Gibson Brands Forums

What's the deal with les paul weight?

houndman55

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah yes, Angus has said he tried Les Pauls and Fender Telecasters but felt the LP was too heavy and the Tele didn't have enough power. He likes 335's apparently and can be seen onstage with the Stones playing one in the early 2000's if I remember correctly. I think it was one of the only times he was without his SG.

Yes ive seen that.. here

Okay,

What deal with the les paul weight? I was at my local music store today and I tried holding a Gibson and Epiphone Les Paul Standard sitting and standing. Neither weighted a fraction of what I thought they would weight. I'm pretty sure the gibson one had weight relief but I don't know about the epiphone one. People who hate les pauls often make the point that they're too heavy. I'm 186 cm tall and weigh about 100 kg. But when you look as players like Jimmy Page, he had a les paul (the one he got from Joe Walsh) you never hear him complain that it's too heavy and I'm pretty sure he's not the biggest guy physically.

The heavier the better.

Give me a 15 pound Les Paul with a HUGE neck on it. String her up with 13's (a wound G PLEASE). Hike up the action and away we go.

Take Care,

MississippiBlue

That 355 is almost as big as he is! No wonder he stuck with SGs.

Lol! I'd love to see him play a Super 400! Mind you, in the early 80's Malcolm Young switched to a Gretsch White Falcon and I've never seen a guy look so small in comparison to a guitar!

My LP Custom 2011 checks in at 5.7 kg (12.5 lbs) and it is supposed to have the 9-holes weight relief. I really love it!

//Robert

In my opinion this is OK. A Les Paul Custom well deserves some more weight at her price point. :o

;)

All kidding aside, to my feel a light but neck-heavy guitar pulling forward across the left shoulder is more annoying than a nicely balanced heavier one. [thumbup]

1414319470[/url]' post='1582376']

In my opinion this is OK. A Les Paul Custom well deserves some more weight at her price point. :o

;)

All kidding aside, to my feel a light but neck-heavy guitar pulling forward across the left shoulder is more annoying than a nicely balanced heavier one. [thumbup]

Roger that. The weight creates a pressure against your body which for me is comfortable and a very important part of the feeling.

//Robert

Did someone say WEIGHT?

Last week Thursday I bought a 2014 Les Paul Traditional Pro2 from my Guitar Center.

I took it back for full refund on Saturday because......it was a beast....weighed in around 10 and half pounds, really felt it just lifting it up and resting it on my leg to play it.

I walked out the GC two hours later with a 2014 Les Paul Standard Plus in beautiful Cherry Burst, weighs only 7.3 pounds, big difference.

Did someone say WEIGHT?

Last week Thursday I bought a 2014 Les Paul Traditional Pro2 from my Guitar Center.

I took it back for full refund on Saturday because......it was a beast....weighed in around 10 and half pounds, really felt it just lifting it up and resting it on my leg to play it.

I walked out the GC two hours later with a 2014 Les Paul Standard Plus in beautiful Cherry Burst, weighs only 7.3 pounds, big difference.

OH MAN!!

The Heavier The Better.

If I'm gonna feel pain, make it Les Paul Pain.

New for 2016 "The Les Paul Pain" A 15 Pound Traditional Les Paul built to EXACT 1958 Les Paul Specs. Bring it on!!

Take Care and ENJOY the new guitar.

MississippiBlue

OK...I'm confused....I read on here that the LP Studio Lite. Made lighter by means of "CHROMITE"....Was actually "BALSA"....when I do a wiki search..this is the info I get.. http://en.m.wikipedi...omite_(compound). Chromite is an iron chromium oxide: FeCr2O4. It is an oxide mineral belonging to the spinel group. Magnesium can substitute for iron in variable amounts as it forms a solid solution with magnesiochromite (MgCr2O4);[5] substitution of aluminium occurs leading to hercynite (FeAl2O4).[6]It is an industrially important mineral for the production of metallic chromium, used as an alloying ingredient in stainless and tool steels.

cf Tony Bacon's book - 'The Les Paul Guitar Book'., 2009 edition, p 100;

"Gibson re-named Balsa as 'Chromite', derived from the first words of it's latin names; 'Ochroma Pyramidale' and 'Ochroma Lagopus' - perhaps because they feared balsa's 'cheap' image."

P.

You may well be correct, rct.

If so then I suppose the 'i-for-y' could be an error which crept in at the typesetting stage?

Could be that for sure. At first, when these conversations came up in these Gibson forums, I thought we knuckleheads talking about it back then on usenet had misspelled it with a y. But I looked at a friends couple ads for Studio Lites, and it was with a y. He has one, it is nice, it is fairly light, sounds like a two humbucker guitar*.

rct

*Which is different from a Gibson or a Les Paul.

Hey Good People,

I hope all is well. With all kidding aside, I just wanted to let all of you who find the weight of the Les Paul or any other guitar for that matter unbearable visit:

www.slingerstraps.com

I hope you find this information useful. I saw Walter Trout using this type of strap and hopefully it puts and end to the pain a heavy guitar can bring to your back and shoulders. Play on Good People. Play on.

Take care everyone.

Kindest Regards,

MississippiBlue

I'm 5'7 and a small build i owned a 78 and it was heavy as,it was not that it was too heavy it just wasn't fun to play IMO..I used to play in a punk/hard rock band and by the end of the show i was finished.If i was in blues band or just played in my bedroom or played just standing on in spot and not moving i wouldn't have cared.I sold it in the end and bought a strat.

I only bought another Les Paul(07) when i heard one at the club i was at and really liked the sound of it and the owner told me it was chambered.I picked it up and i was in love!

It took me six months to hunt one down a year ago..This thing cuts like a knife at gig volume.,heaps of sustain and attack.Perfect i say.

Archived