Gibson Brands Forums

Please HELP me ID the BEAUTY!

Thanks. I did just that. I'm confused though. I got an email from a nice guy on another forum saying he though it was a 1976 from the pictures. (here is his reply)

"It appears to be a '76; pancake body, volute on neck, waffle back Kluson tuners, "nashville" bridge (began seeng them in '75).

It's been refretted, knobs are new. Open the control cavity and look at the pots, there should be week/year on those. That would correspond to the guitar's manufacture"

The pot codes came up as: Potentiometer Info: (#1377230) This potentiometer was made by CTS Corporation (Chicago Telephone Supply)in the 30th week of 1972.

Any thoughts?

Your decoding of the pot codes IS correct, so the guitar could not have been assembled before Late-72. These pot codes are probably where the "'73" originates from.

As for the other observations:

It DOES have a "Nashville" bridge. I don't know when they were introduced, my '75 Standard has one though.

The "Made in USA" stamp and "volute" both started in 1970. So this is really no help.

According to my records, the 6XX,XXX serial numbers (post volute) were used in 70, 71, 72, 74, and 75.

I think the "Nashville" bridge may be the key here!

Archived