Gibson Brands Forums

Real or fake Epi Les Paul?

RayForGibby

This post got my attention because of the guitar in question being described as having, "a buzz and possibly needing fretwork".

That and the fact that I just picked up a black Epiphone Les Paul Custom with a serial number I cannot track: S0300452

with a buzz that remained after just having the intonation corrected at Guitar Center today.

Now I'm wondering if it's possible I could have one of these "fake" guitars myself. Which would be a *****. After all, an imitation guitar of an imitation guitar is a bit too much to think about.

Can anyone check out that serial number and let me know what's up? Please?

This post got my attention because of the guitar in question being described as having, "a buzz and possibly needing fretwork".

That and the fact that I just picked up a black Epiphone Les Paul Custom with a serial number I cannot track: S0300452

with a buzz that remained after just having the intonation corrected at Guitar Center today.

Now I'm wondering if it's possible I could have one of these "fake" guitars myself. Which would be a *****. After all, an imitation guitar of an imitation guitar is a bit too much to think about.

Can anyone check out that serial number and let me know what's up? Please?

Are you sure that 4th digit is a zero and not a D? The D would fit with an 8 digit Epiphone serial number, but not a zero. If its a D, it would be: Samick (Korea), 2003, April, production #452.

Your guitar is probably just fine. It would help if you posted a picture of the side of the headstock where the headstock binding joins the neck. Your serial number is a little strange as it seems to be shorter than normal, but with Korean factories strange things are par for the course. From the number, that guitar would be made at the Samick factory in Dec 2003 with a production number of 452.

And as a final note, an Epiphone Les Paul is not an imitation of anything. They are true Les Pauls and were made at the direct request of the man himself so that more people could have the chance to own and play one without having to spend a fortune to buy one.

Your guitar is probably just fine. It would help if you posted a picture of the side of the headstock where the headstock binding joins the neck. Your serial number is a little strange as it seems to be shorter than normal, but with Korean factories strange things are par for the course. From the number, that guitar would be made at the Samick factory in Dec 2003 with a production number of 452.

And as a final note, an Epiphone Les Paul is not an imitation of anything. They are true Les Pauls and were made at the direct request of the man himself so that more people could have the chance to own and play one without having to spend a fortune to buy one.

I apologize to all Epi Les Paul owners... my comment was said without any real thought behind it.

I have an email conversation going with Gibson/Epiphone customer service and sent them photos of the guitar - so when they get back to me and clear this up I'll let you all know.

Here are the photo's you asked for.

Again, thanks to all who are helping me unravel the mystery.

post-68104-040400100 1413656084_thumb.jpg

post-68104-061876600 1413656094_thumb.jpg

post-68104-053415900 1413656104_thumb.jpg

She looks perfectly genuine to my eyes. The one thing that the fake makers always seem to mess up is the binding on the headstock. On a genuine Epi, you will notice that the binding on the headstock is about half the thickness of that on the neck. On a fake, it will be the same thickness which is very noticeable and will cause it to meet the neck binding at the halfway point of the first fret, just about at the dot marker. Your binding is exactly as it should be, about half the width of the neck or body binding. It's also extremely rare to see a fake guitar that is older than 2007 and with a serial number originating in Korea.

She looks perfectly genuine to my eyes. The one thing that the fake makers always seem to mess up is the binding on the headstock. On a genuine Epi, you will notice that the binding on the headstock is about half the thickness of that on the neck. On a fake, it will be the same thickness which is very noticeable and will cause it to meet the neck binding at the halfway point of the first fret, just about at the dot marker. Your binding is exactly as it should be, about half the width of the neck or body binding. It's also extremely rare to see a fake guitar that is older than 2007 and with a serial number originating in Korea.

OK, here's the update. Barcham was on target. Here's a response from (though they do not address exact month of production):

Thanks for sending the pictures. This appears to be a genuine Epiphone Les Paul Custom model, made in Korea in 2003. Thanks again, and I hope this helps!!

Jon Sutherland

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

www.gibson.com

So thanks again for the help.

Archived