Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby

houndman55

Need a bit of advice. If or rather when I get a les paul style guitar (Epiphone, Gibson or any other brand) how do I go to install a bigsby? No I don't want to it myself, I only know the playing and model aspect of guitars. I currently live in Norrkoping, Sweden. Except the lokal music chain store 4sound and of course thomann there are pretty much no other chains. Can anyone list stores that sell bigsbys and an idea for the type of business that could install it. To me a good les paul with bigsby is a match made in heaven. A price idea is not mandatory but appriciated.

Need a bit of advice. If or rather when I get a les paul style guitar (Epiphone, Gibson or any other brand) how do I go to install a bigsby? No I don't want to it myself, I only know the playing and model aspect of guitars. I currently live in Norrkoping, Sweden. Except the lokal music chain store 4sound and of course thomann there are pretty much no other chains. Can anyone list stores that sell bigsbys and an idea for the type of business that could install it. To me a good les paul with bigsby is a match made in heaven. A price idea is not mandatory but appriciated.

There a a few different models; long or short tailpiece? Tension bar in front of arm or no tension bar? Gold or chrome?

After reading your post I went to Thomann website and typed Les Paul Bigsby in the search box. Try it. You'll get prices for the Les Paul guitar with a Bigsby fitted at factory (I bought an ES175 with one from them - I have had good results and service from Thomann) or just the units themselves,which I would hope come with some fitting instructions. And look at Epiphones - Wildcat, Swingster, Riviera - very nice!

But it is not a job for the inexperienced, or even a skilled woodworker without experience of guitars or strung musical instruments. I would buy the guitar with it already on!

Do it yourself in 5 minutes with a Vibramate...a simple plate that keeps the Bigsby from touching the guitar so that you can take it off later....assuming you haven't left it on so long that the pads have reacted with the nitro finish.

I had to make a small mod on acct of mine being a lefty.

Costs?

Vibramate V7 ( <a title="External link" class="bbc_url" href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281464582719?lpid=82)....as" rel="nofollow external">http://www.ebay.com/...?lpid=82)....as low as $45...shop around.

Bigsby B7....$160 if you shop around. One company will sell the V7/B7 set for $170-ish.

Bridge saddles...you may need to improve your saddles for tuning stability...roller or tusq/graphite are common. Not sure you'd need to mess with the nut or with locking tuners.

I got a roller bridge/saddles (aftermarket, not shown in pic) from a company in England...about $25 shipped to USA...work fine. Guitar stays in tune as well as my non-Bigsby LPs.

I think it looks cool too.

48ZhW0S.jpg

Archived