Gibson Brands Forums

About to buy a J150

ServantOfGod

I 'm about to buy a J -150 from a local guy . To buy it I'll have to sell my J45 and put up a few bills . I love the look of it, but honestly I've never played one. Gibson has discontinued this model . I have some doubt about the size of this. Is it larger or the same size as the J -185 ? Here are photos of the actual guitar that I buy (if I found a buyer for my J45)

_DSC7070_zps12b7076b.jpg

_DSC7071_zps1092de4e.jpg

_DSC7072_zpsd209eb3a.jpg

_DSC7073_zps9d5bc821.jpg

It's exactly the same size as a standard J-200, and materials are the same on the one you are considering - minus neck binding & a few other detail changes.

Some can sound stellar, while others can be rather dull. It's a crapshoot if you haven't played it, so having return rights would be wise. The 2001 model I had was identical & had a nice even tone from string to string, but it had to go due to a neck twist.

I have that model, and play it daily as one of my two 'most oftens' around the house. It's as bobouz said. I sure like mine, always have felt so and would not sell it. But, every Gibson is an individual. The return right would make it a safe venture.

I have that model, and play it daily as one of my two 'most oftens' around the house. It's as bobouz said. I sure like mine, always have felt so and would not sell it. But, every Gibson is an individual. The return right would make it a safe venture.

Thank you. Since I am buying it local I will have the opportunity to play it before I buy it. Is it the same size of The SJ models?

OP - Guess those above have answered your question on size! I enjoy my J-150. It's a fine guitar. I do have an SJ-200 with which to compare. One has all the frills, the J-150 is without such and that lack of bling is fine. The unbound neck is a pleasure to play. If I can answer any additional specifics let me know. Do put the one you are looking at through its paces just to be sure. Good luck! - steve w.

OP - Guess those above have answered your question on size! I enjoy my J-150. It's a fine guitar. I do have an SJ-200 with which to compare. One has all the frills, the J-150 is without such and that lack of bling is fine. The unbound neck is a pleasure to play. If I can answer any additional specifics let me know. Do put the one you are looking at through its paces just to be sure. Good luck! - steve w.

Thank you All. I just called Gibson to ask about the year, and it is a 1999. It should sound really good! I just need to check the condition.

It looks like I am keeping it, since I can't sell it. It's incredible ! At the time when not wanted to sell, everybody asked me if I would sell . And now I can not sell it ! [cursing]

Same thing happens every time I sell. You are not alone! By the way, I just bought a 2001 J-150 last week. Probably the best purchase I've ever made.

Same thing happens every time I sell. You are not alone! By the way, I just bought a 2001 J-150 last week. Probably the best purchase I've ever made.

Are you trying to kill me? [biggrin] I am very anxious to make this change!. Congrats on your new J150! Pictures please!

Unofrunately I will not be able to buy it. [sad]

With the help of this forum, I was able to communicate with one of the members here who bought one recently and shared the price he paid for it, which helped me a lot to determine the true value of this.

I have another guitar for sale, in which I am losing a lot, and if I buy the J150 for the price he is selling me, still represent a major loss if the I decide to sell it (I am constantly buying and selling to try and experiment ).

Please if you find one out there at a reasonable price and let me know.

Im curious what he was asking, from the one's Ive seen the going price is no more that $1,500. Ive paid $1,400 for mine couple years ago.

Unofrunately I will not be able to buy it. [sad]

With the help of this forum, I was able to communicate with one of the members here who bought one recently and shared the price he paid for it, which helped me a lot to determine the true value of this.

I have another guitar for sale, in which I am losing a lot, and if I buy the J150 for the price he is selling me, still represent a major loss if the I decide to sell it (I am constantly buying and selling to try and experiment ).

Please if you find one out there at a reasonable price and let me know.

Then the seller is going to have that one for sale for a good long while. As EA suggested, the J-150 should be findable for $1400->$1500. The market for guitars, as well as other discretionary spending items/collectibles has really changed. If someone is trying-on a number of guitars in search of a good fit, something departing from the iconic form of that guitar, such as mods or custom colors, might significantly reduce the interest in that particular guitar, even if that guitar was only driven to church on Sundays by a little old lady who only played family-friendly cowboy chords. A price adjustment would be in order, leaving one maybe +/- $250 away from the get-in price of trying on a J-150.

Then the seller is going to have that one for sale for a good long while. As EA suggested, the J-150 should be findable for $1400->$1500. The market for guitars, as well as other discretionary spending items/collectibles has really changed. If someone is trying-on a number of guitars in search of a good fit, something departing from the iconic form of that guitar, such as mods or custom colors, might significantly reduce the interest in that particular guitar, even if that guitar was only driven to church on Sundays by a little old lady who only played family-friendly cowboy chords. A price adjustment would be in order, leaving one maybe +/- $250 away from the get-in price of trying on a J-150.

Apparently the seller is not in a hurry to sell this . I saw it two months ago in the classifieds for $2000 and I wrote to him. It was when I was still not done much search and offered $ 1,750. Time passed and postings are expired. After rejecting my new offer $1500 has not put it up for sale again in the classifieds. Too bad for me. It's hard to find one.

Archived