Gibson Brands Forums

Did a "shop" job on the Explorer

crust

I don't want to "route" a hole. I might get a mounting adapter so as not to drill holes in the top, a vibramate thing and a string change "helper". What do you think of that ? If I have the guitar routed out, or do it myself with a mill, I think the loss of wood there might affect the tonal properties of that instrument....what do you think ? also change to graphite saddles and a roller bridge with the Bigsby..

I don't want to "route" a hole. I might get a mounting adapter so as not to drill holes in the top, a vibramate thing and a string change "helper". What do you think of that ? If I have the guitar routed out, or do it myself with a mill, I think the loss of wood there might affect the tonal properties of that instrument....what do you think ? also change to graphite saddles and a roller bridge with the Bigsby..

To me it looks like you already drilled holes into the top. My biggest concern with respect to routing for Floyd Rose would be the subsequent finishing. Moreover, any FR system requires a locking nut for tuning stability.

There are many points to think about. I prefer Floyd Rose systems and din't experience any adverse effects to tone, in particular when thinking about my Gibson Alex Lifeson Axcess piezo-FR Les Paul. When comparing the Lyra/Maestro vibrola on my Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs, it is of next to no use, including the drop-in roller bridge T-O-M replacements. On the other hand, like a Bigsby, it allows for full use of palm-muting on the bridge. Despite of that, I prefer the six of my Floyd Rose guitars, and also reject a back-stop device. I just take care to not let pitches go sharp when palm muting slightly off the bridge.

Hey i think you did a great job on it . can you put a E in place of the F. There you go i would remove the F and paint it all black and get a foil E for it

no holes , just the photoshop job that did that, it's still stock. I have broken the high E string 3 times since I got it. I'm "heavy handed", and bend the strings a lot when I jam and improvise in my playing style. I am going to have to put graphite saddles on this one (and the cherry LP Plus top pro, has a similar "problem".) msp_mellow.gif

can you put a E in place of the F. There you go i would remove the F and paint it all black and get a foil E for it

Feel free to "shop" that pic, anyone, and post the "revised" photo.. As to "paint it black":...ummm, not this one...msp_biggrin.gif

no holes , just the photoshop job that did that, it's still stock. I have broken the high E string 3 times since I got it. I'm "heavy handed", and bend the strings a lot when I jam and improvise in my playing style. I am going to have to put graphite saddles on this one (and the cherry LP Plus top pro, has a similar "problem".) msp_mellow.gif

[scared] Didn't get that "shop" is meaning "photo shop" here. [blush] Sorry for my gaps in English, I thought you referred to "guitar shop" or "work shop", saying you already performed a DIY mod??!? [confused] So your Explorer is still fine. [biggrin][rolleyes]

Had heavy hands for many years, too. I was notorious for being a passionate E1st killer. [unsure] ;)

[scared] Didn't get that "shop" is meaning "photo shop" here. [blush] Sorry for my gaps in English, I thought you referred to "guitar shop" or "work shop", saying you already performed a DIY mod??!? [confused] So your Explorer is still fine. [biggrin][rolleyes]

Had heavy hands for many years, too. I was notorious for being a passionate E1st killer. [unsure] ;)

I think Crust likes to mess with us .

Archived