Gibson Brands Forums

Best guitar for blues

houndman55

Yo,

Which one of the rest of the Gibson USA models is best suited for blues? I mean stuff like Firebirds, Explorers, Flying V's and any other offshoot model (moderne, nighthawk etc.). Thinking stuff like clapton, Bonamossa, Mick Taylor etc. Good sustain and high fret access. Nice driving dirty tone and clean leads. So yeah which one would you recommend? (Keep in mind that I'm broke as hell so I'll either save up or buy a good used epiphone version of whatever model you recommend).

Yo,

Which one of the rest of the Gibson USA models is best suited for blues? I mean stuff like Firebirds, Explorers, Flying V's and any other offshoot model (moderne, nighthawk etc.). Thinking stuff like Clapton, Bonamossa, Mick Taylor etc. Good sustain and high fret access. Nice driving dirty tone and clean leads. So yeah which one would you recommend? (Keep in mind that I'm broke as hell so I'll either save up or buy a good used epiphone version of whatever model you recommend).

Hello!

All of them are great for blues. It`s the player, not the guitar. (However, if think which guitar is/was commonly used by all those great musicians You have mentioned...)

You can't avoid trying them out...

Good hunting!

Best wishes... Bence

Hello!

All of them are great for blues. It`s the player, not the guitar. (However, if think which guitar is/was commonly used by all those great musicians You have mentioned...)

Good hunting!

Best wishes... Bence

Good point, gotta go to the guitar store

Keep in mind that I'm broke as hell so I'll either save up or buy a good used epiphone version of whatever model you recommend.

Hello!

Good hunting!

Best wishes... Bence

Just wanted to add a personal recommendation. To my experience, going with a set-neck Epiphone means probably most bang for the buck. Besides other models, I think trying out Epi Les Paul guitars would be a good idea, too. They also make them including coil split at a reasonable price. Furthermore, lots of cheap guitars come with inferior parts and will call for expensive upgradings. Epiphone makes instruments featuring fine components stock.

Just my two cents...

A big subject... [thumbup]

As implied...Gibson USA make some fine blues applicable guitars

When price is an issue...Epiphone make great VFM equivalents... [thumbup]

Semis are worth considering a la BB King and Eric Clapton et al...

The SG is a great guitar for blues and other styles

As is the Firebird...(Johnny Winter, Rolling Stones and many more)...

A good amp will enhance any guitar... <_<

V

:-({|=

• 2 weeks later...

Emulate those players you like. For electric, I believe Clapton usually plays a Fender Tele. I know that's blasphemy on the Gibson Forum but Fender Squires offer a lot of bang for the buck. Traditionally many blues men(and women) have used Fenders. It has a lot to do with the neck feel you like. I like Gibson necks so I use my Gibson 330 or my Epi Joe Pass for jazz blues. But there are as many blues styles as there are types of guitars. The heart of blues comes from folks like you who don't have a lot of guitar bucks. That is why many of the old school guys got their funky sound by playing really cheap or even home-made guitars. Experiment and develop your own style. [thumbup]

Archived