Gibson Brands Forums

Ebola out break in U.S.

4Hayden

Wow. You sir must be both an avid reader and a critical thinker. Did you like Carlin?

Your comprehension and retention is (mostly; nobody's poifect) always translated into a concise, informative post...and your humor? fuhgetaboutit... [woot]

Well, probably not really, not in real life. I actually am a person that remembers very well how Cable TeeVee was going to change Everything. NO MORE COMMMERCIALS. MTV's first day was a giant party. When CNN came along it was like, man, this is going to be cool just getting news whenever you want it. The Weather Channel? Holy Crap, that was like a miracle.

Today, look at how that all worked out for us. 200 a fukking month for cable and fast internet, and on the fukking cable is nothing but the same pathetic fukking channels of these fukking losers stinking the place up over and over again between ever longer commercials for the fukking cable company you are watching because most places you got no choice.

rct

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today, look at how that all worked out for us. 200 a fukking month for cable and fast internet, and on the fukking cable is nothing but the same pathetic fukking channels of these fukking losers stinking the place up over and over again between ever longer commercials for the fukking cable company you are watching because most places you got no choice.

rct

Exactly! And they'll even charge you for the DeeVeeAr to avoid the commercials. Now consider how the internet quickly became a place for Madison Ave to stuff even more sh1t in our faces.

People complain about the lack of morals/ethics on Wall St. Check out Madison Ave's tactics some time. We're talking full on psych-in-your-head warfare for your $$ that makes bankers look like Saints.

Exactly! And they'll even charge you for the DeeVeeAr to avoid the commercials.

When that Tivo thing started taking off, there were all these meetings and hearings about how it was illegal to record programs and people were going to record shows and could even charge people to watch them at "viewing parties". Seriously.

A guy from Sony Entertainment, a massive corporate machine that owns content, distribution, and viewing outlets made the serious mistake of letting slip the actual problem all these guys had with recording material at their own pace to watch on their own time.

"We consider watching our content without the commercials to be theft".

Today, our On Demand has begun slowly but surely disabling fast forward on the cable remote for more and more On Demand.

That pretty much sums up the complete wrong anyone might be that thinks any of this crap is about what viewers want.

rct

I can't live without Project Runway. Or Top Chef. Inkmasters. Ghost Hunters. Face Off. Cupcake Wars. Bring It. Any show with Giorgio A. Tsoukalos and the other scientist nutcakes he has on with him. Buncha other goofy shows that generally entertain.

I'm a sophisticated television watcher. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

rct

My wife and I watched the season finale of Project Runway with our friend Amanda the other night. She was robbed! A fact that has effected my life a hell of a lot more than Ebola.. [blink]

I was surprised she got that far! Must have been a great experience. The guy that won did some pretty good stuff. Probably one of the best groups of amateurs they've ever had!

rct

Just to put some things into perspective, here's a letter forwarded to me that's from a veterinarian.

=-=-= m -=--===

If I wish to import a horse into the United States from Liberia or any African country other than Morocco, the horse needs to undergo a 60 day quarantine period at a USDA approved quarantine facility prior to mingling with the general population of horses in this country.

Africa has a disease called African Horse Sickness that does not exist in the US; this is the way we have kept it out of this country. African Horse Sickness does not cause disease in people, only horses; our government has determined that it would be devastating to the US horse industry if it were to come here.

The United States (and virtually all other countries) require a myriad of tests and often quarantine prior to bringing in a foreign animal.

I can’t legally cross state lines in the United States with a horse or cow without a health certificate signed by a USDA accredited

veterinarian stating that the animal has been inspected and found free of infectious disease. In most cases blood tests are also required. In fact I can’t legally cross the Snake River and ride my horse in Idaho without a health certificate and a negative blood test for Equine

Infectious Anemia.

I’m not complaining; the United States of America, the States of Idaho and Washington as well as the other 48 states take the health of our livestock very seriously, and we have a very good record at keeping foreign animal diseases out of our country. I am happy to do my part to maintain biosecurity in our animal population.

If I am a resident of Liberia incubating Ebola, to enter the United States all I need to do is present a valid visa, and lie when asked if

I have been exposed to Ebola. Within hours (no quarantine required) I can be walking the streets of any city in the United States.

I feel very fortunate to live in a country that values our animals so highly.

David A. Rustebakke, DVM

milod,

This makes good copy. But the fact of the matter is the health certificate requirement for crossing state lines is an absolute joke. It is never enforced and any of your rodeo friends will tell you this. I have hauled and showed horses all of my adult life all over the Midwest and have never been asked for a health certificate (nor a coggins test). The exception this has been when showing on a State Fair grounds I have needed health certificates to enter the grounds since these are managed by state officials, but never to enter the state.

Any of those times when I was going to a state fair ground I would simply call my vet and tell him that I needed health certificates and he would ask me how many. I would tell him and he would say "I will have them in my mailbox outside the clinic." Never so much as taking a temperature. This is not the exception; this is common knowledge/practice among horse show people.

This is exactly the reason so many AQHA shows were cancelled due to the Equine Herpesvirus type-1 (EHV-1) outbreak in the midwest this spring. I also know of some NRHA (National Reining Horse Association) shows getting cancelled. I am sure there were some hunter/jumper or english type shows cancelled but I don't travel in that circle.

This spring I took two horses to the vet school at K-State (Manhattan, KS). Not only did I not need a health certificate to cross the Nebraska/Kansas State line, I didn't need one to go to the vet school!!!!!! [unsure][scared]

My wife and I watched the season finale of Project Runway with our friend Amanda the other night. She was robbed! A fact that has effected my life a hell of a lot more than Ebola.. [blink]

My wife and I love that show! reality TV where the people actually are worth taking note of and have talent!

Kudos to Amanda for coming back and making it that far! She deserved it.

But Sean was the visionary Designer of this past season… I knew very early on that he was going to win the whole thing.

My wife and I love that show! reality TV where the people actually are worth taking note of and have talent!

Kudos to Amanda for coming back and making it that far! She deserved it.

But Sean was the visionary Designer of this past season… I knew very early on that he was going to win the whole thing.

I didn;t think to much of his work. Looked like he was trying out to be Jim Hensons assistant to me. But Amanda says I'm too hard on him. [biggrin]

Regarding Ebola spreading by air, this is an interesting read:

http://www.naturalne...n_usamriid.html

Ian

PS it looks to me like you'd better enjoy your money now, just spend it all on new Gibson's! Now which U.K dealers have one of those 335 Lemon Bursts?

That's the book I recommended 3,711 posts back. 'Demon In The Freezer' is another by the same author re: Pox viruses.

Well... according to Agence France-Presse run on Yahoo's news "front page," California is joining states in the US with an ebola stand that includes quarantine.

It ain't "party politics" or even "left vs right," but rather recognition that the general "politics" of such a public concern will require some response by "leaders."

Argument may be made for or against the decision, but one should note that several U.S. states and various nations have included ebola quarantines of various sorts regardless of the normally "partisan" politics one might point to.

m -=-=--=-=-=-=-=

Los Angeles (United States) (AFP) - California announced new quarantine guidelines Wednesday for people arriving in the western state deemed to pose a risk of spreading Ebola.

"Today we're establishing a statewide, standard protocol requiring some level of quarantine for those at highest risk of contracting and spreading Ebola," said CDPH director Ron Chapman.

"This order will protect the health and safety of Californians and support the state's local health officers' existing authority to develop protections against disease spread," he added.

Archived