could be less sensitive due to already being blended for an "old" look.

I think linking some pictures of your particular SG and mentioning her age would be helpful for diagnosis.

Discolouring of white instruments appeared sometimes in topics in the past. Perhaps some more experienced members will chime in here.

Archived