Gibson Brands Forums

The Love Affairs Is Over, What's Next?

JazzGtr

I've been spending some time getting to know different types of jazz chord progressions. After two years of exploring all of the modal jazz chord progressions (Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian,,,,,,)I'm ready to move on.

What are your favorite chord progressions and why?

Jazz,

How much time do you have?

I've always enjoyed John Scofield's mastery of chords and voice leading; a near-static line over moving harmonies or even a single tone within changing chords...."Still Warm", "Time Marches On" and many more....I also like Steve Khan's modal harmonies - "Let's Call This" and "The Green Field" are 2 good CD examples...Mike Stern is good for tricky descending dominant 7ths and much more, there are so many and all the masters have their own approach. John Mclaughlin's classic "Follow Your Heart" has a lovely suspended progression.

But more generically, I like a Minor II-V-I. Go a bit further to a Coltrane-type minor blues, then further still to something like "Alfie's Theme", "Tin Tin Deo" or "Favela" (Jobim). End up at "Round Midnight" perhaps.

Then there is the blues progression itself and variations.....and standard tunes. The Bill Evans chords to the ballad "My Foolish Heart" can be found in the "Real Book" and that for instance is a stunningly beautiful progression IMO.....

Gershwin seems to have never written a bad chord progression. I'll stop there because I could go on all night.

Good topic - regards!

Gershwin seems to have never written a bad chord progression. I'll stop there because I could go on all night.

Good topic - regards!

Indeed.

Of course I love Summertime (who doesn't?) and many others but the chord progression of "It ain't necessarily so" is fantastic for me.

When I first saw this thread, I thought the question was an odd one, so I moved on. But after giving it some thought, I realized that the chord progression that I learned for My Funny Valentine is one of the prettiest that I know.

C-, C-Maj7, C-7, C-6, AbM7, F-7, D-7b5, G7b9

C-, C-Maj7, C-7, C-6, AbM7, F-7, Ab-6, Ddim

Refrain: EbM7, F-7, G-7, F-7, EbM7, F-7, G-7, F-7, EbM7, G7, C-7, Bb-7, A7, AbM7, D-7b5, G7b9, etc.

I recently heard a band play this live, and the changes in the refrain were much cooler.

Archived