Gibson Brands Forums

A Bird at last !!

PiedmontPicker

After years and years of wanting a Gibson acoustic, I finally purchased my sweet baby, a gently used 2013 Hummingbird. Along with the Guild d 55, the Hummingbird has been my holy grail guitar. I'll turn 60 next June so I shamelessly pulled the I'm turning 60 life is so short card to get the green light from my better half. In the past, every time I intended to seek out a Gibson, I always found something else. No complaints mind you, because I've slowly collected four keeper acoustics that I will one day pass along to my daughter. I now have a great and fine example of a Taylor, a Yairi, a Guild and now a Gibson ( never wanted a Martin for some reason although I've enjoyed some of my favorite musicians playing them for years ).

Now to my Hummingbird. Not a big fan of Guitar Center but this is where it showed up advertised as a "maple" Hummingbird. I've seen the quilted maple birds and that is what I expected when I drove to the Durham GC. What I saw was a drop dead gorgeous spruce and hog honey burst Bird. When I told the sales guy that I know hog when I see it, he insisted the TOP was maple and said it with such conviction that I called Gibson only to find out what I already knew, there is no such thing as a Bird with a maple top. Don't you just love GC ?! Anyway, they were plenty nice. I sat down to play MY Hummingbird ( yes I already knew I would not leave the store without it )and even with very old strings in the midst of typical GC noise I felt the vibration through my body and heard and felt the Gibson thump. I didn't play numerous Birds or A/B it against the J-45 or HB Pro on the wall. It's not a loud in your face guitar with ringing harmonics but I've got that base covered. It does has a warm intimate tone that will only improve with fresh strings and age. Nothing like the smell of a new guitar, but I know as the smell slowly diminishes and the wood vibrates and dehydrates the tone will ripen to perfection. I get giddy just knowing I now have my Hummingbird and when I catch a glimpse of me in the mirror with the Bird hanging from around my neck, I get goose bumps and feel blessed beyond belief !

After years and years of wanting a Gibson acoustic, I finally purchased my sweet baby, a gently used 2013 Hummingbird. Along with the Guild d 55, the Hummingbird has been my holy grail guitar. I'll turn 60 next June so I shamelessly pulled the I'm turning 60 life is so short card to get the green light from my better half. In the past, every time I intended to seek out a Gibson, I always found something else. No complaints mind you, because I've slowly collected four keeper acoustics that I will one day pass along to my daughter. I now have a great and fine example of a Taylor, a Yairi, a Guild and now a Gibson ( never wanted a Martin for some reason although I've enjoyed some of my favorite musicians playing them for years ).

Now to my Hummingbird. Not a big fan of Guitar Center but this is where it showed up advertised as a "maple" Hummingbird. I've seen the quilted maple birds and that is what I expected when I drove to the Durham GC. What I saw was a drop dead gorgeous spruce and hog honey burst Bird. When I told the sales guy that I know hog when I see it, he insisted the TOP was maple and said it with such conviction that I called Gibson only to find out what I already knew, there is no such thing as a Bird with a maple top. Don't you just love GC ?! Anyway, they were plenty nice. I sat down to play MY Hummingbird ( yes I already knew I would not leave the store without it )and even with very old strings in the midst of typical GC noise I felt the vibration through my body and heard and felt the Gibson thump. I didn't play numerous Birds or A/B it against the J-45 or HB Pro on the wall. It's not a loud in your face guitar with ringing harmonics but I've got that base covered. It does has a warm intimate tone that will only improve with fresh strings and age. Nothing like the smell of a new guitar, but I know as the smell slowly diminishes and the wood vibrates and dehydrates the tone will ripen to perfection. I get giddy just knowing I now have my Hummingbird and when I catch a glimpse of me in the mirror with the Bird hanging from around my neck, I get goose bumps and feel blessed beyond belief !

Congratulations! Enjoy it!! I just can't stop playing mine! oh, and post some pictures please, we will love to see it.

Mr GIBS, thanks for posting the video. well done, you're coaxing some mighty sweet tones from that Bird. My Bird is a bit darker on the edges with less yellow in the finish. I do understand that lighting plays a roll. I called mine Honeyburst earlier, but I've seen people post pictures of Heritage Cherry Birds that look like that too so I'm not exactly sure. I always thought the HC finish had lots of red, like you often see on Gibson Dove guitars. I guess there is a complete continuum from Heritage Cherry all the way through Tobacco Burst. Whatever mine is officially called, I call it BEAUTIFUL. When I get my act together, I'll post some pics.

Thanks, SOG, for posting the pics of your outrageously beautiful Hummingbird ! My guitar came equipped with some of the oldest worn out strings imaginable. I have always been a medium kind of guy but I decided to shuffle the deck reading so often on this forum that light strings are the way to go with a bird. Granted, given the despicable shape of the old strings, anything would sound great in comparison. But I'm here to tell you that the D'Addario EJ 16 PB strings are HEAVEN on my new ax!! WOW !! I'm sure I'll do some more string experimentation, but for now I can't imagine any other strings would be an improvement. Let the good times roll !

But I'm here to tell you that the D'Addario EJ 16 PB strings are HEAVEN on my new ax!! WOW !! I'm sure I'll do some more string experimentation, but for now I can't imagine any other strings would be an improvement.

Let the good times roll !

Helousa PiedmontPicker -

Glad to hear D'Addarios still do it - should we call them the 6-span work-horses of acoustic steel.

Haven't used them a while, but they are always there in store somewhere (shop/shelf/mind).

Is it in your cards to show a couple of pics of your new guitar. . .

Hang with me Em7, I'm a little stack in the picture department but my aim is to get it in gear and post some pictures asap. Seems like every spare minute of my personal time is spent with my new lady bird. As they say, a picture is worth 1,000,000 words so I will try to get my act together. I certainly enjoy seeing all of the guitar pics posted and they are always much appreciated.

My 2010 H'Bird is the one I would keep if I could only have one. It is "comfortable" to play, begs you to slide and hammer, loves picks as much as fingers and has an understated presence that lets you know it can do anything you throw at it. And, as many guitar purists have stated - it is the most beautiful and representative example of "The Acoustic Guitar"! And, best of all, it sounds best of all!

Congratulations!. I'm the same. After many years of waiting ( not so many like you) I finally managed to get the guitar of my dreams. It is 2006 and not only looks amazing. It has an amazing sound !

275FE3CA-EED0-4233-9C71-182F43A352F4_zpsusjfk38p.jpg

B45F7767-123A-4435-A854-CEEDE57392D4_zpsqrgyn8t0.jpg

0B5FC992-0471-4CA0-88D9-B1E1C0E05915_zpstt0j1d0h.jpg

5FF9DFF9-8F44-4181-BFF8-BBB92D2B04AA_zpsmepebjiw.jpg

56C10AA0-F3AF-47E7-8DE0-6B1BE83177D5_zpslsprkgbf.jpg

06ECBC79-B64C-4928-B7F6-7C51648EF895_zpsv551x2pf.jpg

Hum that is a good looking Bird! [thumbup]

Archived